Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got offered a paramedic place...but

Options
  • 13-02-2012 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Delighted just got offered a place on the course that is commencing in Phoenix Park in April 2012. I live in Leinster and am wondering what are the chances of being posted to a town or even Dublin for the 'on-the-job' part of the course?

Like has anyone heard of a dub being posted to Donegal or Mayo etc....are most people accomodated. All help with this much appreciated. I'm just trying to accomodate my new family...tricky stuff this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

We have people from donegal in louth, but it may be improving for placements but you will be on a national contract with needs of service. Up to now students have not been told till going out on internship for year normally told on last week.
    Don't know if this helps pm if you want more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

Flix 1,

I also got offered a place in April, hopefully will see you there!

placement wise, they make their best efforts to keep you close to your home for the hospital placements and 3rd person manning. but for the internship as stated already it depends on the needs of the service, but they will make an effort to place you as close as possible, but nothing is confirmed until you get your results.

there is a Student Paramedic national transfer policy, so if you are not happy with your location you can apply for a swap, but that relies on someone wanting to swap with you, and that nobody above you in your or another class........

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

flix1 wrote: »
    Delighted just got offered a place on the course that is commencing in Phoenix Park in April 2012. I live in Leinster and am wondering what are the chances of being posted to a town or even Dublin for the 'on-the-job' part of the course?

Like has anyone heard of a dub being posted to Donegal or Mayo etc....are most people accomodated. All help with this much appreciated. I'm just trying to accomodate my new family...tricky stuff this!

Your going to sign up to a national service as you know, You cannot say that you will work in near your home.
    Placement are normally kept close to your registered address but ambulance station placements especially the year post grad internship can be anywhere.
    Keep in mind theres very few people who are too far from home,most get sorted and swapped back home.
    Dont let distance put you off, go for the training dont let this put you off being a paramedic,GO for IT

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭999nobody

mr.dunkey wrote: »
    Keep in mind theres very few people who are too far from home,most get sorted and swapped back home.

That's a very untrue and misleading statement, a significant portion of staff have travel times in excess of an hour to get to their station and more importantly there is NO national transfer policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

999nobody wrote: »
    That's a very untrue and misleading statement, a significant portion of staff have travel times in excess of an hour to get to their station and more importantly there is NO national transfer policy.

sorry if it sounds misleading, so let me rephrase it.
    Most people i know of in the first of the new paramedic classes have got back to their region of choice.They may still live an hour from an ambulance station in their region.
    For example:The initial problem of people wanting the norteast and going to the south have mostly been sorted as far as im aware.

So an hours travel is not bad for anyone when it could be 4 hours .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Tell that to all the lads and lasses in north east who want to be in donegal. No transfers staying in b&b's, and no sign of getting home.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭999nobody

mr.dunkey wrote: »

So an hours travel is not bad for anyone when it could be 4 hours .

That sounds like management speak!. One hours travel (50 miles), twice a day, 13 shifts per month, fuel at 1.50+.

You obviously live close to where you work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cics94

How do you apply for paramedics in pheonix park :( i cant find it anywhere i have looked all over the place to find a paramedics course

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

cics94 wrote: »
    How do you apply for paramedics in pheonix park :( i cant find it anywhere i have looked all over the place to find a paramedics course

He applied via publicjobs.ie back in 2010. The national ambulance service only just finished another recruitment campaign a few months ago.

You will have to wait until the ambulance service decides to start another recruitment campaign...which.....won't be for another few years.

Currently there are no courses training you to paramedic level in Ireland outside of DFB/NAS

If you looked all over the place then you should have looked here....there's been talk of this recruitment drive since last year

Advertisement