Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pajero Junior?

• 13-02-2012 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Does anyone here have any experience of the Pajero Junior? Looking at getting one with a tow bar for very occasional use / pulling a very light boat on a single axle trailer, not interested in a big Diesel 4x4 as we have 2 cars already,
    Just wondering if anyone here has had one and what are they like to drive / Economy / Reliability.
    And finally which would be better Manual or Automatic.

I've seen a few on Donedeal / Carzone which look like good value:pac:

Thank-you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Buffman

Have you actually found one with a drawbar?

I'm afraid this is probably one the most unsuitable vehicles for towing anything. It's very small, high and light (>1000kg), with a small engine (1.1L), and I'd imaging that towing anything would affect the performance and handling so much that it could be dangerous.

What 2 cars have you got now? Odds are they're more suitable for towing your small boat.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Buffman wrote: »
    Have you actually found one with a drawbar?

I'm afraid this is probably one the most unsuitable vehicles for towing anything. It's very small, high and light (>1000kg), with a small engine (1.1L), and I'd imaging that towing anything would affect the performance and handling so much that it could be dangerous.

What 2 cars have you got now? Odds are they're more suitable for towing your small boat.

A friend of mine has one, it's a 2.0 petrol auto one, and he tows a boat occasionally with it. He loves it, and apart from needing one seized brake caliper replacing, has needed nothing for several years. Not great on juice, but you wouldn't expect it to, either.....but seems to tow fine. Not everyday, mind.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    A friend of mine has one, it's a 2.0 petrol auto one, and he tows a boat occasionally with it. He loves it, and apart from needing one seized brake caliper replacing, has needed nothing for several years. Not great on juice, but you wouldn't expect it to, either.....but seems to tow fine. Not everyday, mind.

Are you sure that's a Pajero Junior? They came with 0.6 and 1.1 petrol.

Your friend might have the Pajero Pinin, which came in 1.8 and 2.0 petrol, and would be a bit better for towing alright.

Junior:

View2-9450252.jpeg

Pinin:

View2-9807300.jpeg

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Very occasional use? Like every weekend?

You may be better off getting a dual axle trailer and using one of your cars to tow it.

My reasoning being:

Less pull on the rear suspension of towing car.
    Cheaper than buying and insuring/taxing a new car.
    And also the fact that you're driving something your familiar with, which would be an advantage.

Then again, if you can afford another car/jeep to do this, who am I to stop you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

barura wrote: »
    You may be better off getting a dual axle trailer and using one of your cars to tow it.

can you legaly two a twin axle trailer with a car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Yes provided it's within the manufacturer's towing limits for the vehicle (and your licence).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Suzuki Jimny might be suitable too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

Thanks for all the replies guys....I suppose I'm looking for an impossible combination

Cheap to tax + Insure
    Reasonably Reliable
    Tow Bar

We were thinking of getting a separate vehicle for doing the towing and doing the Odd trip to the Dump, etc. and having the option of 4 wheel drive would be handy too. I guess the Pajero junior would be too light for our needs,

Thanks Bazz for suggesting the Jimny, will look into that option also, I think they come in a 1.3L petrol option only?

gonzo1 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies guys....I suppose I'm looking for an impossible combination

Cheap to tax + Insure
    Reasonably Reliable
    Tow Bar

We were thinking of getting a separate vehicle for doing the towing and doing the Odd trip to the Dump, etc. and having the option of 4 wheel drive would be handy too. I guess the Pajero junior would be too light for our needs,

Thanks Bazz for suggesting the Jimny, will look into that option also, I think they come in a 1.3L petrol option only?

unless your getting commercial tax your not going to get something with very good towing abilities with cheap tax.

how about upgrading one of your daily cars to something with more towing power. something like a vitara or santa-fe??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

gonzo1 wrote: »

Cheap to tax + Insure
    Reasonably Reliable
    Tow Bar

why not get yourself a commercial regular pajero or something similar, much better towing, cheaper tax (€310) and cheaper insurance a pickup would also be worth looking into if you need 5 seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

db330 wrote: »
    why not get yourself a commercial regular pajero or something similar, much better towing, cheaper tax (€310) and cheaper insurance a pickup would also be worth looking into if you need 5 seats.

Can I tax something like this Commercially even if I'm not VAt registered? That's why I was thinking of the Pajero Junior or Jimny up to the 1.3L engine, and then tax them privately. I will be doing a bit of towing, but trailer weights will be very small. Although If I could get something like a Commercial regular Pajero or similar and tax it for 310e per year I wouldn't rule it out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

Alot depends on your local tax office, but alot of friends of mine have commercial vehicles and haven't had a problem taxing them commercially, its definitely worth looking into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Buffman wrote: »
    Your friend might have the Pajero Pinin, which came in 1.8 and 2.0 petrol, and would be a bit better for towing alright.

Pinin:

View2-9807300.jpeg

Actually, you're right: it IS a Pinin - I never noticed it was the 'in-between' size !! :p

Mind you, his is a LWB (?) 4-door, not a shorty 2-door. Average mpg is high 20's, solo. (he commutes in it, town work)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Daihatsu Terios, as an alternative option to a Jimny? Just to broaden your options, no idea of their relative merits.

db330 wrote: »
    Alot depends on your local tax office, but alot of friends of mine have commercial vehicles and haven't had a problem taxing them commercially, its definitely worth looking into

the problem is you wont know how dificult it is to tax it until i have it purchased, then its too late. you could be forced to sell it or fork out for private tax which on a 2.5/2.8/3.1 aint cheap:D

galwaytt wrote: »
    Actually, you're right: it IS a Pinin - I never noticed it was the 'in-between' size !! :p

Mind you, his is a LWB (?) 4-door, not a shorty 2-door. Average mpg is high 20's, solo. (he commutes in it, town work)

Ye, the LWB Pinin is rare enough here, considering the rarity of the Pinin overall. It's called the iO outside of Europe.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-mZzZNp0SENU8ER_Dxsp4My0UwD8KMS4Nu4tGsmL25zsSfiUF6Q

sean1141 wrote: »
    the problem is you wont know how dificult it is to tax it until i have it purchased, then its too late. you could be forced to sell it or fork out for private tax which on a 2.5/2.8/3.1 aint cheap:D

Yep, there is a long thread about commercial tax here, all comes down to which county you're in at the end of the day.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

I have a Junior with towbar & use it every weekend for going to the Dump as well as collecting bags of feed or garden items. Have a normal 2 wheel trailer & you wouldn't even know it was there.
    I wouldn't go pulling a trailer full of rubble but for the normal Joe soap I can't see an issue from having one if wanting to do light activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I have a Junior with towbar & use it every weekend for going to the Dump as well as collecting bags of feed or garden items. Have a normal 2 wheel trailer & you wouldn't even know it was there.
    I wouldn't go pulling a trailer full of rubble but for the normal Joe soap I can't see an issue from having one if wanting to do light activity.

Taking 4 years to get home would put me off it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement