Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers FC lodge papers to go into administration

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

SantryRed wrote: »
    Why would any of the Division 3 or 2 clubs vote Yes? They're screwing themselves out of two big gates for a season.

Because the SPL are threatening to stop the settlement agreement which roughly works out as £60,000 to each of the clubs in the SFL. Its a **** financial model anyways. The sooner the SPL and SFL are streamlined the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

some mess.

the sfa may have stung themselves by trying to force the SFL clubs into abandoning the rules and allowing Rangers into division1.

Even allowing Rangers into division3 would need the SFL to bend the rules because the new club have no accounts but if the SFA create a rift with their bully boy tactics they could even mess up their own worst case scenario.

Personally I think starting again in division3 would be fair and the SFA/SFL would be correct in waiving the rules regarding 3 years accounts to facilitate them but the way things are going with the SFA messing about I wouldn't be surprised if Rangers have to take a year (or 3) out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭RoryMac

bobmalooka wrote: »
    some mess.

the sfa may have stung themselves by trying to force the SFL clubs into abandoning the rules and allowing Rangers into division1.

Even allowing Rangers into division3 would need the SFL to bend the rules because the new club have no accounts but if the SFA create a rift with their bully boy tactics they could even mess up their own worst case scenario.

Personally I think starting again in division3 would be fair and the SFA/SFL would be correct in waiving the rules regarding 3 years accounts to facilitate them but the way things are going with the SFA messing about I wouldn't be surprised if Rangers have to take a year (or 3) out.

I think Rangers not playing next year is a strong possibility at this stage. I'm away on holiday for a couple of weeks and doubt anything much will change in that time at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

All three of these clubs have the prerequisite books in order and without joking are more likely to be in a position to play in the 3rd Division as nobody will be able to challenge their entry in a court.
    bobmalooka wrote: »
    some mess.

There are no rules in the SFL rule book that state a club has to have three years accounts to apply for entry, that only applies to European football. Anyone can apply to the SFL as long as they meet the criteria and pay the entry/membership fees.

I pointed this out when that CSC thing was posted a few days ago.

For what it's worth, we should start on division 3, but I am inclined to think either there's going to be a drastic turnaround tomorrow in the vote which will grant us SPL membership, but Regan will block it and we'll be relegated to division 1. If that doesn't happen then I think we'll be voted into division 1 by the soon of our teeth next Thursday.

The SFA/SPL are just the biggest crowd of wasters ever.

Its infuriating that fans opinions are being ignored and clubs are being pressured into ignoring what their fans think. They make John Delaney look good!
    Chris McLaughlin ‏@BBCchrismclaug

So #SFL meeting adjourned till next week. Don't be surprised if there's a similar outcome at tomorrow's #SPL meeting.

It would be scandalous if the vote was adjourned till next week

• Advertisement

I can't see the season starting on time

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18699838
    Worried Scottish Premier League chairmen are believed to be holding a late night conference call as they try to resolve the crisis over Rangers.

Sounds like they are going to bottle it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,411 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Neil Doncaster should be liquidated.

John Fleckham joining Coventry

Wee Naisy off to Everton

Have the New Club started pre season training yet?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Looks to me like Div 1 with sanctions will be forced through, by bullying tactics.

Ignoring the vast majority of fans, including Rangers fans.

Scottish football is run by Sky, not by the SFA/SPL/SFL.

• Advertisement

Neil Doncaster should be liquidated.

John Fleckham joining Coventry

Wee Naisy off to Everton

Have the New Club started pre season training yet?

Yeah last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

Why do I think that the speed and decisiveness with which the SFA act after this will be in complete contrast to their actions on "Rangers / Sevco / I can't believe it's not Rangers":

Turnbull Hutton has a go

You've got to love that man :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

It's plainly obvious that the vote today on SPL share transfer is being defered for 1 reason. To see if the SFL will vote Newco into Div.1 ... If they don't, then it's a dead cert the SPL clubs will vote them into the top tier with sanctions.
    Sporting Integrity (everyone's favourite phrase 2 weeks ago) doesn't mean jack shît to these people.

Fùckin spineless gutless bàstards every one of them.

Vote to be deferred until next week I think.

Absolute farce.

TheBuilder wrote: »
    Vote to be deferred until next week I think.

Absolute farce.

