Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Scratch...

• 13-02-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Having completed the Dublin City Marathon last year (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056284454), I did exactly what I said I wouldn't do and that was 'Stop Running'. I had decided to take two weeks off, but that turned into two months and more.

So, after almost three and a half months of procrastinating, I went for a run yesterday. I was dreading it, as I hadn't run a single step since the 31st of October. I took to the treadmill and was delighted when I passed the five minute mark (I couldn't run for five minutes straight when I started running almost two years ago) and when I was still going after 20 minutes I decided to up the pace.

I spent all of last year concentrating on endurance because my main aim was to complete the marathon. My goal this year is to increase pace and concentrate on shorter distances (a half-marathon at most).

My plan yesterday was to check how far back my fitness had fallen and I was thrilled that I'm not as out of shape as I thought I was. After 20 minutes at a steady (slow :o) pace, I increased the speed a notch every 30 seconds and really enjoyed pushing myself to see how far I could go while maintaining the increased pace.

I decided to stop after 30 minutes, happy in the knowledge that I could've continued, but not wanting to risk injury on my first outing. I have been warned by my husband though that the first run back after an extended rest is usually OK and that the second run is the one that will disappoint. I don't mind though, I can deal with the physical pain that may bring, now that I have been mentally appeased that I haven't lost ALL of my fitness and that I can still at least do 30 minutes without stopping.

I have signed up for the Half-Marathon in Limerick on the 6th of May and so my official training starts for that on the week of the 20/02/12. I'm going with a 3 day a week training plan which includes speedwork (totally new to me). I'll see how it goes...

Sunday, 12/02/12 -

Distance: n/a
    Time: 30 minutes
    Average Pace: n/a
    Breakdown: n/a
    Weather: Treadmill
    Analysis: Positive start - slight chest pain as lungs opened up, wore off after about 20 minutes - happy to be back running

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good to see you back MaryS :)
    Best of luck with the new goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi Mary, Welcome back. How are you getting on with the return??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Just saw this now. delighted to see you back Mary, you were missed around here:). Hope you have kept the comeback going. If not though, dont worry just hop back up on that treadmill and start again.

Advertisement