Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers FC lodge papers to go into administration

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Trying to understand this fully...

So, we have the current SPL (1).
    The SPL now create a second league, the SPL 2.
    This comprises of all the teams they rob from SFL1 and Rangers.

The SFL is now left with SFL2 and SFL3 which will probably get renamed SFL1 and SFL2?

Or is it 2 big divisions of about 18 teams in each?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

The SFL is now left with SFL2 and SFL3 which will probably get renamed SFL1 and SFL2?

Something along those lines but I think it may be 16 teams each in SPL1/2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Whats a disgrace Rangers are only informing their fans what Tweedledee and Tweedledum are up to.

yeah, and what they're up to is a disgrace

not sure how i couldve made that clearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

What was the point of having a vote if this is true
    brian mclauchlin ‏@BBCBMcLauchlin

Charles Green told meeting during q"n"a he was informed by SFA that membership of association would be granted only if vote was for div1

Helix wrote: »
    yeah, and what they're up to is a disgrace

not sure how i couldve made that clearer

Maybe by actually saying that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Maybe by actually saying that ;)

but that's exactly what i did say

seems you just wanted to see it as a dig against rangers, who ive got absolutely no beef whatsoever with

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

2 big divisions incorporating the existing SPL and SFL leagues as far as I know.

Not against the idea in principal, but trying to rush it through now is not the right approach.

Helix wrote: »
    but that's exactly what i did say

seems you just wanted to see it as a dig against rangers, who ive got absolutely no beef whatsoever with

Sorry if I picked you up wrong but a lot of folk seem to think a lot of this is down to Rangers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Sorry if I picked you up wrong but a lot of folk seem to think a lot of this is down to Rangers

Like who BBE? I don't think I saw anyone here saying that tbh.

I think that statement is ill-advised though to be honest, as it suggests that it's unclear where Sevco will play next season. Whatever about SPL2, I think it's now abundantly clear where Sevco will play in 2012/13 and that's Div 3.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    Like who BBE? I don't think I saw anyone here saying that tbh.

I think that statement is ill-advised though to be honest, as it suggests that it's unclear where Sevco will play next season. Whatever about SPL2, I think it's now abundantly clear where Sevco will play in 2012/13 and that's Div 3.

Thats the problem right there its not that clear where Rangers will play next season I hope along with the vast majority its division 3 but as I said Tweedledee and Tweedledum are going to try something

Thats the problem right there its not that clear where Rangers will play next season I hope along with the vast majority its division 3 but as I said Tweedledee and Tweedledum are going to try something

But the new season kicks off on Aug 11. Sevco will play in Division 3. You cannot possibly believe that a new league structure will be in place before then?

Maybe they are trying to rush something through for 2013/14 season, but it's certain that Div 3 is where you'll be next season.

PauloMN wrote: »
    But the new season kicks off on Aug 11. Sevco will play in Division 3. You cannot possibly believe that a new league structure will be in place before then?

Maybe they are trying to rush something through for 2013/14 season, but it's certain that Div 3 is where you'll be next season.

I won't hold my breath

Charles Green Statement

CHARLES GREEN STATEMENT:

"We are grateful to be accepted as members of the SFL and accept their decision to vote us into Division 3.

"It is a matter of regret for all of us involved with Rangers that the issues surrounding the club resulted in the SFL and its members being placed in a very difficult position not of their own making.

"From the outset, we made clear we would play where we were told to play and we just want to get back to playing football.

"This decision maintains the sporting integrity that clubs and fans across Scotland have been calling for but it also impacts massively on Scottish football as a whole and only time will tell what the consequences will be.

"Rangers has been handed the ultimate punishment of starting again from the bottom of the leagues but there is an overwhelming feeling among fans and within the club of 'wiping the slate clean' as a club free of sanctions.

"The people who brought shame on this great club are no longer part of it and everyone at Rangers is focused on rebuilding the club on top of a solid financial foundation.

"We wish to play a constructive part in Division 3 and encourage our fans to support the other clubs within the league by attending matches and delivering to them the benefits of having Rangers within their league. "

To the point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Right decision has been made, hope they stick to it. If they had made any other decision it would've been a disaster for Scottish football.

As it is the new situation throws up challenges but also opportunities. The lower leagues in Scotland will benefit from the extra exposure that the newco Rangers will bring. Other SPL clubs like Hibs and Hearts and Aberdeen will surely relish the opportunity to get their hands on some silverware.

As regards TV interest, won't they be interested in being part of a developing story and a new league set up that can breathe life into Scottish football? I reckon it's the best thing that ever happened football in Scotland.

Cheerio Rangers, it's been emotional. See ye in a different incarnation soon. Here's something to remind us of the way things were. Those were the days eh. Angus McPherson on commentary, where is he now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5hL6UbstyE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I actually prefer this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=T_xN2rSIky8&feature=fvwrel:D

Good luck to the Newco Rangers(gotta do something with that name though:)), the only way is up from now on - interesting and good times ahead for everyone in the Scottish game?

Madam wrote: »
    I actually prefer this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=T_xN2rSIky8&feature=fvwrel:D

Good luck to the Newco Rangers(gotta do something with that name though:)), the only way is up from now on - interesting and good times ahead for everyone in the Scottish game?

That's an altogether better memory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Des wrote: »
    Do Liverpool FC define themselves as "non-Everton"?

What you are saying about Celtic is just as stupid.

The point I was making is that for a league victory to taste so sweet you really need to do it by beating your most fearsome competition - Man City would have been thrilled anyway of course but to pip Man Utd to the prize in the last minute of the last game means its a fantastic victory for them one to be savoured, whereas Celtic winning by 25-30 points is not half the fun and no one will remember it except for the fact Rangers were not even playing in the same division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

mike65 wrote: »
    The point I was making is that for a league victory to taste so sweet you really need to do it by beating your most fearsome competition - Man City would have been thrilled anyway of course but to pip Man Utd to the prize in the last minute of the last game means its a fantastic victory for them one to be savoured, whereas Celtic winning by 25-30 points is not half the fun and no one will remember it except for the fact Rangers were not even playing in the same division.

Didn't bother Utd when City were playing two levels below them. I suppose Rangersnwill be allowed keep all those trophies they won dishonestly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They had other BIG clubs to beat, Celtic have not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Not going to shed a tear for this lot, their anti-Irish supporters deserve this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I was shown this text by a Rangers fan (old or new or both, he didn't say) from off the BBC website..... he has a fair point.

Anonymous text: "Re: Stephen 16:32 - No, what's wrong with Scottish football is 25,000 Dundee United fans turning up for a cup final, but getting an average gate well under 10,000 for SPL games. I'm a travelling Gers fan and proud. I pay my money and sacrifice my time to watch my team. I know many, many United fans who could pay a fraction of the money I do, a fraction of the time, if they bothered to go watch their team. But they don't. Funny how they have been so vocal on "no to newco" though, isn't it? I've put more money in to Dundee united than they have over the years."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

mike65 wrote: »
    Do Liverpool FC define themselves as "non-Everton"?

What you are saying about Celtic is just as stupid.

There is no question that the competition rangers provided will be missed but Celtic have to get on with it. The key is the champions league, Celtic have a great chance of making the group stages. A European run past christmas would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is there a danger of Rangers saying... "f*ck this we'll apply to the english league" ????

they've always hinted of going south maybe now......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Just seen this on SSN.

"Sky sports would like to apologize for wrongly advertising you could watch Rangers matches in 3D.

We meant D3."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

fryup wrote: »
    is there a danger of Rangers saying... "f*ck this we'll apply to the english league" ????

Well you do not actually apply for the bottom tier of the English League (League 2, the old division 4).
    You have to start a good many levels below that and start working your way up, I'd guess at least 10 years of constant promotions to get to the EPL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

fryup wrote: »

They will be playing in England next season......against Berwick :P

Just saw Gordon Smith on SSN there. He appeared to be fairly bitter about the correct vote today saying that some fans of the oldco will not support the newco in away games to get back at the SFL clubs for not parachuting the newco into div 1. It would be very sad if they did that, very sad and very bitter. I thought most oldco fans wanted to start at the bottom with no strings attached anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Just saw Gordon Smith on SSN there. He appeared to be fairly bitter about the correct vote today saying that some fans of the oldco will not support the newco in away games to get back at the SFL clubs for not parachuting the newco into div 1. It would be very sad if they did that, very sad and very bitter. I thought most oldco fans wanted to start at the bottom with no strings attached anyway.

I reckon they will be in the minority.

Overall, most Rangers supporters are satisfied - well as as much as you could be under the circumstances - with starting over in the third division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Lets see do Sevco satisfy the criteria for membership before thinking that they'll be in Div3
    alex thomson ‏@alextomo

WARNING. Club chairman "Everyone in that room heard that Stewart Regan informed Charles Green that there's no way "Rangers" will be in D3 .

:pac: Before anyone says it, I know what that rat meant

No doubt that Reagan will try to circumvent rules and sporting integrity as written down by the SFA & FIFA.

To ignore your paying customers surely is a recipe for failure. If Scottish Football dies a "slow and lingering death" it will be because of that and nothing else.

NinjaK wrote: »
    Not going to shed a tear for this lot, their anti-Irish supporters deserve this.

Complete nonsense.

I'd rather not get into this but you're confusing anti-Irish with anti-IRA. Of course you have a few morons in every club's support, but in general, Rangers supporters have nothing against Irish people.

(I'm Irish by the way)

Just seen this on SSN.

"Sky sports would like to apologize for wrongly advertising you could watch Rangers matches in 3D.

We meant D3."

As a bluenose who enjoys some much-needed banter, I actually laughed at that!

Gallows humour, I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

NinjaK wrote: »

Complete nonsense.

I'd rather not get into this but you're confusing anti-Irish with anti-IRA. Of course you have a few morons in every club's support, but in general, Rangers supporters have nothing against Irish people.

(I'm Irish by the way)

Shhh!
    Enough of your logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

So does this mean there'll be two separate 50,000+ all-seater stadia in operation for Division 3 games next season?

I can only imagine that is unique for any 4th tier league anywhere in the world.

"Light Blues"? Since when do Rangers wear Light Blue?

Light Blue is the colour Man City wear - don't rangers wear Royal Blue?

RoyalBlue1.jpg

It's a nickname, stemming from around a hundred years ago when Rangers had a team of wee players who were dubbed 'The light and speedy blues'.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    So does this mean there'll be two separate 50,000+ all-seater stadia in operation for Division 3 games next season?

I can only imagine that is unique for any 4th tier league anywhere in the world.

Even if crowds diminish drastically next season at Ibrox, I doubt it'll look as odd as the Queens Park crowd of about 600 heads in a 50,000 all seater stadium. :pac:
    If the Newco can't rely on fans of the Oldco attending in their thousands then they'll have a hard time ever reaching the top tier.

kitakyushu wrote: »

Yes.

I'd say you're probably right - Ibrox and Hampden, home to the mighty Spiders, Queens Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

frankien.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Complete nonsense.

(I'm Irish by the way)

How is the Famine song anti IRA??? Surprise EB likes this post tbh Oh and TTP chants???

How is the Famine song anti IRA??? Surprise EB likes this post tbh Oh and TTP chants???

The famine song has not been sung for a long time now and pray tell what is TTP

Oh and as for EB liking the post maybe the reason we did is simply we mix with Gers fans all the time and maybe Know their feelings. Of course there are muppets who are extremists but the majority don't feel like them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Dempsey wrote: »
    frankien.jpg

No doubt a leap forward in time for some of them :P

• Advertisement

PDESports exclusive - Gilmour: 'I hope the SFL clubs realise the damage they have done to Scottish Football' stmirren

The same Gilmour who voted Rangers out of the SPL.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    PDESports exclusive - Gilmour: 'I hope the SFL clubs realise the damage they have done to Scottish Football' stmirren

The same Gilmour who voted Rangers out of the SPL.

I feel for the ordinary folk who are going to lose their jobs but as for the clubs themselves meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

BBC lunch time news said that the allowing of Club 12 to the SFL Division 3 was conditional to Club 12 obtaining membership to the SFA, and that there is reason to believe that they don't match the criteria for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

BBC lunch time news said that the allowing of Club 12 to the SFL Division 3 was conditional to Club 12 obtaining membership to the SFA, and that there is reason to believe that they don't match the criteria for that.

Come on...this is the SFA and their favourite team the Rangers. Of course they'll be given the all clear.

Come on...this is the SFA and their favourite team the Rangers. Of course they'll be given the all clear.

Wow what a stupid thing to say after whats went on :eek:

Uh-huh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Eirebear wrote: »
    Uh-huh....

Hmmmmm. lol

undee-chief-executive-scott-gardiner-arrives-for-the-sfl-meeting-at-hampden-68347974.jpg

So does anyone think the SFA/SPL will play another hand or is it a done deal that 100% Newco will play in Div.3 this season.
    I myself have a feeling that another hand will be tried. Dunno if it'll be SPL2 or something else, but I think there's something still to come.
    Hope I'm wrong though.

So does anyone think the SFA/SPL will play another hand or is it a done deal that 100% Newco will play in Div.3 this season.
    I myself have a feeling that another hand will be tried. Dunno if it'll be SPL2 or something else, but I think there's something still to come.
    Hope I'm wrong though.

With 2 weeks left untill the start of the season i can't see past Division 3.

However i don't think it's over - we could very well see a push for "SPL2" next season.

Radio Scotland saying a vote of no confidence towards Regan has been asked and seconded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement