Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which blade for ripping

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I need to rip a 9x3 for a job, and only really have one shot at it.

I have two blades

One 40 tooth, these are the specs, but the pic is wrong
    http://www.makitauk.com/accessories/front/?id=3401&model=D-03919

and one 12 tooth, but no detailed specs on it.
    http://shop.parkerbs.com/product/Makita_B-02939_Circular_Saw_Blade_12T_190mm_Dia_30mm_Bore_L03338

Any clues as to which will be better for ripping?

I know I'll have to finish the cut by hand, but I'll live with that if I have most of the work done by the circular saw.

I'm confused at the number of teeth in both photos as opposed to the spec quoted.
    Both look as if they are aggressive ripping blades, but the first one seems to have a narrower kerf, which would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

the specs are correct, but the pic is wrong on the 40 tooth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Are you ripping with a portable saw ? Its not the number of teeth that count, its the angle and grind that matter.
    I'd invest in a dedicated ripping blade ( no 2 blade looks like one ? ) which will make all the difference.I'd say a 3" cut is maximal for a190mm blade so you need the most efficient blade possible.
    Blades can be had on *bay for very little dosh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

JohnBoy wrote: »
    the specs are correct, but the pic is wrong on the 40 tooth
    I like 40 tooth blades for most work but that's on a 250mm blade.
    It's a trade off between speed of cut and quality of finish/amount of planing to be done after the cut.
    40 teeth on a 190mm blade would be more suitable for cross cutting.

12 - 18 teeth would be about right for ripping with a 190mm blade.

All the photos on the Makita site seem to be at odds with the spec.
    Best thing is to click on the photo and see the number of teeth printed on the blade itself.

A good blade is always worth the money. These are good too.
    http://www.freudtools.com/p-36-thin-kerf-ripbr-nbsp.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I'll go with the 12 tooth one so.

the teeth all look good and sharp so I'll see how I get on.

ultimate finish isnt the most critical I suppose, just want something straight, and easier than doing it by hand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

recipio wrote: »
    Are you ripping with a portable saw ? Its not the number of teeth that count, its the angle and grind that matter.
    I'd invest in a dedicated ripping blade ( no 2 blade looks like one ? ) which will make all the difference.I'd say a 3" cut is maximal for a190mm blade so you need the most efficient blade possible.
    Blades can be had on *bay for very little dosh.

Excellent tip,:)

kadman

Advertisement