Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heaters: 2 smaller vs 1 larger

Options
  • 13-02-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering is there any benefit in having say 2 x 150w heaters over one 250-300w one, it's a 220l tank.

Apart from the chance of failure where the other can struggle on and keep the water warmer for longer and possible a more balanced heating if they are kept on opposite ends of the tank is there any reason to go for 2 over 1 or any reasons not to?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi,

Just wondering is there any benefit in having say 2 x 150w heaters over one 250-300w one, it's a 220l tank.

Apart from the chance of failure where the other can struggle on and keep the water warmer for longer and possible a more balanced heating if they are kept on opposite ends of the tank is there any reason to go for 2 over 1 or any reasons not to?

You just answered your own question there.:)

2 heaters (opposite ends) and an intank thermometer stuck to the inside front of the tank glass....for very obvious reasons

1 watt of every 1 litre of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Thanks Paddy, I'm just wondering if there's any reason not to do it that I can't think of apart from a slight power usage increase...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thanks Paddy, I'm just wondering if there's any reason not to do it that I can't think of apart from a slight power usage increase...

Well for all my setup,the average leccy useage is 16 euro a month.

Heaters do fail (its happened to me with an Eheim heater) and thats why 2 is allways better than 1.I have 2 x 300 watt Elite heaters in the 500 litre Discuss tank.

Oh and a manual/normal thermometer that you can easily see/read in the the tank too.Piece of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

2 is better than 1 always!

fungun wrote: »
    2 is better than 1 always!
    that's what she said!
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

The reason why 2 small heaters is better than one is that if the heater fails, it may fail at the thermostat and stick on full instead of fail at the coil and stay off. If this happens with a 300 watt heater you will boil your fish. If you have one 100 watt heater stuck on, it will not get as hot and the thermostat in the other heater will detect the water too hot and not come on at all and give you more chance of noticing the temperature

I picked up 2 x 150w Fluvals yesterday, plenty of wattage to cope with my 220l (only 200ish when sand etc added I would guess)

Filter is hooked up, substrate is layed to a depth of about 5cm, water is in and being allowed to settle. Just need heaters now and can switch on the filter and get going. They should turn up in a day or two. :)

Advertisement