Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff at top of escalator in Blanch Centre

Options
  • 13-02-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I probably shouldn't be asking such a trivial question however, this has resulted in a significant amount of debate. Does anyone know why there is ALWAYS a member of staff standing at the top of the escalator in the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre doing absolutely nothing?? Surely there has to be a more economical way of achieving the objective...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

lady o wrote: »
    I probably shouldn't be asking such a trivial question however, this has resulted in a significant amount of debate. Does anyone know why there is ALWAYS a member of staff standing at the top of the escalator in the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre doing absolutely nothing?? Surely there has to be a more economical way of achieving the objective...

I've often wondered that, I assume it is an insurance thing or at least that is the only semi-logical thing I thought of.

Also, should be in the Dublin 15 forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

There is a little bump at the top of the escalator making it hard for trollies to make it up. Their primary job is to aid in getting trollies up.

Doyler92 wrote: »
    There is a little bump at the top of the escalator making it hard for trollies to make it up. Their primary job is to aid in getting trollies up.

But surely fixing the bump would make more sense than paying a person to stand there all day to do it. I know we need job creation but still!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phurryphace

Always wondered about that and assumed it was to watch for false insurance scammers or something like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I think it's in case a trolley or pram gets stuck at the top. In cases like that the escalator keeps coming, forcing people into the back of the stuck person, and possibly causing someone to be pushed over the side.
    The staff members stationed there help pull heavy trolleys off the escalator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Exactly the reason.
    And it isnt the same person standing there all day, every day. They are cleaners. They take turns who works on top of the escalator.

Of all things to question op! :pac:
    Sounds like you are moaning a little about them too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    But surely fixing the bump would make more sense than paying a person to stand there all day to do it. I know we need job creation but still!

Im not being smart but this isn't the case. The little bump is to allow the escalator "to go back inside" so it's able to keep going around in a cycle.

Im not being smart but this isn't the case. The little bump is to allow the escalator "to go back inside" so it's able to keep going around in a cycle.

I understand the basic concept behind escalators, but in that case why don't all other escalators require people standing at the top of them? Tesco in Maynooth springs to mind as being quite similar to Blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

tesco in maynooth has the trollies stuck to them magnetically, Im not sure blanch does.
    Still I hate using them, peopele think they are there so they dont have to use their legs, rather than move people about faster. I always take the stairs quicker. Life is just to short for slow motion esclators maned of otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I always take the stairs quicker. Life is just to short for slow motion escalators .....

Me too, mostly because I cant abide that people wont walk on the escalator, and wont stand to one side to let others past. I dont think I've ever had a trolley in the centre, so I've never had the need for the escalator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

Solution: design a new front for the trollies, attach a self lifting ski thingy.

No wait, what about the person standing at the top with 3 kids and a mortgage? next time give them a tip.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

tesco in maynooth has the trollies stuck to them magnetically, Im not sure blanch does.
    i don't know the maynooth ones specifically, but most trolleys that are in places where there are escalators (afaik usually called travelators if there are no steps) and where the two are meant to meet, the trolleys will have grooves in their wheels to allow them to drop into the grooves on the floors of the escalator which in turn allows a kind of foot pad to rest on the surface of the escalator to take the weight off the wheels so they can't move back.

you can see it here:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbr9qGlQrsBvOpM9CMYQkko_dDw619QCsoTElhPjeyr7VIqIuH

when you get to the top, the little teeth at the top that go into where the grooves are on the steps lift the trolley wheel out and off you go again.

and yes, i'm aware i'm a total nerd for even knowing that. :pac:

i hadn't thought of trolleys getting stuck, i just assumed that because it was such a long and busy one that if there were ever any issues with people getting things (in general, not specifically trolleys) stuck in them there would be a massive pile up before anyone hit the emergency stop button.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

I just thought they were checking out the talent :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dubsox

I assume that the guy can also turn off the escalator if there's a problem and, as someone who once got caught in a crush on one, I'm always happy to see someone there to help.

In my case, I was going down on an escalator at an airport when the cases of some people ahead of me got stuck at the exit. Before I knew what was happening I was on the floor with about six people and twelve heavy cases on top of me....not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Gaspode wrote: »
    I dont think I've ever had a trolley in the centre.

You haven't lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

lady o wrote: »

A few years ago a toddler ran ahead of the parents and fell to their death in the gap at the glass on the top of the escalator. That's why.

Sad but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Gaspode wrote: »
    Me too, mostly because I cant abide that people wont walk on the escalator, and wont stand to one side to let others past. I dont think I've ever had a trolley in the centre, so I've never had the need for the escalator.

You wanna walk = take stairs
    You dont wana walk = take escalator.

Cant combine the two imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭DamoNolan

Any time im there they always have the smallest women i have ever seen standing there i think its funny ha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I've always wondered about this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alandublin33

its an insurance issue , if someone elderly or otherwise got jammed up at the top it would be mayhem, especially if they were pushing a packed trolley , and if the people are at the top to witness whats goin on , theres less chance of someone gettin the condition known as claimyitus , we all know a couple of them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

A few years ago a toddler ran ahead of the parents and fell to their death in the gap at the glass on the top of the escalator. That's why.

Sad but true.

That tragic accident actually happened in Dunne Stores, not at the escalator with the people at it. There was a gap at the top of the escalator in the Dunnes clothes department upstairs and the child fell though it and ended up in the food hall. That gap is since closed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Max Power1 wrote: »
    You wanna walk = take stairs
    You dont wana walk = take escalator.

Cant combine the two imo.

You must be having a terrible time on the Tube then I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Knine wrote: »
    That tragic accident actually happened in Dunne Stores, not at the escalator with the people at it. There was a gap at the top of the escalator in the Dunnes clothes department upstairs and the child fell though it and ended up in the food hall. That gap is since closed up.

I was there that day, he fell right in front of an ATM, if there had of been a que it could have been much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

While they're at it, they could try educating people to stand to one side so those who want to walk on it can do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

mattser wrote: »
    While they're at it, they could try educating people to stand to one side so those who want to walk on it can do so.
    i imagine it would be a small enough thing to have it painted with one side red and one side green with 'stand' and 'walk' labelled on each side and have signs up at the entrance to the escalator.

maybe they don't want people walking on them though? all that health and safety ballhoox people are always yapping on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Knine wrote: »

That is so sad. What a terrible accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

T-Maxx wrote: »
    You must be having a terrible time on the Tube then I imagine.

When did Ireland get a tube?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yes, it's to help people with trollys and prams..

On a side note.. I remember going up that escalator one day, years ago with my little Niece in her buggy and my heavily pregnant Friend.. it was a Friday afternoon and the place was packed!! And, unusually enough, there was nobody standing at the top.

The man in front of us, in his infinite wisdom decided to put his trolly (full to the brim with food) on SIDEWAYS.

When it got to the top the trolly got jammed and, everyone behind him, me being directly behind this nitwit.. were of course still moving up towards him and people, unaware of the situation were still piling on at the bottom..

After about 2 nightmarish minutes of panic, and my Niece screaming in distress because her little legs were jammed up against this guys trolly.. somebody hit the emergency stop button..

It was quite a frightening experience.. All I could think of was the Heysel Disaster.. probably a bit dramatic, but that's what it felt like at the time :(

When we got off and were all standing around at the top.. making sure everyone was ok.. The guy skulked off over towards Debenhams (then called Roches) and his Wife had to come over and apologize to everyone..

Twat!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

xzanti wrote: »
    Yes, it's to help people with trollys and prams..

On a side note.. I remember going up that escalator one day, years ago with my little Niece in her buggy and my heavily pregnant Friend.. it was a Friday afternoon and the place was packed!! And, unusually enough, there was nobody standing at the top.

The man in front of us, in his infinite wisdom decided to put his trolly (full to the brim with food) on SIDEWAYS.

When it got to the top the trolly got jammed and, everyone behind him, me being directly behind this nitwit.. were of course still moving up towards him and people, unaware of the situation were still piling on at the bottom..

After about 2 nightmarish minutes of panic, and my Niece screaming in distress because her little legs were jammed up against this guys trolly.. somebody hit the emergency stop button..

It was quite a frightening experience.. All I could think of was the Heysel Disaster.. probably a bit dramatic, but that's what it felt like at the time :(

When we got off and were all standing around at the top.. making sure everyone was ok.. The guy skulked off over towards Debenhams (then called Roches) and his Wife had to come over and apologize to everyone..

Twat!!!! :rolleyes:

Well we know that guy was definitely not some of the lads on her who have never had a trolley in the centre!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

ntlbell wrote: »
    When did Ireland get a tube?

In fairness to the Tube, there is an unspoken ettiquette by most that they stand to the left to allow those who want to walk use the right. Usually it's only tourists that are unaware of it. I've seen signs advising Keep to Left (but it may have been at another city's underground).

Advertisement