Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justifiable Reasons for Breaking a Lease?

Options
  • 13-02-2012 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

What is a justifiable reason for breaking a lease?

I signed a 12 month lease 4 months ago. When I first made contact with the letting agent I explained that I was looking for someplace quiet, because of my work schedule I don't work regular hours, and do shift work, night duty etc.
    Anyway, my neighbour (downstairs) is a royal pain in the ass. Noise all the time like he is moving further, and last night he started blasting his stereo at midnight until almost 3 am, not fun when I should have been up at 6am for work.

So, is having a noisy neighbour reason to break the lease and start looking for someplace new? Really like where I am living and the idea of having to pack up and move so soon is horrible, but I can't deal the racket.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Neadine wrote: »
    So, is having a noisy neighbour reason to break the lease and start looking for someplace new?
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

snubbleste wrote: »
    No.

Well thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

No, not a reason to break the lease. It is up to you to check out the area before committing yourself to a 12 month fixed term lease.

If you are in an apartment complex with a management company in existence, get you landlord to make a complaint to the MC about the noise of occupier in that flat.

If he is renting, his landlord is, to a great extent, responsible for the tenants social behaviour. However, it would be hard to claim it is anti-social behaviour with just a few occasions to back you up. You will need detailed records over a period of time.

odds_on wrote: »
    No, not a reason to break the lease. It is up to you to check out the area before committing yourself to a 12 month fixed term lease.

If you are in an apartment complex with a management company in existence, get you landlord to make a complaint to the MC about the noise of occupier in that flat.

If he is renting, his landlord is, to a great extent, responsible for the tenants social behaviour. However, it would be hard to claim it is anti-social behaviour with just a few occasions to back you up. You will need detailed records over a period of time.

The 'moving furniture' type noise doesn't bother me, but his music blarring full blast until 3am on a Monday morning, not happy about, there is no place in my apartment that escaped it.
    He is renting, but I have no idea who his landlord is, or even how to find it, all of the apartments are individually owned, so how does one find that kind of information?

The management company would have it, complain to them, they'll pass it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Exactly. Blaring out loud music at 12am will almost certainly be breaking the rules of the apartment complex which are enforced by the management company, so lodge a compaint with them and let them deal with it either through the tenant or their landlord.

djimi wrote: »
    Exactly. Blaring out loud music at 12am will almost certainly be breaking the rules of the apartment complex which are enforced by the management company, so lodge a compaint with them and let them deal with it either through the tenant or their landlord.

I am assuming there is some sort of Management Company, but I don't seem to have any details for them - this is first time apartment living for me. Will get on to the letting agent and see if they have info.

I am assuming there is some sort of Management Company, but I don't seem to have any details for them - this is first time apartment living for me. Will get on to the letting agent and see if they have info.

Id be surprised if there isnt a management company. They usually put a sign inside the front door of the apartment complex with the rules and contact numbers on it.

The letting agent will tell you who they are anyway. If you are struggling to find out their details hang a satellite dish from your front window and they will contact you pretty fast :)

Id be surprised if there isnt a management company. They usually put a sign inside the front door of the apartment complex with the rules and contact numbers on it.

The letting agent will tell you who they are anyway. If you are struggling to find out their details hang a satellite dish from your front window and they will contact you pretty fast :)

There are no signs anywhere with any sort of contact details, it's a really small complex, only 4 apartments, which was why I choose it, fingered smaller would be better and quieter.
    This guy actually knocked on my door one night of the first week I had moved in complaining that my washing machine was too loud and 'going to come down through the ceiling'. Since then I had not used my washing machine at night, out of consideration, but I think my consideration may be rapidly running out.

Maybe use that as a way to explain to him how thin the walls/ceilings are, and remind him to have some consideration of his own.

• Advertisement

Maybe use that as a way to explain to him how thin the walls/ceilings are, and remind him to have some consideration of his own.

Think I just may have a load of laundry that HAS to be done later tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Owen2346

Think I just may have a load of laundry that HAS to be done later tonight!

I don't recommend that. Tit for tat stuff like that generally doesn't make things any better.

(My upstairs neighbour listens to music from 12:30-7am, I once put on music at 7am ,when i guessed he was going to bed, for revenge, it didn't accomplish anything but lessen my case against him maybe)

Have you tried going over to talk to him about it?
    I'd say you should try that first if you haven't already.

Advertisement