Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

31 year old refused alcohol sale!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

ondadole wrote: »
    I worked hard here and paid my taxes for almost 12 years in Ireland and to be refused alcohol on the basis that I might be 17 years old or younger................

That is genuinely one of the silliest things I have ever read. What does you having worked hard & paid your taxes have to do with getting served alcohol? You're living in a country where the responsibilty/blame for underaged people drinking has been taken off them & their parents and put onto the shop or pub that serves them. Shops selling alcohol now have to be incredibly careful or as I mentioned lose their business! The risk of embarrassing a customer isn't worth that.

If you genuinely really look your age there's a chance that you went to buy booze the day the shop you were in had a near miss/had already accidentally already sold alcohol to someone they shouldn't have/had a visit from the gardai etc. etc. and the cashiers were being super vigilant, don't take it personally. You say you were refused service abroad last year so chances are you look younger than you are and you should carry id buying alcohol. If you were living somewhere like the states you'd always be asked for it buying booze, no matter what age you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

MyKeyG wrote: »
    So you knew he was of legal age and you asked him anyway? Now that's just being a...
    Well you didn't say it was in the UK but either way your entire contribution to a thread concerning practises in the ROI is moot wouldn't you say?

Actually it was me who you replied to and in fact I did not ask him, somebody else di so I wasnt being a .....
    it was only due to the fact that I was so persistent in asking for id that he was eventually served, I remember him being annoyed until I told him if I didnt know him I wouldnt have served him either.
    I was trusted in saying he was old enough as I was the mos tpersistent person in asking for id

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Well you didn't say it was in the UK but either way your entire contribution to a thread concerning practises in the ROI is moot wouldn't you say?

My local Tesco express does have a sign up about need id if you look under 25 for buying alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

gurramok wrote: »

My local Tesco express does have a sign up about need id if you look under 25 for buying alcohol.
    That's store policy. Once again this thread is concerning the law of the land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Apple_Mc

Its the same in Aldi. I seen a man with his two children being asked for ID for three bottles of wine he had among his shopping. He didn't have any and they took it from him and wouldn't sell it! Werid - he didn't look in anyway underage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Is the OP aware that the fine for selling alcohol to underage drinkers is €4000 and a criminal record. Now I have not served alcohol in Ireland, but have elsewhere and carded regularly. And at the ripe old age of forty-blaaaagh and with visible grey hair I get carded every single time at the supermarket here in the US.Not a problem and no offence caused.

Now would you risk a criminal record and a €4,000 fine if you were a minimum wage cashier. Damned if I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

MadsL wrote: »
    Is the OP aware that the fine for selling alcohol to underage drinkers is €4000 and a criminal record. Now I have not served alcohol in Ireland, but have elsewhere and carded regularly. And at the ripe old age of forty-blaaaagh and with visible grey hair I get carded every single time at the supermarket here in the US.Not a problem and no offence caused.

Now would you risk a criminal record and a €4,000 fine if you were a minimum wage cashier. Damned if I would.

Don't forget that the person who sold it gets sacked. Seriously. It is written into your contract- immediate dismissal. Nothing like a bit of personal incentive to be strict about IDs. Also the store may have to shut down for a day or more while it applies for and regains its license to sell alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Well I'm nearly an oap and have noticed in one branch of Aldi in particular down here that the till operators (some of them though not all) ask with a grin I take it your over 18.

From the post above I guess some of them are just covering their own backs should a dispute arise for whatever reason.

All seems a bit OTT but then in these times perhaps maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I don't know what Aldi/Lidl's 'punishment' for the staff if they sell to underagers is. Dunnes definitely do fire over this, I'm pretty sure Tesco do as well- they are even stricter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread closed - otherwise, I've got a feeling that it will keep rumbling on otherwise

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement