Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Ireland`s dole cheats" tv3 tonight 9 o`clock

• 13-02-2012 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

Hi :)

Watching the advert for this programme on tv3 and at the end there was what I consider a statment that made very little sense stating that if all dole cheats were caught we could reverse the cutbacks. Em....... how many people percentage wise do you think are committing fraud?

I reckon, completely uneducated guess, maybe at a push 5% equating to around 22,500 people to differing degrees committing some form of fraud from small scale like not declaring some saving which would mean €5 or 10 less in there dole to people working and claiming the whole dole with or without other benefits.

I know this is a hot topic around here so what do you think is the scale of fraud, am I being naive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

theg81der wrote: »

Watching the advert for this programme on tv3 and at the end there was what I consider a statment that made very little sense stating that if all dole cheats were caught we could reverse the cutbacks. Em....... how many people percentage wise do you think are committing fraud?

I reckon, completely uneducated guess, maybe at a push 5% equating to around 22,500 people to differing degrees committing some form of fraud from small scale like not declaring some saving which would mean €5 or 10 less in there dole to people working and claiming the whole dole with or without other benefits.

I know this is a hot topic around here so what do you think is the scale of fraud, am I being naive?

Definitely more than three fiddy:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

Even if they took every single person off the dole just because they felt like it, we couldnt 'reverse all the cutbacks'...Tv3 not exactly known for accuracy of reporting or strong grasp of maths..finance...economics...politics...etc etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Even if they took every single person off the dole just because they felt like it, we couldnt 'reverse all the cutbacks'...Tv3 not exactly known for accuracy of reporting or strong grasp of maths..finance...economics...politics...etc etc
    And RTE are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Do the Indo have anything to do with it?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Is this a new programme or a repeat of one we have seen before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

From the time I spent on the dole I would say near to 10%. I was on and off it from early 09 to early 2010. I am also aware of a lot of people who are working in the UK and come back here once a month to sign on, the money is sent to their bank accounts as they signed on pre 09 or something. A few East Europeans still do this as well. I am also aware of people signing on on behalf of mates who have emigrated to Australia and Canada. The system is too easy to abuse at the moment.

So the dole being €188 add on stuff such as rent allowance, probably averaging well over €70 per week, thats say €260 x 52 x 45,000 = over €600,000,000 at a conservative estimate. They could stop this by:
    • making people sign on once a week.
    • payment on signing on by cheque to be cashed in a Post Office.
    • Mandatory bio-metric ID cards.
    Along with this they should reduce the rent allowance by €5 per week every year for the next 4 years and reduce the amount that the landlord gets by €5 per week annually.

I personally believe all social welfare money should be put on a Laser type card, where say, €20 could be taken out per week cash, the rest can be spent on bills, food, clothes etc, no alcohol allowed.

I also think that childrens allowance should be treated as taxable income, and that it should be reduced by 25%, if you name the father of the baby you get the 25% back. Then go to the father and remove €40 per week off the dole or off their PAYE income for every kid they have who is not living under their roof. The responsible fathers wouldn't be affected, the ones who feck off would be hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

And RTE are?
    So anytime someone criticizes something, they are automatically praising their competitors? False logic, dear, what I said indicates my low opinion of the Tv3, fully justified in light of the ridiculous statement the OP is about, no more, no less, and says nothing of my feelings towards RTE or any other channel :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

bijapos wrote: »
    [*]making people sign on once a week.
    In a post office?
    [*]payment on signing on by cheque to be cashed in a Post Office.
    Or just give them the money through the post office.
    [*]Mandatory bio-metric ID cards.
    Don't passports have biometric crap on them already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Em....... how many people percentage wise do you think are committing fraud?

Going by the number of people who spend WHOLE days trolling on boards.ie about the public sector while at the same time never mentioning the millions spent on welfare, in my opinion I'd say about 30%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

du Maurier wrote: »
    Definitely more than three fiddy:pac:

Quiet possibly the most annoying term on boards, I even prefer blast them with piss :p

Do you not have to collect your money every week in the post office? I thought this was brought in to stop people flying back once a month to sign on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

can't imagine the general irish dole claimant agree'ing to biometrics...

It would however solve a LOT of problems.

their response,

"oh big brother... blah blah"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

their response,

And why would we need them to agree im sure the rule will be changed to only allow people who accpet the biometrics to sign on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Feeona wrote: »
    Going by the number of people who spend WHOLE days trolling on boards.ie about the public sector while at the same time never mentioning the millions spent on welfare, in my opinion I'd say about 30%.

Sure it ends up amounting to the same thing; you get paid by the state and do sweet **** all. Only, on the dole you get slightly less because you do have the luxury of staying in bed all day, whereas with public sector jobs you have to at least get out of bed to make the sick call. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

From the time I spent on the dole I would say near to 10%. I was on and off it from early 09 to early 2010. I am also aware of a lot of people who are working in the UK and come back here once a month to sign on, the money is sent to their bank accounts as they signed on pre 09 or something. A few East Europeans still do this as well. I am also aware of people signing on on behalf of mates who have emigrated to Australia and Canada. The system is too easy to abuse at the moment.

What? never even heard of this!

So the dole being €188 add on stuff such as rent allowance, probably averaging well over €70 per week (em....flaw in your logic less than 10% of people on the dole are in receipt of rent allowance), thats say €260 x 52 x 45,000 = over €600,000,000 at a conservative estimate. They could stop this by:

See above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A simple solution to reducing the social welfare bill would be to kill the poor and the sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

A simple solution to reducing the social welfare bill would be to kill the poor and the sick

As I suggested a while ago the government may be looking at as an option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

As I suggested a while ago the government may be looking at as an option!

Eh ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

amacachi wrote: »
    In a post office?

Or just give them the money through the post office.

Don't passports have biometric crap on them already?

No, sign on as normal in the SW office, then hand them the cheque, last I was on the dole the cheques were sent out in the post. Passports are not linked up to PRSI numbers so they wouldnt be much use.
    Originally Posted by bijapos viewpost.gif

What? never even heard of this!

So the dole being €188 add on stuff such as rent allowance, probably averaging well over €70 per week (em....flaw in your logic less than 10% of people on the dole are in receipt of rent allowance), thats say €260 x 52 x 45,000 = over €600,000,000 at a conservative estimate. They could stop this by:

See above

1. Up until a certain time they were paid into bank accounts, either way in the total 37 weeks I was on the dole I was never once asked for ID at the post office when cashing in the cheque.

2. I wrote "stuff such as", there are a lot of allowances that you are entitled to on the SW, I've no idea what they average out at. These figures are from 2009, 95,000 on rent allowance for a total of €500 million, no idea what the figures are today, but any way to stop or cut down fraud needs to be acted on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

So the dole being €188 add on stuff such as rent allowance, probably averaging well over €70 per week, thats say €260 x 52 x 45,000 = over €600,000,000 at a conservative estimate. They could stop this by:
    • making people sign on once a week.
    • payment on signing on by cheque to be cashed in a Post Office.
    • Mandatory bio-metric ID cards.
    Along with this they should reduce the rent allowance by €5 per week every year for the next 4 years and reduce the amount that the landlord gets by €5 per week annually.

I personally believe all social welfare money should be put on a Laser type card, where say, €20 could be taken out per week cash, the rest can be spent on bills, food, clothes etc, no alcohol allowed.

I also think that childrens allowance should be treated as taxable income, and that it should be reduced by 25%, if you name the father of the baby you get the 25% back. Then go to the father and remove €40 per week off the dole or off their PAYE income for every kid they have who is not living under their roof. The responsible fathers wouldn't be affected, the ones who feck off would be hit.

You are making way too much sense.... I await the ridiculous counter arguments!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

More right wing sensationalist rubbish, I suspect. Get up out of that, TV3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Still waiting for TV3's searing expose of the wbankers who actually bankrupted the country.

I won't hold my breath.

Coming up next week, TV3's Lorraine Keane exposes Ireland's scamming single mums?

Stay classy, Ballymount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Is this on before or after 'Irelands Dream Debs.....Revisited'???

TV3 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

token101 wrote: »
    Sure it ends up amounting to the same thing; you get paid by the state and do sweet **** all. Only, on the dole you get slightly less because you do have the luxury of staying in bed all day, whereas with public sector jobs you have to at least get out of bed to make the sick call. ;)

Ah well you're a woman hater, so your opinion doesn't hold much water :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

TV forum???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No, sign on as normal in the SW office, then hand them the cheque, last I was on the dole the cheques were sent out in the post. Passports are not linked up to PRSI numbers so they wouldnt be much use.
    Why is the SW office sign-on a necessity? The majority of people have to go to the post office to sign every week to pick up their money. I have to present my SW card with my name and DoB on it and a passport with the same.[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Of the top of my head the dole accounts for about 4.4bn of the 21bn euro social welfare bill per yr.(450,000*188*52)

Can we have programs highlighting the other types of welfare cheats? Ya know, why not target the cheaters amongst the other 16.5bn bill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭cichlid child

hondasam wrote: »
    Is this a new programme or a repeat of one we have seen before?
    Just seen the add it is a repeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Still waiting for TV3's searing expose of the wbankers who actually bankrupted the country.

I won't hold my breath.

Coming up next week, TV3's Lorraine Keane exposes Ireland's scamming single mums?

Stay classy, Ballymount.

You meant Xposé?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

An interesting proposal, but once again it's just trying to invent a system to cover a perceived flaw without too much thought behind it.

If you have a family with young kids on the social those kids will need cash for school. I remember in school i needed to bring in a tenner here or five quid there for all manner of random ****. I don't think 20 quid cash really covers the possibilities that face all the different people who live on social welfare.

Personally 20 quid cash just wouldn't help me out at all...it would actually make my life hell. Due to illness i have a huge issue using keypads and the like...it could take me up to 5 attempts to get my pin number in, and that's after struggling to get the card into the machine in the first place. When my payment comes in I just spend an agonizing 10 minutes at an ATM getting it out with people behind me huffing and puffing and generally being ignorant. If i am having a particularly symptomatic day i'll ask my fiance to go to the ATM for me. Hell, the only reason you can read this post is because of spell-check.

Like i said, it's an interesting concept but you have no idea how much this would marginalize certain people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

YFlyer wrote: »
    You meant Xposé

Actually, I did not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

their response,

How would you describe the "general Irish dole claimant" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

it is the system's way of trying to get the public to rat on people they know who are fiddling welfare.. make a program like this, make a statement like you mentioned at the end, and sit back and watch the country do all the dirty work for you.

The savings made of the recouped welfare money wouldn't keep NAMA and the golden circle in dinner for 1 week.. and it is because of their actions we are facing the cut-backs. But not a word of this of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I won't hold my breath.

Stay classy, Ballymount.

I just spotted that you had already made the very point I was just trying to make. In a way, this is reminicent of the Magda from Poland sh**-storm... it takes the focus off the people who sank us into this mess and turns the attention of the public onto small, more comprehendible sums than €30billion etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

TV for ****heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Just seen the add it is a repeat

Well then this thread is pointless.
    TV forum next time OP.
    I have a €50 bet on with dr.b that we can go a full week without a dole bashing thread. Not looking too good.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement