Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I need to provide in my Apartment for rental market

Options
  • 13-02-2012 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm about to rent my apartment out for the first time on a long term basis. I know I don't need to leave sheets or towels but do I need to leave bedding or just the mattress?

Also is it common to provide a television? I need to buy one in order to do that but I don't want to slow down my chance of renting the apartment out.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Technically you dont have to leave anything if you dont want to.

Where an apartment is let as furnished it is normal to leave beds with mattress, kitchen table and chairs, living room furniture and kitchen appliances (fridge and washing machine, sometimes kettle and microwave). You also must provide somewhere for people to dry their clothes. Other than its up to you. Not everywhere will have a TV, and Id imagine most people moving into an apartment will probably have their own TV anyway (tbh I dont think Id be keen on leaving a TV in a rented apartment anyway unless its an ancient 20" tube telly or something that wont cost the earth if it gets broken!).

The key is to be honest with people when viewing the apartment as to what is going to be left for them. Make it clear to them when showing it to them, and then document everything you leave behind (and I mean everything, right down to light fittings) in the lease that they sign when they move in. Anything that is not agreed to in the lease is technically not there, and you have no comeback if it is missing/damaged when they move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

You don't "have" to provide either of those things, in fact a lot of tenants would prefer not to sleep on a second-hand mattress. If a tenant makes an issue of it at the viewing you can always offer to provide one.

Providing a TV can also lead to misunderstandings over who's responsible for the license fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Don't provide a TV. Few tenants would expect one, and most would have their own. Also, as with all other appliances that you provide, if it breaks down, it is up to you to repair or replace it. So the less there is in the apt of that nature, the less there will be for you to have to repair or replace over time. Don't provide any bedding. Most people would prefer to use their own. If prospective tenants kick up a fuss about having to do so, that could be a huge red flag that they are going to be overly fussy tenants who expect you to do and provide everything for them, or that they are so short of funds in general that you may have issues with them paying their rent on time.

When I was apt hunting last year, I must have looked at over 30 properties. The following would have been standard everywhere I looked:

Living room

Sofa
    Armchair
    Dinning table & chairs
    Table or stand for telly
    Curtains

Bedroom

Double bed with mattress
    Bedside table(s) with lamp(s)
    Built in wardrobe or free standing one
    Curtains or blinds

Bathroom

Bath/shower
    Shower curtain/door
    Toilet paper holder
    Towel Rail

Kitchen

Oven/cooker
    Fridge
    Microwave
    Washing machine or washer/dryer combo
    Kettle
    4 dinner plates
    4 side plates
    4 mugs in press
    4 sets of knives/forks/spoons
    1 large pot
    1 medium size pot

Other than that, it is up to you. You could decide to provide stuff such as an iron and ironing board, clothes horses if there is no dryer, a hoover if there are carpets there, art work for the walls, cushions, rugs etc. You don't have to, but the more attractive or "homey" that your place looks, better chance of you finding a renter. Or maybe not. There is no hard and fast rule.

The main criteria for most renters will be price and location and the overall state of the place, such as is it clean or dirty, is it bright and modern or old and shabby looking? I don't think that you will lose many prospective tenants if all of the bits and bobs that we use in our day to day life are not there when they first look at the place. The lack of them being there will probably only occur to most people after they have already moved in. It will then be up to them to acquire these things if they want/need them.

Whatever you do choose to leave in the apt, make sure that you and your tenants sign an inventory of its contents. If anything is damaged (over and above normal wear and tear) or missing when they move out you, can deduct its cost of repair or replacement from their deposit & you'll have the paperwork to back that up.

I wouldnt even bother with pots, cups, crockery or cutlery to be honest. I wouldnt use stuff like that if it was left in an apartment and Im sure a lot of people feel the same. Crockery is only likely to get broken also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Ignore the usual nonsense.
    The legal minimum is outlined in statute.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,19142,en.pdf
    2)Subjecttosub-article(1),thereshallbeprovided,withinthehabitable areaofthehouse,fortheexclusiveuseofthehouse: (a)4ringhobwithovenandgrill, (b)Suitablefacilitiesfortheeffectiveandsaferemovaloffumestothe externalairbymeansofacookerhoodorextractorfan, (c)Fridgeandfreezerorfridge-freezer, (d)Microwaveoven, (e)Sink,withapipedsupplyofcoldwatertakendirectfromtheservice pipesupplyingwaterfromthepublicmainorothersourcetothe buildingcontainingthehouseandafacilityforthepipedsupplyof hotwater,andanadequatedrainingarea, (f)Suitableandadequatenumberofkitchenpressesforfoodstorage purposes, (g)Washingmachine,oraccesstoacommunalwashingmachinefacility withinthecurtilageofthebuilding,and (h)Wherethehousedoesnotcontainagardenoryardfortheexclusive useofthathouse,adryer(ventedorrecirculationtype). (3)Allfacilitiesundersub-article(2)shallbemaintainedingoodworking orderandgoodrepair. (4)Responsibilityformaintenanceoffacilitiesundersub-article(2)shallrest withthelandlord

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Ehh, sorry about the spacing! Posting on phone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

OP, if the current mattresses are clean and decent (would you sleep on them?), then buy some mattress protectors and leave the sealed pack on the bed to show they're new.

Off topic, but I can't understand why a microwave and a tumble dryer (if no garden) are must haves for renting a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Thoie wrote: »
    OP, if the current mattresses are clean and decent (would you sleep on them?), then buy some mattress protectors and leave the sealed pack on the bed to show they're new.

Off topic, but I can't understand why a microwave and a tumble dryer (if no garden) are must haves for renting a house.

I agree about a microwave (although I use one regularly).

In most apartment complexes it is prohibited to hang washing out the window/on balcony. As there is no where to dry clothes (apart from in the apartment, which is a prime cause to start/re-introduce mould) the only way out is to have a separate dryer or a washer/dryer, either of which should extract the damp air to the exterior of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

odds_on wrote: »
    I agree about a microwave (although I use one regularly).

In most apartment complexes it is prohibited to hang washing out the window/on balcony. As there is no where to dry clothes (apart from in the apartment, which is a prime cause to start/re-introduce mould) the only way out is to have a separate dryer or a washer/dryer, either of which should extract the damp air to the exterior of the building.

In 8 years of drying clothes on a clothes horse in the bathroom, I've never had a problem with mould, but I do open the windows daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Thanks a million for all your help. Nice to know I don't have to go finding a cheap telly to leave here. Will provide basic crockery - heading to ikea for some cheap and cheerful plain versions and mattress with protector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

I have an apartment that i rent out. I put flat screen tvs in each of the rooms. Its a 3 bed apartment

3 x 32 inch Flat Screen tvs in each of the bedrooms.
    1 x 50 inch flat screen in the main kitchen/living room
    Leather recliner couches
    Expensive foam mattresses
    Expensive furnishings

I spent a BOMB on the place but the gas thing is another landlord who decked out his place with stuff from free web sites gets just 80 euro less than me a month in the same complex.

His attitude is "Your mad spending that on an investment apartment, sure it will be destroyed on ya luv"

Im wondering do other landlords invest big style in their properties? Is it worth it?
    My thinking was if you supply a top notch pad you will have less hassle as tennants will see you have made an effort on the place so less damages and longer stay tennants. But from talking around to other landlords who have filled their rental accomodation up with hand me downs and tat from freewaste.ie im no better off.
    I have the place painted every 16 months. Should i be bothering investing so heavily in these rental properties?
    The tv in one of the bedrooms has been broken (by itself of course just stopped working) I am strongly thinking of just replacing it with a crappy old 21 inch old style fat tv thats 15 years old!
    How much effort should one make when investing in furnishing an investment BTL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

I have an apartment that i rent out. I put flat screen tvs in each of the rooms. Its a 3 bed apartment

3 x 32 inch Flat Screen tvs in each of the bedrooms.
    1 x 50 inch flat screen in the main kitchen/living room
    Leather recliner couches
    Expensive foam mattresses
    Expensive furnishings

I spent a BOMB on the place but the gas thing is another landlord who decked out his place with stuff from free web sites gets just 80 euro less than me a month in the same complex.

His attitude is "Your mad spending that on an investment apartment, sure it will be destroyed on ya luv"

Im wondering do other landlords invest big style in their properties? Is it worth it?
    My thinking was if you supply a top notch pad you will have less hassle as tennants will see you have made an effort on the place so less damages and longer stay tennants. But from talking around to other landlords who have filled their rental accomodation up with hand me downs and tat from freewaste.ie im no better off.
    I have the place painted every 16 months. Should i be bothering investing so heavily in these rental properties?
    The tv in one of the bedrooms has been broken (by itself of course just stopped working) I am strongly thinking of just replacing it with a crappy old 21 inch old style fat tv thats 15 years old!
    How much effort should one make when investing in furnishing an investment BTL

eh you mean there's no tv in the bathroom?

seriously, tho, wannabe my landlord? Never seen a place kitted out to that standard! That said, 80*12 is 960 a year which means the nice couches and tvs will pay for themselves after 2ish years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I think that you have probably answered your own questions there OP, when you mentioned the other land lord who only makes 80 quid less than you do. I rent in a part of Dublin that is very close to town. It ain't cheap by any means. When I was apt hunting, I couldn't believe the over all manky state of the fixtures and fittings and furniture in most of the apts that I looked at. Every so often, I'd come across a nice one but the diff in the rents asked between them and the manky ones was minimal.

The idea behind your philosophy sounds nice in theory, but sounds unlikely in reality. But do your own research and find out for yourself if your investment in nicer stuff is worth it. Find out what your competition is doing. Talk to local estate agents, talk to other land lords in your area, go on Daft.ie and MyHome.ie and do some comparison shopping of apts of similar size, location, age etc etc to yours. Go and view a few of them and see how they are kitted out. Ignore the asking prices and ask what the landlords would take in reality. If you are able to ask and get a SIGNIFICANTLY higher rent than them, then yeah, your investments may be worth it, but I have a sinking feeling that over time it really won't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

I think there should be much more supply and demand created in Ireland for unfurnished. I think its much better all round. At the moment there just isnt the demand for unfurnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

nosietoes wrote: »
    Thanks a million for all your help. Nice to know I don't have to go finding a cheap telly to leave here. Will provide basic crockery - heading to ikea for some cheap and cheerful plain versions and mattress with protector.

Hopefully you haven't gone to Ikea yet. Their beds and bedding is all Euro sizes so won't fit any Irish bases or mattresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

djimi wrote: »
    I wouldnt even bother with pots, cups, crockery or cutlery to be honest. I wouldnt use stuff like that if it was left in an apartment and Im sure a lot of people feel the same. Crockery is only likely to get broken also.

Can I ask why?! confused.gif Do you eat out, ever? Or do you ever eat in other peoples' houses?

I'd definitely expect all of the above to be provided when I rent a furnished apartment ... it's not mandatory, but I've rented quite a few apartments/houses over the past few years, and all of these things were there, and I certainly had no problem using them (obviously I washed them first!)

OP, in response to your query, I'd definitely expect a mattress if I was renting a place. And I wouldn't move into a place without one, as it would be hassle trying to get rid of one I bought, when the time came to move out! But I definitely would not expect any other bedding etc. It might be in your interest, though, to invest in mattress protector yokes! ;)

I wouldn't expect a TV, and if you're renting to someone who has rented elsewhere before this, chances are they'll have their own. As said above, if you do provide one, make sure this is specified as part of the rental agreement, and make it clear who's responsible for the licence etc.

Can I ask why?! confused.gif Do you eat out, ever? Or do you ever eat in other peoples' houses?

I'd definitely expect all of the above to be provided when I rent a furnished apartment ... it's not mandatory, but I've rented quite a few apartments/houses over the past few years, and all of these things were there, and I certainly had no problem using them (obviously I washed them first!)

I wouldnt use crockery, pots and cutlery in a rented apartment because I have no idea how well it has been washed, what it has been used for and what sort of people used it before me. Its a bit different from eating out or eating at other peoples house as I put trust in a restaurant to give me clean plates and cutlery, and generally if Im eating in someones house I know the people who are serving me the food!

Each to their own, but for the sake of maybe €30 for a few plates, cups, knives and forks I would prefer to know at least what I am using is new and clean!

I wouldn't expect a TV, and if you're renting to someone who has rented elsewhere before this, chances are they'll have their own. As said above, if you do provide one, make sure this is specified as part of the rental agreement, and make it clear who's responsible for the licence etc.

You (the tenant) are responsible for the TV license. It is the reponsibility of the occupant of the house to have a TV license, not the landlord, and while there is nothing to stop the landlord buying the license in your name, I really dont see many (if any) wanting to do this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Occupant is responsible for the TV licence as said above

But if the tenant doesn't want the old castoff TV the landlord left then the landlord can be told to come around and take it away.

Maybe the tenant doesn't want a TV or possibly they have their own.

Storage space is a premium in many flats and it's a reasonable request to ask the landlord to take it away if you don't want it

Last place I rented that had a TV I just put it in the bedroom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

djimi wrote: »
    I wouldnt use crockery, pots and cutlery in a rented apartment because I have no idea how well it has been washed, what it has been used for and what sort of people used it before me. Its a bit different from eating out or eating at other peoples house as I put trust in a restaurant to give me clean plates and cutlery, and generally if Im eating in someones house I know the people who are serving me the food!

Each to their own, but for the sake of maybe €30 for a few plates, cups, knives and forks I would prefer to know at least what I am using is new and clean!

Now that you mention it I remember once leaving a kitchen fork out, which I used to scrape things off the drain when it got blocked, as the drain had rough edges and toilet paper and stuff you to get stuck on it and had to be pushed off when it built up. The fork could get a grip on it easily. I always left it beside the back door because I didnt want to use it for food,l ever.
    When I left that house I left it there too. Then landlord probably threw it back in the drawer because he wouldnt of know why it was left there. Ick.

I also had a special plate for leaving out to feed the cat. Im sure that ended up back in the press too.

And the time I a kitchen knife wrapped in a cloth to scrape dirt from the grout in behind the toilet.

Jesus, the more I think about it the more I realize how much I feel sorry for the next person to use that stuff.

Sorry, whoever you are, who was the next tenant. I didnt mean it :eek:

Advertisement