Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff at top of escalator in Blanch Centre

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Look on the bright side, if this was in the States the person at the top of the escalator would be standing at the top with their hand out looking for a dollar if they helped you with your trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

As someone else said, they only started having someone stand there after the Dunnes incident with the toddler. I might just be making this up in my head, but I have a faint memory of something else happening at the main escalator too, around Christmas time a couple of years ago. I think some child got stuck at the top or something like that, and it was only a while after the Dunnes incident so there was uproar. After that there's always been someone standing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

kkumk wrote: »
    As someone else said, they only started having someone stand there after the Dunnes incident with the toddler. I might just be making this up in my head,

I think you may be, they've been there for a long as I remember. I thought it was pretty obvious why they were there, maybe because I've see occasions were people struggle to get a pretty full trolley off the end so the person just drags it from their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

Has anyone else noticed that they also have STAIRS....to help get the lead out of ones ass !!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

As someone else said, they only started having someone stand there after the Dunnes incident with the toddler. .

I was there that day.. I was operating one of the tills.. Thankfully I was too far back to see it happen but one of the ladies operating the Express tills had to be sent home, in shock as he landed right in front of her..

It was awful... I was a little sickened that they carried on 'business as usual' that day tbh.

Guess I've been privy to a few eventful days in that Shopping Center..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    But surely fixing the bump would make more sense than paying a person to stand there all day to do it. I know we need job creation but still!

you cant fix an escalator ,it the metal bit at the top !!

the reason why there's always a blanch rep at the top of the escalator is to help someone with a trolley or buggy up on to the second level at the top, trolleys also lock to the escalator and are hard to push/pull on and off the escalator and some may need assistance,they are also there in case of an emergency or event on or around the escalator

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

As someone else said, they only started having someone stand there after the Dunnes incident with the toddler. I might just be making this up in my head, but I have a faint memory of something else happening at the main escalator too, around Christmas time a couple of years ago. I think some child got stuck at the top or something like that, and it was only a while after the Dunnes incident so there was uproar. After that there's always been someone standing there.

nope ,no they didnt , my brother worked on top of the escalator around the 2001/2001 for 2 years and i remember them having people there since the start!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

The wheels of the trolley lock into the travelator/escalator so it can't roll backwards. It can't be pushed forward either, and it's uphill in any case. When you get to the top, you suddenly have to accelerate the loaded trolley unless you want people all over the back of you. When the SC is quiet and people maintain a fair following distance on the yoke it's not too big a deal, but often folks fall asleep and trip over their own feet at the top, nevermind getting the trolley in motion.

[/thread]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

mattser wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that they also have STAIRS....to help get the lead out of ones ass !!

Yes, but the stairs are oriented in the opposite direction, so are only really helpful if you're going to/from the Red entrance.

Advertisement