Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who makes your blood boil?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

kowloon wrote: »
    Had one really bad case of that. He would just blast through an example without pause. No time to work along with him. Students just stopped turning up to the workshops and started hitting tutorials on youtube instead.

People are now paying £9k a year (in the UK) for courses where many of the modules are effectively marking services where postgrads grade work the students have learnt to do on their own time.

Of course most aren't so bad, but the lecturers who can't even be arsed to do their own lectures should be weeded out.

Perhaps it's time for the outdated third level system to get an overhaul, maybe a separation of research and teaching? At least to some degree.

If that could be implemented it would be great. I've done research and some university teaching, and I think that I'm a decent teacher and have a knack for it. But I don't enjoy research as much, and the idea of pursuing a career in academia isn't appealing to me, as I'd only be doing a few hours' teaching a week, and spending more time doing work I didn't enjoy.
    The only problem with separating research and teaching is that some people good at both might have to choose and the university might lose a good researcher or students might miss out on a good teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

An interesting perspective from Richard Feynman on dividing research and teaching duties.

http://www.pitt.edu/~druzdzel/feynman.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If someone's good at both the more power to them, let them split their responsibilities. But it just seems so shortsighted to me to force people to do both and subject students to their apathy.

The ones who are really fired up about teaching, that are really enthusiastic about passing on their knowledge and not just guarding their intellectual territory and getting things published that few will ever read or benefit from, these are the ones who make the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Racism

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The rapping Dublin Taxi driver on the NRC radio ads, even though the ad has been running for months at this stage it still stirs up very dark emotions within me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Where do I start? eh..in no particular order

1. Pretentious college students, they get on my wick, you know the kind where a guest speaker comes into college to do a talk and he takes questions from students. There is always one student in the room that must stand up and ask like a dozen or more questions one after the other using every word in his thesaurus without letting the speaker answer the first one or two questions so he doesn't end up leaving any answer out. While I am writing about students, I will also add dickhead poncey students (mostly from the Dublin area but they are spread out aswell) that have plenty of money for piss-ups on the weekends then moan for the rest of the week of money troubles. There is a small part of me that wants to see college fees rise just to sicken them.

2. Reality TV shows especially the celebrity ones, as I don't know who half of these faceless misfits are. For example that Frankie Cocozza guy. How does being on the X-Factor for 5 minutes make him a celebrity? I hate all these talent shows with a passion especially when I have to sit through them at home with family eating Sunday dinner as my damn parents watch it. It irritates me when the singer comes in at first and they might have an o.k voice and there is the few that don't and then the judges turn them down and they get all emotional and start bawling, which I really can't stand seeing.

3. Jedward

4. Katherine Lynch (she is as funny as an infected scrotum)

5. Dana trying to become President of Ireland, like come on!

6. Secondary school students queuing in any deli at lunch time and skip the queue. A lot of them have no manners or common courtesy.

7. Blokes on nights out that have to do shout with excitement when out on the town. You know the ones you see stretching out their arms and bellowing like an idiot outside a nightclub. Usually the type of guy that ends up in a paddy wagon by 2am.

8. Women that always seem to pick the muscle bound, half man, half brylcreem douchebags. It always ends in tears. Complain or correct me if you like, I am going by my experiences.

9. People that have to post arguments with friends as a status on Facebook, using unbelievable fowl language. People don't care about stupid disputes and will initiate me to click "unsubscribe" a fine feature might I add. I could remove these people but I try not to be cruel.

10. People that talk about giving up smoking and say "I’ve been trying to quit for 5 years now and I just can't do it"....these people need to grow up have some will power and they could do it. If you ask me €8.50+ should be motivation enough to quit in times like this. Feckin ridiculous money to be forking out every day. Then people try to weasel out of paying the €8+ by buying the "hooky" cigarettes that people smuggle over here that are full of carcinogenic ****e as most of these people complain of chest problem and say "they taste rotten", yet people don't give a toss, once they are cheap.

11. Jersey Shore/Geordie Shore, The Only Way Is Essex, Tallafornia and any other show like them. These shows severely boil my piss. They are full of stuck up spoiled young people that have had it too easy all their lives, fiction or non fiction they are still a bad influence as much as I hate busting peoples bubble on this one as apparently these shows are going down well, I made myself sit through Jersey Shore and Geordie Shore to see what the big deal was about and its more crap on television I despise. Remember when MTV was MTV? Ah those were the days :) These shows are going to turn primitive vulnerable teenagers into slappers and douchebags, I can guarantee it as most are influenced by the general muck they watch on tv. Good thing some of us have the internet in our moments of peril when there is nothing decent on the box, big thank you to Netflix and Watchseriesonline that have saved me from taking a sledgehammer to my TV.

