Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A mission - Walking distance in town

Options
  • 13-02-2012 4:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Fellow pedestrians, I beg your attention.

Upon chancing a prominent advertisement for the food emporium Supermacs displayed near the entrance to Lidl car park, I endeavoured to test its claim.
    The missive states that there exists a two minute walk from that point to Supermacs Eyre Square. This implies that the distance is at best two minutes.
    I set my stopwatch as I passed the sign and proceeded at a brisk pace unencumbered by baggage nor obstacles towards the doors of the destination. via Bóthar na mBan & Bóthar Irwin. It took 307 seconds, far far in excess of the advertised timeframe.

I wish you to engage in this mission and confirm my fears that this claim is indeed misleading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

snubbleste wrote: »

Upon chancing a prominent advertisement for the food emporium Supermacs displayed near the entrance to Lidl car park, I endeavoured to test its claim.
    The missive states that there exists a two minute walk from that point to Supermacs Eyre Square. This implies that the distance is at best two minutes.
    I set my stopwatch as I passed the sign and proceeded at a brisk pace unencumbered by baggage nor obstacles towards the doors of the destination. via Bóthar na mBan & Bóthar Irwin. It took 307 seconds, far far in excess of the advertised timeframe.

I wish you to engage in this mission and confirm my fears that this claim is indeed misleading.

You seem to have a bit of time on your hands.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Quick! To the lawyers!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No way that would take less than 10 mins walking normally, 2 mins maybe on a bike and no traffic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Quick! To the lawyers!
    According to many leading internet lawyers and Joe Duffy, false advertising is an actionable tort of great severity.

Is that the sign by advance pitstop?

On the reverse there is an ad for Supermacs Headford road.

They are trying to get you coming or going.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

biko wrote: »
    No way that would take less than 10 mins walking normally, 2 mins maybe on a bike and no traffic.

:eek:

Its never a 10 minute walk.

Lidl - The Square like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

What you need is a trundle wheel, measure the shortest distance in metres while following the pavement to supermacs. Divide that by 120 and you'll find out the exact speed you need to walk at to get there in two minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Hmm but at Lidl you are only 2mins from the Headford Rd SC branch of Superior Macs? Maybe they got the two sides of the sign mixed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lapin wrote: »
    :eek:

Its never a 10 minute walk.

Lidl - The Square like?
    My bad, I was thinking Supermac's Headford Rd to Supermacs, the square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Supermacs have been doing it for years. Its called advertising. They put up signs on the way into loads of town stating 'supermacs 2 mins' so you drive round looking for supermacs for 2 mins. Not finding it you then think, immm i'd love a cheeky cheese burger now, and then finally a couple of mins later again a juicy snack box shaped mirage appears on the horizon & your hooked

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

I dunno whats worse, this actual thread or the fact that i read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Upon chancing a prominent advertisement for the food emporium Supermacs displayed near the entrance to Lidl car park ...

Was this sign, perchance, fitted into the side of a so-called "bin art" rubbish bin? Perhaps a council worker with a wagon decided to relocate the bin after the advertisement had been placed, a sort of bitter revenge for the transgressions of the bin owner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Nice bit of marketing by Supermacs there.

Y'all just 'been had' now :D

The sign is a permanent one and it says two minutes on both sides.

I started counting out the seconds last night while I was walking that way but I was distracted by three young lads looking for directions to the cathedral.

On the way back I used my phone and clocked it at five minutes ten seconds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Thaks pg633.

The offending sign and its inverse
    11siefa.jpgaemst1.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

quickly, get the Tipp-Ex!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

This is the most blatant case of false advertising since the film The Never Ending Story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Well 600m in 2mins would be 5 meters/second.

Perez08a.gif

The fastest Guinness World Record for speed walking is held by Mikhail Shchennikov (Russia) who recorded a 5km walk in 18min 7.08 seconds, giving an average speed of 4.6 meters/second.

Although he might manage a bit faster over the shorter distance, I don't think he eats at Supermacs anyway.

I declare shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I started counting out the seconds last night while I was walking that way but I was distracted by three young lads looking for directions to the cathedral.

My goodness, what's this City come to????:D

• Advertisement

My goodness, what's this City come to????:D
    The novena brings out all types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

2 minutes might be a optimistic but it wouldn't take 10. Swing a left after Argos (towards St. Brigids place), take the 1st right through the laneway (along the back of the car park), up through Debenhams and ta-daaah!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Passed by earlier and obseved that the 2 has changed to a 5. This happened at some point in the last day. I hold grave concerns that boards are popular with the entity concerned.
    So now the sign has changed to 5 minutes walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

The irony here is that any fat fxxxer would walk to supermacs anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

kinetic wrote: »
    The irony here is that any fat fxxxer would walk to supermacs anyway

Genuine lol, thanks!

Thaks pg633.

The offending sign and its inverse
    ...aemst1.jpg

You do realise that a stupor Macs marketiing person probably got a bonus because of this thread? They couldn't buy publicity like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

"Stupor Macs" might be the worst thing I've read all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

If Chip Inn have any cop-on they will put a sign beside it saying 'Chip Inn 20 seconds walk'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Nok1a

JustMary wrote: »
    You do realise that a stupor Macs marketiing person probably got a bonus because of this thread? They couldn't buy publicity like this.

let me see, this thread has over 1k views(maybe 200 unique viewers?). Id imagine an ad in a small village newletter would get more exposure

• Advertisement

Nok1a wrote: »
    let me see, this thread has over 1k views(maybe 200 unique viewers?). Id imagine an ad in a small village newletter would get more exposure

Imagine again, this time factoring in how much Google likes Boards.ie threads.

Advertisement