Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At what point in the viral world is it fair to kick a friend off your facebook

• 13-02-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

When posting on facebook I suddenly find myself stopping mid sentence sometimes and wondering if I post this mildly offensive joke poking fun at the way my facebook friend dresses will they be so offended by the language or feel insulted by being laughed at that i might suddenly become a facebook enemy blocked from their page . It is more usually if the friend is an acquaintance I find i double check what i am posting and would be much more cautious about what I post.

Do any of you thinly skinned boardsies have strict rules about what people can post on your facebook page.Would it be ok to just kick someone off your friends list because there brand of humour didn't suit your particular mood

If they were sexist, or racist or something that might be considered offensive would they get a warning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

pirelli wrote: »
    I find myself stopping mid sentence sometimes and wondering if I post this mildly offensive joke poking fun at the way they dress;will they be offended by the language or feel insulted and become facebook enemies usually if the friend is an acquaintance I would be much more cautious about what I post.

Do any of you have strict rules about what people can post on your facebook page.Would it be ok to just kick someone off your friends list because there brand of humour didn't suit your particular mood

If they were sexist, or racist or something that might be considered offensive would they get a warning.

Who are you, Mark zuckerberg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

If they use FB primarily as a way to get you to vote for them in silly competitions then it's time. Jokes etc you can just delete if they're offensive, blatant racism then you're probably hitting the de-friend button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I saved anyone the trouble of deleting me off thier Facebook, I deleted my own profile. Facebook sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

No. I never give it a second thought. What I find about facebook is that people tend to get offended or hot and bothered a LOT less than they do on boards.ie. Yet the jokes and the opinions expressed on there can be very controversial.

Part of this, of course, is down to the fact that we tolerate more from our friends than we do from total strangers.

But also, I think a lot of that is down to the absence of anonymity. People find it too easy to get offended on the internet sometimes, especially when they can lash out from behind a keyboard and then got on with their day.

On facebook, these people are your friends, your exes, your family and work colleagues. People tend to be much more controlling of their rage and indignation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

baraca wrote: »
    Who are you, Mark zuckerberg?

Mark Suckerburger ! Maybe i have facebook tourrets but sometimes i like to take the piss and i know I am going kicked at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I saved anyone the trouble of deleting me off thier Facebook, I deleted my own profile. Facebook sucks.

3rd post? That was fast. Always the same with facebook threads, always have someone piping in about how they don't use it.

TheZohan wrote: »
    If they use FB primarily as a way to get you to vote for them in silly competitions then it's time. Jokes etc you can just delete if they're offensive, blatant racism then you're probably hitting the de-friend button.

So you would delete a friend if you they were racist...likely maliciously so rather than humourlessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The fact your posting about a "moral dilemma" on facebook is bad.

Suggest you remove all these "aquaintances" and just have your actual friends, people who know you. Then you can post what you like, as they know who you are and will know you're joking.
    Instead of you having to worry about whether your friends girlfriend who you met once at a party will find your comment funny.

later10 wrote: »
    No. I never give it a second thought. What I find about facebook is that people tend to get offended or hot and bothered a LOT less than they do on boards.ie. Yet the jokes and the opinions expressed on there can be very controversial.

Part of this, of course, is down to the fact that we tolerate more from our friends than we do from total strangers.

But also, I think a lot of that is down to the absence of anonymity. People find it too easy to get offended on the internet sometimes, especially when they can lash out from behind a keyboard and then got on with their day.

On facebook, these people are your friends, your exes, your family and work colleagues. People tend to be much more controlling of their rage and indignation.

Boards.ie does bring out the keyboard warrior in you. If you post a critical comment on my facebook it's water of a ducks back but if you argue with me on boards.ie i seriously want to get even. It's bizzare and likely part of the reason i created this thread.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    The fact your posting about a "moral dilemma" on facebook is bad.

Suggest you remove all these "aquaintances" and just have your actual friends, people who know you. Then you can post what you like, as they know who you are and will know you're joking.
    Instead of you having to worry about whether your friends girlfriend who you met once at a party will find your comment funny.

I knew someone would eventually issue pragmatic instructions to resolve the problem. Thank you but i wont be deleting my acquaintances just for this reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

pirelli wrote: »
    So you would delete a friend if you they were racist...likely maliciously so rather than humourlessly.

If someone was blatantly racist I would delete them yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Guill

Hi OP, I didn't read your post but like you I delete all black people from my facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

when they put ".com" at the end of a status

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

I'd love to let rip on Facebook, but I think people will mistake what is clearly unbelievable hilarity, as being a Cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I have good mates who I see nearly everyday, ban me from their facebook.

One guy is Austrian, and I kept posting funny Hitler related stuff on his wall, he asked me to stop, I didnt, BOOM banned.

facebook friending and defriending is blown hugely out of proportion.

I have good mates who I see nearly everyday, ban me from their facebook.

One guy is Austrian, and I kept posting funny Hitler related stuff on his wall, he asked me to stop, I didnt, BOOM banned.

facebook friending and defriending is blown hugely out of proportion.

I suppose some people you barely know friend you so easily and also kick you so easily. You wouldn't want to take some of them seriously.

Advertisement