12. Argumentative atheists, They annoy me with the whole "Im right and you are wrong" attitude. I'm not into religion myself but I think people can believe in whatever faith they want i'm pretty o.k with it as long as they don't force it on other people or begrudge other faiths and act out in violence. Unfortunately that is still happening. Actually I will quote the late great George Carlin he was an atheist probably the only one I admire as his humour was fantastic and his beliefs became very clear towards the end of his career. He said “Thou shalt keep thy religion to thy self”

13. Skangers: If there is one thing I really hate about Irish society this is the first thing that comes to mind. I had to attend a vocational school between 2002 and 2007 with 95% of the students being complete and utter wastes of space. They are a bloody eye sore to look at. The dress code is always a tracksuit tucked into the socks. In the evening time I always come across the all too familiar sight of a skanger with a bag of beer which is deemed by normal people as piss, usually Linden Village Cider, Dutch Gold or Dunnes Stores Lager. They are a leech on the state by inpregnating their slapper girlfriends usually the ones you all would see in town pushing a buggy towards the social welfare office. Most of these ****ers only get a house when they become old enough to drink because they were stupid enough to knock up some bimbo and claim rent allowance then they live off the state for years with no intention of doing anything to support their families. The female dress sense is no different either a lot seem to like the pink tracksuit with "Juicy" written on the arse part which must seems to attract "Mr Fred Perry and Reebok classics" like flies to ****. You can't help but look as these ones wearing the "Juicy" crap they are usually more wide than slim it’s too hard to miss them. These parasites made life a misery for me in school by ridiculing me over things like paying attention in school and actually doing my work, what I do in my spare time, how many girls I "met", my music taste, my reasons for not wasting money on cannabis, (yeah I know unbelievable) my overall character in class (being nice and civil to the teachers instead of a complete and utter dick). These people need to be rid of before they inhabit the place. I can see it now... 2030 Ireland: The country infested with gargantuan anti-social half-wits blaring Tiesto and that squeaky voice music morning noon and night, the most popular beer in the country will be Dutch Gold (Oh please God Nooooo!)

14. Football: Probably the most retarded thing to watch. Any sport that involves this hatred rivalry. Example: Scouse Scum...Man Utd scum etc . Lets get this straight if they weren't being paid £100,000+ per match to play they wouldn't be playing in the first place. As much as I love to burst peoples bubble on this one I will add more onto what I write. There should be a pride aspect to the sport. How many players are actually from the cities they play for? People would hate me for this but by what I read very little. The Liverpool team alone is made up of Australian, Spanish, Danish, Brazilian, Uruguayan, Argentinian, Dutch, Slovakian and a few British, Scottish and Welsh. If I had to write about other teams id probably get similar stuff. It’s just a big business on buying and selling players. I bet you anything half these players couldn't even find their way around the city that is funding their lifestyles. I hated this sport growing up for the same reason as above, with the exception of the World Cup until recently as it created a good buzz when Ireland was in it I remember it all from 1994 and 2002 I heard all about Italia,90 too but too young to remember it sadly. Later on that element of the game was ruined for me when the French ruined it in 2009 with the infamous handball. I also hate the whole rolling around on the pitch thing players do if they are "injured" then as soon as the whistle blows and are the player is awarded a free, they are up off the ground as fast as lightning with a "miraculous recovery". Drives me insane whenever i’m watching it in the split second it takes to flick over to CSI or anything on Discovery.

15. People that post “Drinking” as a hobby, pastime or as a status on their Facebook pages. It’s just an annoying thing people do. Proves how much of a problem the drinking culture is here. I enjoy a drink as much as the next person but posting it as a pastime just seems stupid to me posting on a Friday or Saturday night “Can’t wait to get locked!” as a status update. These people need a hobby.

16. People that post “Stay at home Mammy is my job” under the work section of their Facebook pages. Being a stay at home mother isn’t a job it’s a responsibility. If you are not working just keep that space on your page empty or have a past job in the section. It’s just a little annoying but it’s not boiling blood annoying.

17. That tv show on RTE “The Restaurant” where poncey muppets appear as judges that spend the night talking pretentiously while stuffing their fat faces analysing the food and wine. I’m just waiting for the night one of them chokes on their own tongue while eating a scallop. When I was a kid if I didn’t like my dinner I either got a clout in the ear until I eat it or someone else ate it for me and faced the fear of spending the evening hungry until tea time. These judges should shut the f**k up or even better take the show off the air and throw on a repeat of Only Fools and Horses or something instead.
    18. Bratty children that don’t get a clout in the ear for misbehaving both at home and in public. These “celtic tiger” parents nowadays don’t believe in disciplining their children. I used to work in a supermarket and I really hated when the children pulled a wobbler at the checkout or on the shop floor. Usually over sweets or donuts or whatever. I’ve had days where I had to clean up litres of orange juice and jars of jam or other messy ****e over these little terrors, all the mother does is stand there most of the time and just saying calmly “Oisin, Oisin stop that now”. Looking back to when my siblings and I were small, if we did anything like that, we would have got murdered for it.
    I think I will leave it at that, I could be here all night thinking of stuff to throw into my rant. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

^^^^^^^
    This post absolutely reeks of awesomeness. I thought I must've been sleep-typing again because these 18 nuggets of wisdom are pretty much what I believe also. Fair play good sir/lady/ladysir.

Thank you Omackeral, not bad for a first post, I joined just so I could post this, i've been meaning to join up here for ages though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Tommy Tiernan - not funny , just loud and crude
    Des Bishop -tries too hard
    Jason Byrne - just annoying, plays stupid too often
    Jimmy Carr - just a sarky bastard
    Alan Carr - just a fairy
    lots more "not so funny wannabe funny men"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

zcorpian88, if carlsberg made posts. enough said :)

• Advertisement

DoneDL wrote: »
    zcorpian88, if carlsberg made posts. enough said :)
    Awww shucks ye two are going to make me blush haha. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

That gee bag "Cassie" off FYI on 3e, with her ridiculous fake American accent. :mad:
    WTF
    Please tell me she is actually American or spent a long time there
    If she is fully Irish with no American connection then i hate her - a lot.

Oh and that weather boy off FYI also.
    The outfits and general cheeseyness makes me laugh

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Thank you Omackeral, not bad for a first post, I joined just so I could post this, i've been meaning to join up here for ages though.

If you like to rant, then this kip will be right up your Kirsty....

lefthooker wrote: »
    Tommy Tiernan - not funny , just loud and crude
    Des Bishop -tries too hard
    Jason Byrne - just annoying, plays stupid too often
    Jimmy Carr - just a sarky bastard
    Alan Carr - just a fairy
    lots more "not so funny wannabe funny men"
    Tiernan had his good moments, I believe his peak is on the "Cracked" dvd. His last few dvds were mediocre he is gone quite loud and shouts through his act he's good at pushing the boundaries alright probably a bit too far with that Madeline Mcann joke he did during the Kilkenny Cats Laugh a load of people got up and walked out after it (ouch). He does have good stints whenever he's on the Late Late. I like Des Bishop a lot though, all his dvds were decent. Fairplay to him for doing the Irish, He is a better man than I :P Jason Byrne is alright, might be a bit too silly but I don't really mind it. Totally agree on Jimmy Carr i'm not a fan of his really and Alan Carr I haven't seen much of him but he was average he had a few haha jokes in him. Wasn't in stitches or anything

pabloh999 wrote: »
    That gee bag "Cassie" off FYI on 3e, with her ridiculous fake American accent. :mad:
    WTF

**** YEAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!! Christ on an actual bike. I've nearly thrown many a shoe/utensil/infant at the television on hearing this yoke speak. She makes Jedward sound like they hail from deepest darkest Finglas South.

Tiernan had his good moments, I believe his peak is on the "Cracked" dvd. His last few dvds were mediocre he is gone quite loud and shouts through his act he's good at pushing the boundaries alright probably a bit too far with that Madeline Mcann joke he did during the Kilkenny Cats Laugh a load of people got up and walked out after it (ouch). He does have good stints whenever he's on the Late Late. I like Des Bishop a lot though, all his dvds were decent. Fairplay to him for doing the Irish, He is a better man than I :P Jason Byrne is alright, might be a bit too silly but I don't really mind it. Totally agree on Jimmy Carr i'm not a fan of his really and Alan Carr I haven't seen much of him but he was average he had a few haha jokes in him. Wasn't in stitches or anything

Don't think so. They get him on the show to fill a hole in their guest list and generate publicity. He comes on looking scruffier each time, shouts a lot and tries to insult someone. The morons in the audience roar with laughter.
    Anytime I hear Jason Byrne on the radio he comes across as a shouty gob****e too

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ciaranpm

That Barry Scott lad ...…........ ahhhhhhhhh and that bloody noisy Australian Harvey can funk off too

lefthooker wrote: »
    Don't think so. They get him on the show to fill a hole in their guest list and generate publicity. He comes on looking scruffier each time, shouts a lot and tries to insult someone. The morons in the audience roar with laughter.
    Anytime I hear Jason Byrne on the radio he comes across as a shouty gob****e too
    If there is one thing I don't like about Tommy Tiernan. A lot of comedians tend to do this but if they guest on a chat show they always refer to material on their dvd to get laughs from people in the audience that haven't seen it yet. Then people go buy the dvd and most people that saw the comedian on the chat show forget the joke and laugh their arses off again. I always remember if they covered that joke on the chat show. Pretty much shows they can be sketchy at being as funny on the spot without referring to the dvd. You would be surprised with how many comedians do it. They always give away 1 or 2 from the dvd, kinda like a preview. Yeah I agree about Tommy's scruffyness, he can get away with though since he's got no day job, the rest of us poor buggers have to be clean shaven and scrubed up looking :( I envy him in a way, no authority in the workplace :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Those damn Angry birds,,anyway,, another few goes and i will quit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

WTF

I hat no idea who she was until I read your post and I googled her. I now hate her with a fúcking passion. From what I've read about her in the last few mins she hasn't lived in america or anything. She's just an annoying cúnt with a fake accent.

Just even listen to the opening lines of this video she does...

On another note, I can't stand Rachael Allen! Another ridiculous accent! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Our President for Life

Keira Knightley...Gives me serious rage!! The girl seems to possess only one facial expression, and it's highly smug and annoys the bejaysus out of me! I just don't see what all the fuss is about (and no, it's not all just down to jealousy...). I just can't forgive her for ruining Atonement - could have been a perfectly good adaptation of a great book if it weren't for her snooty mug plastered all over the screen. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Oh Christ I just listened to that Cassie person and now I hate her too. Whats wrong with these people?? Can we not build special work camps on the Blaskets and exile all offenders to there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

That fuppin new fella on Countdown,Nick Hewer or whatever his name is! What a condescending obnoxious pillock of a man!

Now Rachel always makes me smile:)

While were on about Irish "celebrities" I will mention Brian Kennedy and Paul Martin also. When they had that bust up on that stupid show the dinner yoke I forget the name of it, made me hate them. Then the next stage of bickering on the Saturday night show a few weeks back made me hate them even more. I didn't even know who Paul Martin was until the news made a big frigging story about the wine incident. A lot of people were actually choosing sides like I didn't choose sides as the whole thing is fecking stupid. Brian is just a childish softie and Paul Martin is the typical D4 overpaid journo muppet that everyone should despise.

If there is one thing I don't like about Tommy Tiernan. A lot of comedians tend to do this but if they guest on a chat show they always refer to material on their dvd to get laughs from people in the audience that haven't seen it yet. Then people go buy the dvd and most people that saw the comedian on the chat show forget the joke and laugh their arses off again.

I wouldn't give a single cent of my hard earned to line that gimps pockets. In fairness though his dvd's would probably make good tea/coffee coasters:rolleyes:

Play.com not accepting Laser, the c unts.

Nicki Minaj. Christ almighty, what an annoying person, every single thing about her irritates me, and she's all over the place now.

I tend to not get irritated by people I have never met, but I challenge anyone to look at one of her videos and not grit your teeth.

*BTW she's a "singer" in case you are blissfully unaware

Aww ****e you made me look arggh !

I loathe cowards with ****ty checklists

WTF

Oh and that weather boy off FYI also.
    The outfits and general cheeseyness makes me laugh

Though I hate to appear to defend Cassie, I feel I should point out that she spent a lot of her youth in Canada, so that might explain her accent.

I do loathe everything about FYI though. I hate the forced casualness of it all, from giving far more attention fluff pieces than to actual news stories, saying cringeworthy things like "Check this out!" when introducing story, to having a title that tries to trick you into thinking it's not actually a news programme, because news is for NERDZZZ LOL!!

The main presenter also makes far more pronunciation and grammatical errors than ought to be expected from a professional broadcaster.

Yet I find myself watching it sometimes due to some dark masochistic impulse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Lazy able bodied people who insist on parking in disabled parking spots :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Oh yeah totally agree there. Can't understand why a lot of sites don't take Laser. The economy needs all the help it can get, they should open this door to the folks that are lucky enough to have money....but hey there's always an o2 card :)

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Lazy able bodied people who insist on parking in disabled parking spots :mad::mad::mad:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcyM-vTqb3s

Have to laugh at those gormless airheads on Take Me Out, the ones who say stuff like "I couldn't date a ginger" or "I couldn't listen to his accent" or "I don't like boggers".
    Irony of ironies, there's not one ounce of them thats natural(hair colour, extensions, tan, nails, tits) they speak with scangerised/americansed accents and more than likely one of their parents/grandparents originated from outside the Pale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭hardbackwriter

While were on about Irish "celebrities" I will mention Brian Kennedy and Paul Martin also. When they had that bust up on that stupid show the dinner yoke I forget the name of it, made me hate them. Then the next stage of bickering on the Saturday night show a few weeks back made me hate them even more. I didn't even know who Paul Martin was until the news made a big frigging story about the wine incident. A lot of people were actually choosing sides like I didn't choose sides as the whole thing is fecking stupid. Brian is just a childish softie and Paul Martin is the typical D4 overpaid journo muppet that everyone should despise.

Paul Martin is English , how can he be D4 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond, two insufferable cunts

Actually, anyone who likes top gear at all should be fed to the pigs

ItsAWindUp wrote: »

I've just realised that hardly any websites accept it. FFS the numpty working in Bank of Ireland said it was one of those new Visa Debit cards:mad:

• Advertisement

Is he? He doesn't sound English to me, His name sounds English actually. I took him to be Irish, ya know south side Dub perhaps. Hard to know really all these journos especially the ones that write stuff on celebrities put on these slightly camp accents. Ya don't know if they are English, Irish or Americans half the time! I remember reading his article in response to Tubridy interviewing Ronan Keating and Martin wrote something on Tubridy. He was basically bitching about Ronan Keatings affair and he said "why didn't Tubridy grill Keating on the affair?". It's totally out of place to go into his personal life, its intrusive and downright rude like. I just find Martin to be a feckin parasite for writing it. At least Tubridy had some respect as Ronan was a guest. He has a personal life and its already in the public eye, no need to embarrass the guy further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭hardbackwriter

Is he? He doesn't sound English to me, His name sounds English actually. I took him to be Irish, ya know south side Dub perhaps. Hard to know really all these journos especially the ones that write stuff on celebrities put on these slightly camp accents. Ya don't know if they are English, Irish or Americans half the time!

Paul Martin, showbiz journalist for the Irish mirror ?, he's clearly from around London

Paul Martin, showbiz journalist for the Irish mirror ?, he's clearly from around London
    Well either way he's a tool. Thanks for correcting me though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

saying cringeworthy things like "Check this out!"

Saying "Check this out!" is cringeworthy :confused:

Lanaier wrote: »
    Saying "Check this out!" is cringeworthy :confused:

In the context of a news programme, most definitely!

I know it's "yoof" news for the trendy students who have personal internets and digital on-lines, but I still expect a certain standard of professionalism.
    Newsround on the BBC is a far superior example of an informative news programme which still appeals to a young audience, and that's for children!

It's successful as it doesn't make the rookie mistake of talking down to kids.
    Yet FYI (sorry, f.y.i: capital letters are like, so lame?) basically talks down to its much older target audience, using very forced "modern, cool" language that sounds so out of place on a news programme, and assuming its viewers can't tolerate five minutes of like, boring grown-up stuff like war and s**t? without having to have it broken up by a video of someone falling into a swimming pool.

Anyway, after thinking about it, I do actually think the phrase "check this out!" is pretty cringeworthy. The only Irish person I can imagine using it unironically and making it sound appropriate is Tony Fenton.
    It's the kind of phrase that teenagers on tv programmes written by much older adults would say, but no real person would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Anyway, after thinking about it, I do actually think the phrase "check this out!" is pretty cringeworthy. The only Irish person I can imagine using it unironically and making it sound appropriate is Tony Fenton.
    It's the kind of phrase that teenagers on tv programmes written by much older adults would say, but no real person would.

I say "check this out" all the time.
    Perhaps I've been away too long, thought it was a part of normal parlance these days.

Lanaier wrote: »
    I say "check this out" all the time.
    Perhaps I've been away too long, thought it was a part of normal parlance these days.

Perhaps it is, and I'm just an out-of-touch old dinosaur :).

You ever hear the term West Brit??

No? Well you will. A lot.

It's one of AH's 5 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

The broken glass door on my microwave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

My kettle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

TV3 crime documentaries.
    What old fcuking news. Tell us something we don't already know.

Advertisement