Its a farce but I dont see much pressure on Green to make an application to Div3. Seems he wants SPL/Div1 or sit a year out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Dempsey wrote: »
    Its a farce but I dont see much pressure on Green to make an application to Div3. Seems he wants SPL/Div1 or sit a year out.

Right now we can't make an application to division 3, there is no room at the inn - simple as that really.

Our fate is entirely at the hands of the SPL/SFA.

The SPL voted no, confirming what we all knew before last week.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Right now we can't make an application to division 3, there is no room at the inn - simple as that really.

Our fate is entirely at the hands of the SPL/SFA.

If Sevco went to the SFA, SPL SFL, SPL and SFL clubs and said, we'll take Rangers membership and like to start at the bottom of Div3 you wouldnt have wasted all this time on a SPL vote, you would have gotten a SFL vote called quicker and SFL clubs would gladly take you at the bottom of the league. The biggest problem for the ***** in charge becomes who gets the SPL place, Dundee or Dunfermline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Clyde have issued a statement on yesterdays meeting, like many other SFL clubs they are very unhappy. Two things that stood out for me, the implied threats from above and also that there are no distinct rules on what division a team should be placed in

http://www.clydefc.co.uk/news/2012/07/04/4137/

Ten against, one for, one abstained

That's how it went.

• Advertisement

I reckon Celtic abstained, Lawwell better have a very good explanation for doing so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

So, are Rangers denied entry into Div 1 now, or denied into Div 3, or just denied entry into the Scottish league's altogether. Sorry, trying to follow this but today's vote was a little confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Augmerson wrote: »
    So, are Rangers denied entry into Div 1 now, or denied into Div 3, or just denied entry into the Scottish league's altogether. Sorry, trying to follow this but today's vote was a little confusing.

Just the SPL at the moment. The SFL don't won't vote till the 12th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I reckon Celtic abstained, Lawwell better have a very good explanation for doing so.

I would agree that Celtic abstained... Will we actually find out for sure though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Celtic did not abstain according to Chris McLaughlin on twitter

Kilmarnock abstained

Kilmarnock abstained, they must be hurting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

And what do Sky make of all this ? They cannot be happy.

Leave all the stupid emotion aside, as that does not pay the bills.A SPL without Rangers ? Celtic the champions of a nothing league ? Less Rangers fans going through the turnstiles = less revenue for the clubs that voted no.

They will learn the hard way.

CHARLES GREEN has confirmed that Rangers will apply to join the Scottish Football League after today's rejection by the SPL.

The Rangers Chief Executive says he is deeply disappointed at the 'no' vote today at Hampden and false hope that there was a chance of success.

He said: "We are deeply disappointed that our application to rejoin the SPL has been rejected overwhelmingly by the member clubs.

"This time last week, all of us at Rangers were resigned to the fact that we would not be admitted, due mainly to the public declarations of clubs indicating they would not support our application.

"At the weekend, we were approached by representatives from the SPL suggesting our application still stood a chance of success and we should discuss this further with clubs. This we did in good faith but with the knowledge of the hurdles that lay ahead of us.

"We had asked the SPL whether it would be more appropriate for us to withdraw our application but were advised against this.

"We made a presentation to the SPL clubs this morning, detailing our proposals in support of our application and this included what we believed to be penalties and sanctions that would have dealt fairly with the difficulties caused by events at Rangers prior to our acquisition of the Club on June 14.

"Sadly this was rejected by the other clubs and we regret that our Club and our supporters were given false hope by this initiative.

"We will now proceed as we had planned from late June to apply for membership of the SFL.

"It is entirely a matter for them whether our application will be accepted or rejected and we will make no representation to any member club prior to that application being considered. We also recognise that the SPL has been placed in a difficult position because of the way events have unfolded.

"If our application were to be accepted, Rangers will play in whichever division the SFL sees fit and we will move forward from there.

"The Club hopes that the supporters, who have been absolutely tremendous since the Club went into administration on February 14, will continue to support the Club and make Rangers a success once again."

Green Statement

• Advertisement

ebbsy wrote: »

Leave all the stupid emotion aside, as that does not pay the bills.A SPL without Rangers ? Celtic the champions of a nothing league ? Less Rangers fans going through the turnstiles = less revenue for the clubs that voted no.

Sky are willing to wait a year.

Fifty five percent of non old firm fans said they would rather their team went to the wall than have us back in the SPL.

It's time they learned they can't rely on Rangers and Celtic to run their clubs.

Celtic are now 1-50 to win the SPL :pac:

4 teams to go into severe money trouble next season imo

You think nobody has done the maths on this?

It would be worse having your own fans boycotting you because of Sevco in the SPL than losing the Sky deal + 2 Sevco away days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Not all bad news for Rangers staff, Ally is Charles Green's new driver.

7528349_400_400_0_0_fit_0_b35b0fe9349d5d99abfcfbdb7865850d.jpg

What stupid emotion?

Clubs might lose out on the away section being empty for two gates a year but that should never have been that crucial. If they had voted yes then they risked their own fans going against them.

2nd place is there for the taking now, maybe it might spur a few teams on.

TheBuilder wrote: »
    4 teams to go into severe money trouble next season imo

Kilmarnock signed their own death warrant today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭bren2001

ColeTrain wrote: »

7528349_400_400_0_0_fit_0_b35b0fe9349d5d99abfcfbdb7865850d.jpg

What stupid emotion?

Clubs might lose out on the away section being empty for two gates a year but that should never have been that crucial. If they had voted yes then they risked their own fans going against them.

2nd place is there for the taking now, maybe it might spur a few teams on.

Thats not the money the clubs care about, its the TV rights deal that counts. Its not worth anything near it was now that the Old Firm wont be on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

I'll bet it wasn't an Audi.....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

could save them a few quid if existing staff take on a number of different roles

bren2001 wrote: »
    Thats not the money the clubs care about, its the TV rights deal that counts. Its not worth anything near it was now that the Old Firm wont be on.

The Sky deal vastly undervalued the league anyways, Scottish football will be better off not being under its thumb.

Again, fans boycotting their own clubs and boycotting clubs voting in favour of Sevco was a bigger problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Kilmarnock signed their own death warrant today

Do you mean that there will be a boycott of them?

If so isn't blackmailing a Club like that every bit as bad as the applying the sort of pressure that it looks like lower league clubs have had applied on them to accept the SFL proposal.

If you didn't mean that then carry on :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

You think nobody has done the maths on this?

It would be worse having your own fans boycotting you because of Sevco in the SPL than losing the Sky deal + 2 Sevco away days.

But nobody can tell how influential or not these boycotts would have been. I honestly think celtic will struggle to attract decent players for the nesxt couple of seasons

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Do you mean that there will be a boycott of them?

If so isn't blackmailing a Club like that every bit as bad as the applying the sort of pressure that it looks like lower league clubs have had applied on them to accept the SFL proposal.

If you didn't mean that then carry on :o

No, not blackmailing. Away fans choosing not support Kilmarnock because of their abstaining is their own choice. Kilmarnock's financial model is largely based on income they dont control, thats why they signed their own death warrant.
    But nobody can tell how influential or not these boycotts would have been. I honestly think celtic will struggle to attract decent players for the nesxt couple of seasons

Ibrox represented ~28% of attendances in the SPL. You could have seen alot more than that staying away from all grounds if they stayed. The idea of Sevco getting into the SPL disgusted a huge amount of Scottish Football fans, but especially season ticket holders at clubs.

Celtic will struggle if they dont progress into into the group stages of European competitions. It would have been worse in the long term for Celtic to be stuck in the football equivalent of WWE wrestling.

• Advertisement

No, not blackmailing. Away fans choosing not support Kilmarnock because of their abstaining is their own choice. Kilmarnock's financial model is largely based on income they dont control, thats why they signed their own death warrant.

Ibrox represented ~28% of attendances in the SPL. You could have seen alot more than that staying away from all grounds if they stayed. The idea of Sevco getting into the SPL disgusted a huge amount of Scottish Football fans, but especially season ticket holders at clubs.

Maybe, but who knows if the boycott would have lasted, may ahve petered out after a while, who knows.
    Celtic will struggle if they dont progress into into the group stages of European competitions. It would have been worse in the long term for Celtic to be stuck in the football equivalent of WWE wrestling.

I dont see how it would have been wprse tbh? Im glad they are not going to be in the spl, it had to be done, but i dont get your point.

I dont see how it would have been wprse tbh? Im glad they are not going to be in the spl, it had to be done, but i dont get your point.

Celtic get enough flak being in the SPL, what do you think would happen if the public consensus was that Celtic could never be properly punished or relegated? What attraction would Celtic hold for fans or players that believe the SPL is no longer an actual sport

Celtic get enough flak being in the SPL, what do you think would happen if the public consensus was that Celtic could never be properly punished or relegated? What attraction would Celtic hold for fans or players that believe the SPL is no longer an actual sport

What??:confused:

In a few years if we havent had any european success and we're walking away with a one horse league, no big derbies etc what attraction would we be to players? The real fans will always be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

By looks of things Hibs season Ticket sales are going be higher next season and that's coming off worst defeat in clubs history.

I dont think it will be all doom and gloom for Scottish Football now that the Old Rangers are gone.

What??:confused:

In a few years if we havent had any european success and we're walking away with a one horse league, no big derbies etc what attraction would we be to players? The real fans will always be there

Alot of Scottish Football fans are already sick of the current SPL format, Sevco getting back would allow it continue with both Glasgow clubs maintaining a stranglehold on finances because the current voting structure cant be changed without one of them allowing the SPL10 control. If Sevco was allowed into the SPL today, the public consensus would be that its not an actual sport up in Scotland, its just a mechanism for 2 Glasgow clubs to play each other several times a season. Neither can be properly punished, even when they go to the wall. It would be glorified sports entertainment and fans would switch off in droves, who would want to pay to see that?

Real fans want to watch a sport. Are you telling me that you would have gone to many SPL matches if Sevco were admitted? I wouldnt, am I not a real fan because of that stance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Funny Quote I saw today in Hibs net

"I used to enjoy my Killie pies but only place I will buy them now is Aldi"

alex thomson ‏@alextomo

N Doncaster: sees no danger of any clubs going bust as result of this decision

If Doncaster says it, it must be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Any truth in it that Celtic season tickets have gone up in price ?

How can they justify this now ?

www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=2760

Statement from Celtic Football Club
    CELTIC Football Club today confirmed that it opposed re-admission to the Scottish Premier League by Rangers newco.

Today´s decision to refuse access into the SPL was an overwhelming one and demonstrates the depth of feeling amongst everyone involved in Scottish football.

Fundamentally, the Celtic Board has also been very mindful of the need to take what it believes to be the correct course of action in protecting the integrity of the game in Scotland

The matter is now within the jurisdiction of the Scottish Football Association and it will be for the SFA to decide on the future of Rangers newco.

Throughout the whole sequence of events leading up to today’s decision the Celtic Board has been of the singular view that the integrity of the game in Scotland is of paramount importance. Our only other consideration has been to protect the interests and right of the Club and our supporters.

Whilst the financial implications of today’s vote for Celtic and for the Scottish game as a whole will be very significant, we have already stated that Celtic has a business plan and strategy independent of any other club.

Our supporters can rest assured that we will continue to fight to protect Celtic’s best interests within the Scottish game.

In addition, we will be working with our other fellow SPL clubs in the days and weeks ahead to take all possible steps to maximise commercial returns, which remain crucial in these economically-challenging circumstances. We will also play an active role in mapping the future of Scottish football.

The fans are the lifeblood of the game and we know how strongly our supporters, and those of other clubs, felt about this issue.

We are confident that Celtic’s fans, together with the supporters of all the SPL clubs, will now play a major role in rallying behind their clubs to ensure that Scottish football emerges stronger from this episode.

During Celtic’s long and illustrious 125-year history, there have been periods of difficulty. At these times, our supporters have always stood shoulder to shoulder with the Club. We need our supporters to be with us now, more than ever.

We know our own supporters will be acutely aware of the significant challenges that lie ahead. We enter next season as Champions of Scotland and look ahead to retaining our title and to making an impact in a European context. We know how difficult this will be and we call on our supporters to join us in tackling these challenges, to take their place at Celtic Park, to invest in the Club and to continue to give us the kind of support for which they are renowned.

alex thomson ‏@alextomo

Senior Hampden source telling me clearly Charles Green's presentation on Rangers Newco entering SPL bombed. It only increased opposition.
    alex thomson ‏@alextomo

Am told SPL chairman were expecting nothing less than utter humility and abject contrtion

LOL, I would have paid more to see that than TDKR!

• Advertisement
Advertisement