Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers FC lodge papers to go into administration

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

There is nothing wrong with what was said in that article, you can disagree all you like with what was said, but that doesn't make what was said in the article wrong at all in my view.

Not surprising that you're agreeing with it, but there's basic facts in there which are wrong.

Or are you that unaware of your own club's history that you don't know they never won a title in 2000 ?

And if he can't even get that right...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

TheBuilder wrote: »
    That article paints me, my family and a huge proportion of rangers fans as bigots who support the murder of Catholics through our football team when it is completely not true.

I've never denied there is an element, there always will be on both sides, but no matter what has been done to clean up our image, it is never recognised, these opinionated 'Celtic fans' choose to go into the past all the time to have their digs.

The amount of people in Ireland who give their views on Rangers (and Celtic) having never stepped foot near a game, bothered to get to know fans of the team and just jump on the assumption that we're all bigots is a ****ing disgrace.

I wonder if I wrote an opinion piece on how since growing up in Donegal since the age of four has saw me attacked as a 'dirty orange bastard' (I'm a catholic, and have never seen these idiots at the mass I attend every Sunday), had the good old 'go home ya hun' sang at me, referred to as 'the unionist' during Irish history lessons in school, warned to not wear my rangers top around my home town and other attacks based on who I support, for the Independent would they make it back page news on what 'all Celtic fans' are like.

They wouldn't, because the difference is I can separate the true fans, those who I have played football with and watches games with in pubs from the morons who attach themselves as 'fans'.

I agree with most of what you say TB, and I have to say I respect you for being a genuine fan in what must be difficult circumstances at times given where you live and your background etc..

I read the linked article and it's pretty poor tbh. The sensationalism and inaccuracies kill off any substance that it may have, and I do agree bringing up the Mark Scott thing is a bit of a cheap shot.

I do think a fresh start will be a good thing though for genuine Rangers fans, because while both sets of supporters have their fcuking eejits, I don't think Rangers as a club have done enough to separate themselves from them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Not surprising that you're agreeing with it, but there's basic facts in there which are wrong.

Or are you that unaware of your own club's history that you don't know they never won a title in 2000 ?

And if he can't even get that right...

It's not surprising that you're disagreeing with it. There might be some minor factual discrepancies, I haven't studied the article to the degree you obviously have. I don't have a problem with the article - he does raise the issue of certain Celtic fans not being saints as well btw - clearly you have a problem with the general thrust of the peice.

Yeah, because saying that Rangers fans celebrate the murder of a Celtic fan is the same as saying that some Celtic fans are naughty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Yeah, because saying that Rangers fans celebrate the murder of a Celtic fan is the same as saying that some Celtic fans are naughty.

There's clearly no point in debating with you, you are picking out small parts of the article and paraphrasing your own spin on other parts of it. You don't like the article, so you will seek to discredit it, there are some facts about the old club when they are raised that you will argue about and won't ever accept.

I just hope that the new Sevco club and their supporters will dispense with the bad elements of the baggage from the old club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

This article was in the Indo, right? If so why are people getting worked up about it. That paper went to the dogs a few years back and isn't a credible source of journalism any more (Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes have been a major story in it nearly every day for the past week for God's sake!).

Regarding the songs, I presume it isn't just Rangers fans who sing songs that most people would find offensive, even if they don't go as far as being up to the neck in someone's blood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

This article was in the Indo, right? If so why are people getting worked up about it. That paper went to the dogs a few years back and isn't a credible source of journalism any more (Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes have been a major story in it nearly every day for the past week for Hubbards's sake!).

Regarding the songs, I presume it isn't just Rangers fans who sing songs that most people would find offensive, even if they don't go as far as being up to the neck in someone's blood?

FYP:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

TheBuilder wrote: »
    They were mate, we have the same crest.

Our away and third kits are out over the next 6 weeks, both have the same crest.

Same as Doncaster said our history is still intact, but that's forbidden to say on here.

Its true because Neil Doncaster said it? Wow!

Sevco bought assets and intellectual property off Rangers (in administration), you are not the same club. You cannot actually call yourselves Rangers or anything like it whilst Rangers (in administration) still exists. The house of companies will reject any name change because Rangers still exists. Sevco isnt part of any league, it doesnt have SFA membership and your owner currently hasnt passed a fit and proper person test. You can convince yourself otherwise if it helps you sleep at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

STV have a list of clubs intentions for the vote on Friday, they are going to update it during the week. I wonder how many if any of the stated positions will change during the week

http://sport.stv.tv/football/108222-rangers-newco-vote-sfl-clubs-outline-their-positions-on-the-issue/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Rangers have refused international clearance for the transfers of Davis, Lafferty, Ness, Whittaker and Naismith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Dempsey wrote: »
    Its true because Neil Doncaster said it? Wow!

Sevco bought assets and intellectual property off Rangers (in administration), you are not the same club. You cannot actually call yourselves Rangers or anything like it whilst Rangers (in administration) still exists. The house of companies will reject any name change because Rangers still exists. Sevco isnt part of any league, it doesnt have SFA membership and your owner currently hasnt passed a fit and proper person test. You can convince yourself otherwise if it helps you sleep at night

It's the same club. Football fans will know it as the same club other than those trying to troll Rangers fans.

I find it desperately sad that any so called football supporter could hold a contrary view. You may support assets and intellectual property. You may support a Limited Company. Most of us support football clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

STV have a list of clubs intentions for the vote on Friday, they are going to update it during the week. I wonder how many if any of the stated positions will change during the week

http://sport.stv.tv/football/108222-rangers-newco-vote-sfl-clubs-outline-their-positions-on-the-issue/

If no one changes their mind then, by my maths they need 12 out of the remaining 13 teams to vote for them to get over the 50%

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It's the same club. Football fans will know it as the same club other than those trying to troll Rangers fans.

I find it desperately sad that any so called football supporter could hold a contrary view. You may support assets and intellectual property. You may support a Limited Company. Most of us support football clubs.

Its not the same club, Rangers still exists, its being lined up for liquidation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Company number SC004276 is being lined up for liquidation. I've never seen a league table featuring 'The Rangers Football Club PLC' before.

I just don't get the joyous glee that this brings out in people. I support a club who have dodged half a dozen winding up orders in the last three years. I've been involved in fan days in support of other clubs suffering similar problems (almost always related to dodgy owners and/or non-payment of tax). It's ill-becoming of a fan base who appear to take pride in their reputation as being such great supporters to act in this way, IMO.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Company number SC004276 is being lined up for liquidation. I've never seen a league table featuring 'The Rangers Football Club PLC' before.

I just don't get the joyous glee that this brings out in people. I support a club who have dodged half a dozen winding up orders in the last three years. I've been involved in fan days in support of other clubs suffering similar problems (almost always related to dodgy owners and/or non-payment of tax). It's ill-becoming of a fan base who appear to take pride in their reputation as being such great supporters to act in this way, IMO.

Lol, and you refer to others as trolls? :D

Triggers Broom FC ;)

• Advertisement

Rangers Football Club is being liquidated, another company is trying to pick up their fans for milking.

Phil MacGiollaBhain ‏@Pmacgiollabhain

Excellent source. Sevco Season Ticket sales. "Slightly over 600 sold so far".
    Phil MacGiollaBhain ‏@Pmacgiollabhain

Same excellent Sevco source: "Lot's of people in here think that there won't be any football played next season."

Poor Sevco, the migration process isnt going too well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Poor Sevco, the migration process isnt going too well.

Another "Scoop" for Mr White i see.

Oh no...wait.....it was discussed over a week ago in numerous newspapers.

Of course there's no ST sales to speak of, no one is going to shell out hundreds of quid on something that may not exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Eirebear wrote: »
    Fair enough, that makes a little more sense.
    Doesn't change my opinion on the piece itself though. Or the fact it's not listed as "opinion".

Edit - I disagree with is opinion in general - as i've stated before it stinks of someone who has never in his life met a Rangers supporter - much less understood their viewpoint.
    He has formed an opinion based on his experience with Celtic fans, to write an article about Rangers.
    That's why i feel the piece as a whole is flawed, and ignorant.

EB how do you know that Billy Keane has never in he's life met a Rangers supporter, thats a rather large assumption there would'nt you agree???

EB how do you know that Billy Keane has never in he's life met a Rangers supporter, thats a rather large assumption there would'nt you agree???

His uses his experience with Celtic fans, to have a go at Rangers.

What does that tell you?

EDIT: We see similar things on this forum all the time.
    People travel from ireland, spend their time drinking in the dives along the Gallowgate and London Rd, hear the horror stories from the locals, come home terrified of the "Big Bad Hun".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

His uses his experience with Celtic fans, to have a go at Rangers.

What does that tell you?

He reffered to an experience he had with Celtic fans, you are the one making the assumption that that experience was the sole basis for he's article.

He reffered to an experience he had with Celtic fans, you are the one making the assumption that that experience was the sole basis for he's article.

It's an assumption based on the fact he uses a massive total of zero first hand experiences in an article which slates the Rangers support.

If you want i can sit and break down the article for you, but i don't particularly want to patronise you by simply doing that.

Jaysus, isn't it always the same? No matter what the subject is, inevitably it ends up being about the blue and green Forces of Effing Darkness talking about each other.

Ah, where would the rest of us wee clubs be without you? We're just soooooooooo lucky. :rolleyes:

Ah, where would the rest of us wee clubs be without you?

Bit of a chip on your shoulder there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Derry had to change there crest when we rejoined the LOI 1st Division but then still keep the date of when the orgainl club is formed in 1928 on it

Jaysus, isn't it always the same? No matter what the subject is, inevitably it ends up being about the blue and green Forces of Effing Darkness talking about each other.

Ah, where would the rest of us wee clubs be without you? We're just soooooooooo lucky. :rolleyes:

Ummm... the subject being an article regarding Rangers fans, in a thread about Rangers.

Yeah, it's rather unlikely we'd be talking about Rangers isnt it?

Its not the same club, Rangers still exists, its being lined up for liquidation

The company, not the club.

On Follow Follow there's a nice thread about other British clubs who also changed companies.

Leeds, Charlton, Middlesbrough, Port Vale,...

All of them had to change the company behind the club at one point in time, yet they're all still the same clubs as before.

On Follow Follow there's a nice thread about other British clubs who also changed companies.

All of them had to change the company behind the club at one point in time, yet they're all still the same clubs as before.

Its called pandering to the people. Juventus are claiming titles that they were stripped of for match fixing, I suppose they are right because they are claiming them! Sevco will tell you whatever you want to hear. Go ahead and buy your season books! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It's a viewpoint borne of ignorance.
    Plain and simple.

Just because it was printed in Ireland doesn't make it ok - it's ignorant.

How is it borne of ignorance? You obv dont have a high opiinion of keane, do you read much of his work or know anything about him?

How is it borne of ignorance? You obv dont have a high opiinion of keane, do you read much of his work or know anything about him?

I don't know much of him - but the article speaks for itself.

How can you judge a whole swathe of the scotish population, write and article about them - yet the only first hand experience you include in that article comes in the form of people from outside that section?

• Advertisement

How can you judge a whole swathe of the scotish population, write and article about them - yet the only first hand experience you include in that article comes in the form of people from outside that section?

What a strange nonsensical thing to say. I have never been in Palestine or Israel. yet i regard myself as well informed on the situation in that region. Maybe i should spend time among both peoples before i can form a view? Nonsense, many Rangers fans regualrly show their nasty side to the world, you dont have to experience it first hand.

What a strange nonsensical thing to say. I have never been in Palestine or Israel. yet i regard myself as well informed on the situation in that region. Maybe i should spend time among both peoples before i can form a view? Nonsense, many Rangers fans regualrly show their nasty side to the world, you dont have to experience it first hand.

So, by spending time among Palestinians, you would be qualified to write a well rounded article on Jews?
    Sorry mate, but that's utter bull****.

Ummm... the subject being an article regarding Rangers fans, in a thread about Rangers.

Yeah, it's rather unlikely we'd be talking about Rangers isnt it?

But you're not talking about Rangers. You're talking about Celtic talking about Rangers. And they're talking about Rangers talking about Celtic talking about Rangers. And so on, round and round it goes, an extension of the co-dependency you've had together for decades.

Maybe i should spend time among both peoples before i can form a view?

It would help, actually. ;)

So, by spending time among Palestinians, you would be qualified to write a well rounded article on Jews?
    Sorry mate, but that's utter bull****.

Thats not what i meant at all and well you know it. I havent encountered many rangers fans but i have formed an opinion of the club and its fans. Is my opinion not valid because ive spend time drinking in the Gallowgate as opposed to The Louden or other such dumps?

But you're not talking about Rangers. You're talking about Celtic talking about Rangers. And they're talking about Rangers talking about Celtic talking about Rangers. And so on, round and round it goes, an extension of the co-dependency you've had together for decades.

What's your point caller?

I think it's funny that the very people who bleat on about Celtic needing Rangers, and Rangers needing Celtic, might be the fans of clubs that need both Celtic and Rangers more than anything themselves! :pac:

Which "wee" club do you support as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Actually you are wrong, Celtic fans are talking about the demise of Rangers FC and the creation of a new club who want to take on the history of the nearly deceased Rangers FC.

What are you actually talking about?

Actually you are wrong....

Of course I'm not wrong, don't be daft. The thread is about the demise (or whatever it turns out to be) of the current iteration of Rangers. But no matter what the subject is, the debate ends up being supporters of the two clubs talking about what matters most to them - each other.

Y'all need to get a room, IMO. :D

PauloMN wrote: »
    I think it's funny that the very people who bleat on about Celtic needing Rangers, and Rangers needing Celtic, might be the fans of clubs that need both Celtic and Rangers more than anything themselves! pacman.gif

Most of us would cheerfully do without Rantic, TBH. Lose a few quid, lose a lot of hassle and annoyance. Sounds like potentially a good deal, if only it could happen.

The current Scottish cup holders, as it happens.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/4420369/In-your-dreams-team.html

Gazza wants to play for Sevco and there is apparently some middle eastern version of David Murray that wants to buy Rangers (in administration) and play in the English leagues.

I do think that there is a very high probability of BDO nullifying the deal D&P did with Green because the assets they sold were well below market value.

Sion seem to be in trouble for playing Kyle Lafferty before getting his ITC. Do they not understand rules in Sion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/4420369/In-your-dreams-team.html

Gazza wants to play for Sevco and there is apparently some middle eastern version of David Murray that wants to buy Rangers (in administration) and play in the English leagues.

I do think that there is a very high probability of BDO nullifying the deal D&P did with Green because the assets they sold were well below market value.

Sion seem to be in trouble for playing Kyle Lafferty before getting his ITC. Do they not understand rules in Sion!
    you know your goosed when gazza shows up :pac:

knew it wouldn't be long till more vultures showed up.

Thats not what i meant at all and well you know it. I havent encountered many rangers fans but i have formed an opinion of the club and its fans. Is my opinion not valid because ive spend time drinking in the Gallowgate as opposed to The Louden or other such dumps?

You can hold whatever opinion you wish, but if you're going to deem it worthy of a national newspaper - then i am of the opinion that it should be as fully based on experience as possible.

Keane couldn't bring one single first hand experience of the Rangers support into his piece - in fact the only mention of violence, in what is a very aggressive article in terms of it's language is that of Celtic "fans" smashing up bus shelters in Royston.

My argument in terms of Palestinians and Jews is very much down this line - of course you are only ever going to form a poor opinion of Jews if you spend all your time with palestinians, and vice versa.
    For me, this doesn't equate to a well rounded opinion - and certainly not one worthy of national news.

It's ignorance in the truest sense of the word, an opinion formed without experience or knowledge at the most base of levels, and the article itself plays into the hands of not only the hardcore of Celtic fans who will lap this up, but also the hardcore of idiots who support Rangers and will see this as another reason to support the idea that Ireland, as a nation, is the enemy.

As i said before, inflammatory and ignorant.

And as someone who doesn't normally do this sort of thing, I have wrote to the Independant saying as much - it will be interesting if i hear back.

Gazza lol, would be great to see that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What's your point caller?

I think it's funny that the very people who bleat on about Celtic needing Rangers, and Rangers needing Celtic, might be the fans of clubs that need both Celtic and Rangers more than anything themselves! :pac:

I think he has a point

The conversation was drifting from a 'what will happen next to newco, old Rangers etc', to the same old 'All Rangers fans eat Catholic children, all Celtic fans are IRA members' tit for tat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

But how many of them were liquidated rather than went into administration?

There is a precedent in Scottish football in the form of Airdire. The history of Airdrie did not pass onto Airdrie Untied, pure and simple. Now I'm sure Airdrie United fans consider the history of Airdrie to be for all intents and purposes their history and most people (myself included) on a day to day basis tend to think of them as the same club but none of this is technically correct.

You will have your memories, but the new club will have to create it's own history which I'm sure it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

delos wrote: »

There is a precedent in Scottish football in the form of Airdire. The history of Airdrie did not pass onto Airdrie Untied, pure and simple. Now I'm sure Airdrie United fans consider the history of Airdrie to be for all intents and purposes their history and most people (myself included) on a day to day basis tend to think of them as the same club but none of this is technically correct.

You will have your memories, but the new club will have to create it's own history which I'm sure it will.

The difference is Airdrie United bought over Clydebank so therefor became a continuation of them rather than the old Airdrie

• Advertisement

Airdrie is a completely different scenario, as has been pointed out, since they bought over another club, Clydebank.

It doesn't matter if those companies changed due to liquidation or not, they changed and that's the issue.

In the cases of Leeds, Plymouth Argyle, Charlton, Middlesbrough, Crystal Palace, Rotherham United,... the assets of the old company were transferred to a new company, yet I'm sure most people would agree that they are still the same clubs as before ?

In the cases of Palace and Plymouth the old companies are still in existence, but will be wound up/liquidated soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

The difference is Airdrie United bought over Clydebank so therefor became a continuation of them rather than the old Airdrie

Good point. I must be getting old to forget how outraged I was at the time :) I'd be surprised if anyone would consider Clydebank's history and honours to belong to Airdre United though and most people would consider there to be a break between the one entity and the other.

I'm not trying to argumentative here (more just lazy), but do you know of any examples of a liquidated club's history being passed on? Gretna's honours didn't pass onto Gretna 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Good point. I must be getting old to forget how outraged I was at the time :) I'd be surprised if anyone would consider Clydebank's history and honours to belong to Airdre United though and most people would consider there to be a break between the one entity and the other.

I'm not trying to argumentative here (more just lazy), but do you know of any examples of a liquidated club's history being passed on? Gretna's honours didn't pass onto Gretna 2008.

No I don't but I haven't really looked into it as far as Airdrie United goes I found this

Airdrie United then went on to complete a buy-out of the ailing Second Division side Clydebank[7] and with SFL approval the club was relocated to Airdrie,[8] the strips were transformed to resemble that of Airdrieonians, and the name was changed to Airdrie United. While this means that the club is therefore officially a continuation of Clydebank it is almost universally accepted as a reincarnation of Airdrieonians, with Clydebank having been reformed by supporters groups and entering into the West Region Junior League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gazza would be better off getting down to Ibrox with a fishing rod, a chicken sandwich and a tin of beer.

According to Rangers fans, the club is the club no matter what the company behind it does or becomes but you make the exception to what Airdrie did to get back into the league!

The only difference between what you and Airdrie is how you became an associate member of the SFL, they bought assets of another company which included their membership, similar to what Charles Green done except he tried to get Rangers SPL membership transferred but was voted down. Now he's looking for a new membership of the SFL because Rangers are dropping out completely and there is a vacant spot. You're now doing what Annan did when Gretna folded.

You'll all be awfully confused people if BDO null & voids the deal Charles Green did with D&P. Seems like ye are happy to follow whoever becomes tenants of Ibrox. Charles Green wants ye to buy season books, buy buy buy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement