Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers FC lodge papers to go into administration

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,411 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The headline is on the money though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Is it ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

The headline is on the money though

Get to **** with that nonsense.

Anybody read it? As usual, writing about a problem in Scotland he clearly knows nothing about. Hate filled club? What's his article then? Moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

TheBuilder wrote: »

Anybody read it? As usual, writing about a problem in Scotland he clearly knows nothing about. Hate filled club? What's his article then? Moron.

No surprise to see Rangers fan disagreeing with it.

I read it. He talks about the BillyBoys and how thousands sung it, you can't say that's nonsense and it is his opinion after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

ColeTrain wrote: »

I read it. He talks about the BillyBoys and how thousands sung it, you can't say that's nonsense and it is his opinion after all.

He also says that the guy who committed the murder was a "Billy Boy" which is crap as they have not existed since the 50s. So he doesn't have his facts right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

It's full of lies too, but I get that Celtic fans won't be too itk about some of the stuff he writes.
    'a club marinated in blood'
    'As late as 1999 the vice-chairman of Rangers was forced to resign for singing anti-Catholic songs.' ?

Findlay resigned for singing The Sash, which is not anti-Catholic at all.
    Jason Campbell, a 'Brigton Billy Boy', was jailed for life for cutting the throat of 16-year-old Celtic supporter Mark Scott. That was in 1996; the original murderous Billy Boys of the 1920s were the inspiration for the sadistic Shankill Butchers who ritually dismembered Northern Catholics.
    Thousands of Rangers fans still sing that song. They know, for sure, that a Brigton Billy Boy slaughtered an innocent kid whose only crime was to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. This alone is cause enough to bury the club in quicklime.

Yeah, that song was sung to celebrate a murder, sure thing.
    Just like the Bouncy is about jumping on Catholic's heads no doubt :rolleyes:

Not to mention that he can't even get his dates right.
    'It was back in 2000 and it was the day Celtic finally regained the Scottish Premiership. Ticketless, we watched the game in the Huddle Club in Royston.'

I can't help but think this was written by a Celtic fan.

And the fact Regan favourites it doesn't help our view about his impartiality.

Aquila wrote: »
    So whats the new clubs crest and home jersey like?

The same.

We are still Rangers. Same stadium, fans, team, crest, strip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Oh well then, it's his opinion.

In that case we can all say what we like yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Aquila wrote: »
    So whats the new clubs crest and home jersey like?

The same.

We are still Rangers. Same stadium, fans, team, crest, strip.
    Yawn if you tell a lie often enough....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Regardless of the fact he's trying to bully clubs into accepting Rangers into SFL1, this has to be the end for Regan.

He already once favourited a tweet that mentioned Lee McCullouch should be hanged, but this is on a whole different level:

Regan.jpg

The article is from the Irish Independent and is basically a long, hate-filled rant against everything Rangers-related.

The fact that the Indo published this is quite something.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    It's full of lies too, but I get that Celtic fans won't be too itk about some of the stuff he writes.

Findlay resigned for singing The Sash, which is not anti-Catholic at all.

Yeah, that song was sung to celebrate a murder, sure thing.
    Just like the Bouncy is about jumping on Catholic's heads no doubt :rolleyes:

Not to mention that he can't even get his dates right.

I can't help but think this was written by a Celtic fan.

And the fact Regan favourites it doesn't help our view about his impartiality.

It was written by a Celtic fan and it's subjective.

You're never gonna agree with it or like it.
    Eirebear wrote: »

Fire away but you're not gonna get paid for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

You've a problem with a newspaper columnist giving his opinion?

Anyone got a direct link to that article please?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/farewell-to-a-club-steeped-in-bigotry-3161118.html

bobmalooka wrote: »

...you end up with articles such as that in the Indo?

Fire away but you're not gonna get paid for it!

having worked as a journalist, and still working within a journalistic context - i can assure you, you're right.
    Most of us are asked to check our facts.

No.
    I have a problem with an opinion piece of such inflammatory, and ill thought out nature being given what appear to be the back page of a national newspaper.

Well we are still the same fans, same stadium, same crest, same strip.

Even the same focus of obsession for a certain section of the Celtic support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/farewell-to-a-club-steeped-in-bigotry-3161118.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Hold on a sec, if a company goes bust and a new company is established, don't they have to change the crest? Unless the rights are transferred to the new company?

Lars1916 wrote: »

Hold on a sec, if a company goes bust and a new company is established, don't they have to change the crest? Unless the rights are transferred to the new company?

They were mate, we have the same crest.

Our away and third kits are out over the next 6 weeks, both have the same crest.

Same as Doncaster said our history is still intact, but that's forbidden to say on here.

having worked as a journalist, and still working within a journalistic context - i can assure you, you're right.

BBE and The Builder outlined outlined a few areas where the facts might not have been correct? But the core of the article is correct. His opinion would have been the same even if some of the dates weren't right or Findlay sang the Sash instead of the BillyBoys.

No.
    I have a problem with an opinion piece of such inflammatory, and ill thought out nature being given what appear to be the back page of a national newspaper.

Hardly inflammatory seeing as there were about 20 Rangers fans in Ireland :)

• Advertisement

BBE and The Builder outlined outlined a few areas where the facts might not have been correct? But the core of the article is correct. His opinion would have been the same even if some of the dates weren't right or Findlay sang the Sash instead of the BillyBoys.

Hardly inflammatory seeing as there were about 20 Rangers fans in Ireland :)

Correct?

Not in the slightest - it stinks of the "journalist" being the very same as the people who come on here spouting ignorant bull****.
    He's probably never even met a rangers fan, and his trips to Glasgow are spent in the Gallowgate dives and the Garngad listening to stories of oppression.
    Ignorance on the back page of a national newspaper.

And i know you're at the wind up with the second part - but it's inflammatory, as this thread and multiple others online have proven.

Correct?

Not in the slightest - it stinks of the "journalist" being the very same as the people who come on here spouting ignorant bull****.
    He's probably never even met a rangers fan, and his trips to Glasgow are spent in the Gallowgate dives and the Garngad listening to stories of oppression.
    Ignorance on the back page of a national newspaper.

And i know you're at the wind up with the second part - but it's inflammatory, as this thread and multiple others online have proven.

Rangers didn't have an anti Catholic signing policy and the fans didn't sing "go on home" or the BillyBoys?
    There's no point in pretending it's all wrong

I am a little surprised to have seen it printed but I have yet to meet a person in Ireland that has told me about their love for Rangers. This journalist has come out and said it. Maybe he got some dates wrong and there's a few inaccuracies but it's a viewpoint that would be held by a lot of people and it's a viewpoint that wouldn't exist if Rangers had conducted themselves better across the board.

off topic

I think I could be one of the few, if only person in Ireland who knows more Rangers fans(all Irish) then Celtic.

off topic

I think I could be one of the few, if only person in Ireland who knows more Rangers fans(all Irish) then Celtic.

Where do you be hanging around?!

Where do you be hanging around?!

Good question.:pac:

Honestly from Cork I know 3 lads, and in Dublin I know 4.

One my best mates is Celtic fan and other then 2 other guys I know, nobody else I know is Celic fan. Well bar the few who casually supported them in Europe and OF games.

Rangers didn't have an anti Catholic signing policy and the fans didn't sing "go on home" or the BillyBoys?
    There's no point in pretending it's all wrong

I am a little surprised to have seen it printed but I have yet to meet a person in Ireland that has told me about their love for Rangers. This journalist has come out and said it. Maybe he got some dates wrong and there's a few inaccuracies but it's a viewpoint that would be held by a lot of people and it's a viewpoint that wouldn't exist if Rangers had conducted themselves better across the board.

It's a viewpoint borne of ignorance.
    Plain and simple.

Just because it was printed in Ireland doesn't make it ok - it's ignorant.

It's a viewpoint borne of ignorance.
    Plain and simple.

Just because it was printed in Ireland doesn't make it ok - it's ignorant.

So anyone that would hold that viewpoint is ignorant? Rangers must be just completely misunderstood then..

So anyone that would hold that viewpoint is ignorant? Rangers must be just completely misunderstood then..
    You're an intelligent guy - read the article and tell me he isnt playing to the lowest common denominator here.

He cites a murder from 14 years ago, in a city which has one of the hisghtest per capita murder rates in the Europe.
    I've spoke about my feelings on that horrible crime on this forum in the past - I find it sickening just how often it has become some sort of fall back from elements of the Celtic support in order to simply get one up on the Rangers support.

It's utterly appaling that a national newspaper would give this kind of action back page space imo.

He speaks of how he drank in the huddle club, and was welcomed by the good "irish" folk of the Garngad on Old Firm day.
    Well now - does he expect to hear nice stories about Rangers in The Huddle Club on Old Firm day?
    He'll have heard a lot of Republican, anti-british songs though - these are perfectly acceptable in Britain you see.

Once again we have a case of an Irishman, donning his Celtic top and heading to Glasgow - whilst there he hangs around in Celtic supporters bars, with celtic supporters, talking about Celtic.
    Can you see where this is going?

If "Billy Keane" would like to come and meet some Rangers supporters, i'll gladly take him out in Glasgow. I think it would be a valuable experience.
    Because it won't be untill he meets at least one bear, that he will be able to write a balanced article instead of his hate filled drivel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Some home truths there in that Indo article about the club formerly known as Glasgow Rangers. The death of that club gives an opportunity for the emergence of a new club free from the unsavoury baggage of the past. People like yourself who want to support the new club, should relish the opportunity to throw your support behind the new club with no baggage attached I reckon.

• Advertisement

They were mate, we have the same crest.

Our away and third kits are out over the next 6 weeks, both have the same crest.

Same as Doncaster said our history is still intact, but that's forbidden to say on here.

is it confirmed that the money from sales of these kits will go to old rangers in administration or sevco? or even if sevco will ever play in them? or if sevco are entitled to call themselves Rangers/the rangers?

Doncaster will say/do whatever is necessary to keep milking Rangers fans.

a dude called Charles Green owns (or claims to own) Ibrox, Murray park and the carpark. He do's not own a football club. Rangers Football club still exists (for the time being) have ye walked away in favour of Sevco which at the moment is a property holding company?

You're an intelligent guy - read the article and tell me he isnt playing to the lowest common denominator here.

He cites a murder from 14 years ago, in a city which has one of the hisghtest per capita murder rates in the Europe.
    I've spoke about my feelings on that horrible crime on this forum in the past - I find it sickening just how often it has become some sort of fall back from elements of the Celtic support in order to simply get one up on the Rangers support.

It's utterly appaling that a national newspaper would give this kind of action back page space imo.

He speaks of how he drank in the huddle club, and was welcomed by the good "irish" folk of the Garngad on Old Firm day.
    Well now - does he expect to hear nice stories about Rangers in The Huddle Club on Old Firm day?
    He'll have heard a lot of Republican, anti-british songs though - these are perfectly acceptable in Britain you see.

Once again we have a case of an Irishman, donning his Celtic top and heading to Glasgow - whilst there he hangs around in Celtic supporters bars, with celtic supporters, talking about Celtic.
    Can you see where this is going?

If "Billy Keane" would like to come and meet some Rangers supporters, i'll gladly take him out in Glasgow. I think it would be a valuable experience.
    Because it won't be untill he meets at least one bear, that he will be able to write a balanced article instead of his hate filled drivel.

Of course he's hammering home his viewpoint. I wouldn't have any dealings with Rangers fans but I wouldn't be naive enough to label everyone one of them as bigots. Likewise not every Celtic fan is a saint.

But just because Billy Keane has dramatised a few points doesn't make his article completely untrue. I said it in my first post about the article, that you're never going to agree with it because it is his opinion. Should he be allowed to come out and say it? That's a different debate completely.

For what it's worth, Ian O'Doherty and one of the Fannings write for the Independent and have written plenty of negative articles in the past about Celtic.

Some home truths there in that Indo article about the club formerly known as Glasgow Rangers. The death of that club gives an opportunity for the emergence of a new club free from the unsavoury baggage of the past. People like yourself who want to support the new club, should relish the opportunity to throw your support behind the new club with no baggage attached I reckon.

You really think people like "Billy Keane" will let us forget where this "new club" came from?
    I highly doubt it.

If Sevco are Rangers then who are Rangers (being run by D&P)?

Of course he's hammering home his viewpoint. I wouldn't have any dealings with Rangers fans but I wouldn't be naive enough to label everyone one of them as bigots. Likewise not every Celtic fan is a saint.

But just because Billy Keane has dramatised a few points doesn't make his article completely untrue. I said it in my first post about the article, that you're never going to agree with it because it is his opinion. Should he be allowed to come out and say it? That's a different debate completely.

For what it's worth, Ian O'Doherty and one of the Fannings write for the Independent and have written plenty of negative articles in the past about Celtic.

No - that's entirely the debate.
    Should that kind of opinionated, inflamatory and ignorant type of article be given the backpage (It looks that way anyway from the photo) of a national newspaper.

If that was written as part of a blog, it would be shrugged off as a rant - by putting it on the backpage of a newspaper it gives it some sort of creedance - it doesn't change the fact it is ignorant.

You really think people like "Billy Keane" will let us forget where this "new club" came from?
    I highly doubt it.

what do you mean by this?

The article does have a point about the blind hatred "the billy boys" represents which the world would be better without but I would agree that the tone of the article was the sort of typical sensationalism article we're used to reading about the old firm.

• Advertisement

I highly doubt it.

It's up to the new club owners and supporters to take the opportunity to create a new club, and ensure that ye dump all the unsavoury elements of the baggage associated with the now defunct Rangers from the past. This situation represents a real opportunity to do just that, I hope and suggest that potential supporters of the new Sevco club do that.

No - that's entirely the debate.
    Should that kind of opinionated, inflamatory and ignorant type of article be given the backpage (It looks that way anyway from the photo) of a national newspaper.

If that was written as part of a blog, it would be shrugged off as a rant - by putting it on the backpage of a newspaper it gives it some sort of creedance - it doesn't change the fact it is ignorant.

Look up Kevin Myers who writes for the Indo. He ticks all of the above boxes. Columnists are hardly a new thing, if you ban them you ban freedom of speech. That should exist whether having a pint down the local or writing for a national paper.

Look up Kevin Myers who writes for the Indo. He ticks all of the above boxes. Columnists are hardly a new thing, if you ban them you ban freedom of speech. That should exist whether having a pint down the local or writing for a national paper.

The back pages in newspapers aren't normally the place where you will find an opinion piece. That is where we should be reading news.
    Many of this man's articles are filed under "opinion" on the Independant website.
    This one? Filed under "Sport".

You beginning to understand why i'm riled?

Again, i agree it's opinion and he is entitled to it - it doesnt change the fact that it is ignorant - and i reserve every right to disagree with it.
    Just because he holds this opinion doesn't make it untouchable.

what do you mean by this?

Sorry, that was my own ignorance - i'd read elsewhere that it wasn't his true name - a quick search of the website shows me many articles that appear under that name.
    It's up to the new club owners and supporters to take the opportunity to create a new club, and ensure that ye dump all the unsavoury elements of the baggage associated with the now defunct Rangers from the past. This situation represents a real opportunity to do just that, I hope and suggest that potential supporters of the new Sevco club do that.

And how do you suggest we do this?
    By bowing down to any and every piece of abuse the likes of the Independant decide to print?

Do you really, really think that Glasgow's issues with religious and cultural divides will simply disappear with the "OldCo?
    I wouldn't be quite so naive.

The back pages in newspapers aren't normally the place where you will find an opinion piece. That is where we should be reading news.
    Many of this man's articles are filed under "opinion" on the Independant website.
    This one? Filed under "Sport".

You beginning to understand why i'm riled?

Again, i agree it's opinion and he is entitled to it - it doesnt change the fact that it is ignorant - and i reserve every right to disagree with it.
    Just because he holds this opinion doesn't make it untouchable.

Its on the same part of the back page of the sport section that hosts an opinion piece every week.

edit: which part do you disagree with, or do you disagree with people having strong opinions on Rangers sectarian issues?

• Advertisement

Its on the same part of the back page of the sport section that hosts an opinion piece every week.

Fair enough, that makes a little more sense.
    Doesn't change my opinion on the piece itself though. Or the fact it's not listed as "opinion".

Edit - I disagree with is opinion in general - as i've stated before it stinks of someone who has never in his life met a Rangers supporter - much less understood their viewpoint.
    He has formed an opinion based on his experience with Celtic fans, to write an article about Rangers.
    That's why i feel the piece as a whole is flawed, and ignorant.

Doesn't change my opinion on the piece itself though. Or the fact it's not listed as "opinion".

I'm sure most will know by the tone of the article that he is giving his personal opinion.

I find it hard to get worked up about any article in a paper now. I've read so much sh*te online it would be strange not to disagree with something.

I'm sure most will know by the tone of the article that he is giving his personal opinion.

I find it hard to get worked up about any article in a paper now. I've read so much sh*te online it would be strange not to disagree with something.

Most will - but we're back to the "Lowest common denominator" again - and that's where it gets dangerous and inflammatory.

I agree with you to an extent - but i have a huge interest both proffesionally and personally in how the media in general works, i get worked up about poor journalism and opinion being passed off as journalism as a whole.

the vast majority of people who read that paper would be aware that is the regular opinion slot.

Should these type of articles be marked as opinions? its not something i have noticed in any paper tbh.

Anyways the Irish Independant is perfectly capable of putting the boot into Celtic too, a few of their contributors regularly take demeaning, off topic and out of context swipes at Celtic out of the blue.

the vast majority of people who read that paper would be aware that is the regular opinion slot.

Should these type of articles be marked as opinions? its not something i have noticed in any paper tbh.

Anyways the Irish Independant is perfectly capable of putting the boot into Celtic too, a few of their contributors regularly take demeaning, off topic and out of context swipes at Celtic out of the blue.

Do a search for him on the website - many of his articles are listed as opinion.
    This one isnt.
    Most newspapers mark columnists articles as "Opinion" or "Editorial" it's part of a code of practice, similar to advertising pieces being marked as such.

I agree, they are able to put the boot into Celtic, doesnt make it ok - i've seen you guys complain about it often enough.

Most will - but we're back to the "Lowest common denominator" again - and that's where it gets dangerous and inflammatory.

I agree with you to an extent - but i have a huge interest both proffesionally and personally in how the media in general works, i get worked up about poor journalism and opinion being passed off as journalism as a whole.

Their influence is definitely waning thanks to forums and blogs. At least online a poor opinion can be challenged.

Their influence is definitely waning thanks to forums and blogs. At least online a poor opinion can be challenged.

Maybe so - but there is still a large proportion of the population who don't use forums or read blogs.
    Couple that with the fact he is payed for his opinion and it sways a lot of people.

And the fact that you can't challenge his opinion directly is a huge thing.

Maybe so - but there is still a large proportion of the population who don't use forums or read blogs.
    Couple that with the fact he is payed for his opinion and it sways a lot of people.

And the fact that you can't challenge his opinion directly is a huge thing.

There is nothing wrong with what was said in that article, you can disagree all you like with what was said, but that doesn't make what was said in the article wrong at all in my view.

There is nothing wrong with what was said in that article, you can disagree all you like with what was said, but that doesn't make what was said in the article wrong at all in my view.
    true but I would agree with EB that its purpose was to put the boot in rather than offer any insight as to whats going on at Rangers at the moment.

Hopefully the bigotry will die with the club, maybe genuine Rangers fans will follow Sevco ant the ones who were only interested in airing their hatred will get bored of Sevco if we wont be playing Celtic. If thats the point the article was trying to make it was done poorly.

That article paints me, my family and a huge proportion of rangers fans as bigots who support the murder of Catholics through our football team when it is completely not true.

I've never denied there is an element, there always will be on both sides, but no matter what has been done to clean up our image, it is never recognised, these opinionated 'Celtic fans' choose to go into the past all the time to have their digs.

The amount of people in Ireland who give their views on Rangers (and Celtic) having never stepped foot near a game, bothered to get to know fans of the team and just jump on the assumption that we're all bigots is a ****ing disgrace.

I wonder if I wrote an opinion piece on how since growing up in Donegal since the age of four has saw me attacked as a 'dirty orange bastard' (I'm a catholic, and have never seen these idiots at the mass I attend every Sunday), had the good old 'go home ya hun' sang at me, referred to as 'the unionist' during Irish history lessons in school, warned to not wear my rangers top around my home town and other attacks based on who I support, for the Independent would they make it back page news on what 'all Celtic fans' are like.

They wouldn't, because the difference is I can separate the true fans, those who I have played football with and watches games with in pubs from the morons who attach themselves as 'fans'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement