Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost estates in and near the city

Options
  • 13-02-2012 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,
    Are there any large and picteresque ghost estates in Waterford and near it?
    I want to use one or two for my college assignment but found only one so far (in Ferrybank, by Abbey Road). I also kn0ow that there's one in Stradbally but that's a bit too far for me and it's kinda nice one, while I need really ugly sites with lots of rubbish and unfinished houses.
    I would be grateful if you could point me in right direction.
    Kris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

I'm in Mount Suir, Gracedieu, lot of unfinished houses here. Not a lot of rubbish to be honest, looks more so like a building site in parts. There are apartments near the main road behind Frydays Chipper that are unfinished and would probably make for some great shots. Deeper into the estate there are houses in various stages of build but have been on hold for years now. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

fudark wrote: »
    Hi,
    I want to use one or two for my college assignment but found only one so far (in Ferrybank, by Abbey Road). I also kn0ow that there's one in Stradbally but that's a bit too far for me and it's kinda nice one, while I need really ugly sites with lots of rubbish and unfinished houses.
    Kris

Do you just need a few photos of the estate? I live very near the ones in Stradbally if you want I could take a couple of photo's for ya? They wouldn't be anything special now. I'm far from a professional. The Estate has really run down in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

whatever about unfinished estates, you won't find much rubbish in any estate in waterford,
    cleanest city in europe by a long shot

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Few houses along the Six Cross roads in estates that are not finished. Poor road surface etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭fudark

ziedth wrote: »
    Do you just need a few photos of the estate? I live very near the ones in Stradbally if you want I could take a couple of photo's for ya? They wouldn't be anything special now. I'm far from a professional. The Estate has really run down in recent times.

I actually need to take few photos myself for a project. And make a music video in a derelict and messy setting. Still Stradbally is too far, I have only 5 hours of shooting on one day. I'll stick to Waterford.
    Thanks anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

whatever about unfinished estates, you won't find much rubbish in any estate in waterford,
    Go up the Cahhigpherish road and open your eyes the place is a disgrace.

marlin vs wrote: »

Where exactly? I live on that road and don't notice rubbish? The only eyesores I can see are the unfinished buildings and the fences destroyed by the travellers. Not rubbish per se.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Maybe there are r's all over the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Hi,
    Kris

sounds like he is looking for some free copper pipes... empty houses easy targets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

http://www.nuim.ie/nirsa/research/documents/WP59-A-Haunted-Landscape.pdf

The dataseet supplied with this report (tab 24) lists 15 ghost estates across Waterford City and County - might be something in the references to help you track down locations? Original paper used data from geodirectory which is not (as far as I know) publicly available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

will a gway outta that boy, theres no rubbish anywhere in this city,
    the place is soptless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

http://g.co/maps/7n7bn

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

I have to agree. Pass along here every day and the amount of rubbish thrown on the left as you start down the hill to the Clayboy end is a disgrace. Looks mike dumped rubbish rather than litter.

Also agree about Mount Suir making for great pictures, especially the half built apartment block on the way in. They've started readjusting the road and painting lanes on the way in/out of there now.

wmpdd3 wrote: »

That picture's a few years old I would think. No boardings, signage or dug earth there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah most are March 2010 I think, but thats the place I was thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Also out Dunmore East Airfield Point less than half the houses built are occupied if your still looking for places

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Trailer Trash looking for an easy mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

skodacb wrote: »
    Also out Dunmore East Airfield Point less than half the houses built are occupied if your still looking for places

Never heard of this place, where is it in Dunmore?

Go up the Back of the haven to Coxtown and it's on your right hand side big yellow entrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Oh yeah, I know the place, just thought it had a different name for some reason :) Yeah loads of empty houses in there still

• Advertisement

The assignment done. Photos of ghost estates taken (on negatives only, so can't show them here) and hopefully I get some good marks.
    Thank to everyone who pointed me in the right direction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Okay i know your finished but ive been in Waterford Retail Park and its scary, looks like something from Chernobyl or Apocalypse Now!

Amazingly eery and already destroyed

Okay i know your finished but ive been in Waterford Retail Park and its scary, looks like something from Chernobyl or Apocalypse Now!

where is that?
    I might use video assignment :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

where is that?
    I might use video assignment :)

Six Cross Roads roundabout, big retail park that was built but never opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Head off is it?

I demand someone go take a few pictures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

im on it :P

Sully wrote: »
    Six Cross Roads roundabout, big retail park that was built but never opened.

Musgraves cash and carry moving in there in the next few months , they have taken half of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Yeah i heard about that(Musgraves), the planning permission was put up but the place they stuck it up wasnt in full public view, it was on the gate up a steep hill where the fence/wall is.

Does that mean it will be a suppliers now? like just for trade sales?

Im glad it was taken over because it looked a real shame after a walk around there.

Yeah i heard about that(Musgraves), the planning permission was put up but the place they stuck it up wasnt in full public view, it was on the gate up a steep hill where the fence/wall is.

Does that mean it will be a suppliers now? like just for trade sales?

Im glad it was taken over because it looked a real shame after a walk around there.

Yeah the place looked very impressive when first finished. Only time I was up there since then was when Aldi had the big warehouse sale up there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Is this it?

Are you saying the retail park has been vandalised?

Advertisement