Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am i chancing my arm

Options
  • 13-02-2012 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

hello all

i am planning to go back to aus at the short future.i have been there for a year in 09 and loved it.am workin in europe at the moment on contract work so will keep at it till it runs out.now im a plumber/pipefitter by trade and have my papers.im 31 this may so a skilled migrant visa looks my best option.this thou can cost 4-5 thousand.if i could get sponsored it would be all the better but hard got when the company doesnt know you

rite so had a chat with a guy at work today.he is gonna go back too on a 3 month visa(holiday) and ask all the companys to give hime a few weeks work(non payment) trial etc.if there happy then can then go to sponsor him

he said if it doesnt work he said atleast he will have had a good holiday

wat ye think

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I think he is breaking the law and if discovered will be deported. Plus employers that sponsor are the type to check your current working visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can't work in a normal job while on a tourist visa, even if you aren't getting paid.
    (volunteer work is permitted, but only genuine volunteer positions).

Plus you can't apply to a sponsorship or PR visa if you are on a holiday visa. you'd still have to leave the country

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gazmc18

Mellor wrote: »
    You can't work in a normal job while on a tourist visa, even if you aren't getting paid.
    (volunteer work is permitted, but only genuine volunteer positions).

Plus you can't apply to a sponsorship or PR visa if you are on a holiday visa. you'd still have to leave the country
    You would not necessarily have to leave the country.only if your tourist visa has a condition stating you cannot apply for another visa otherwise you would not have to leave.
    Edit,i was also meant to say it is illegal what you are thinking of doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

Sounds dodgy to me, i'd steer well clear of this craic

gazmc18 wrote: »
    You would not necessarily have to leave the country.only if your tourist visa has a condition stating you cannot apply for another visa otherwise you would not have to leave.
    Edit,i was also meant to say it is illegal what you are thinking of doing.

That condition would prevent you applying for another visa. But even if you didn't have that condition, you wouldn't be granted a bridging visa if on a holiday visa so you'd still have to leave when it expired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

An applicant seeking to overstay their visitor visa or to remain in Australia on a subsequent visa is not
    considered a genuine visitor.

http://www.immi.gov.au/gateways/agents/pdf/subclass-457-visitors.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Johnboat

<Snip> no illegal work advice

I know of 3 people you have been sponsored on tourist visa and didn't not have to leave the country, they were put on bridging visas first because of time was running out on there visas

Johnboat wrote: »

I know of 3 people you have been sponsored on tourist visa and didn't not have to leave the country, they were put on bridging visas first because of time was running out on there visas

skepticalhippo%201.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Johnboat

Mellor wrote: »

skepticalhippo%201.jpg

It may sound skeptical to you but it's a fact I worked with 3guys who are sponsored off tourists visa
    Just giving friendly advice I won't bother next time

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

It may sound skeptical to you but it's a fact I worked with 3guys who are sponsored off tourists visa

Same here, what ever works man once your here to work visas are a lot of red tape like getting sponsored on 457 but cant work a second job and pay tax on it, bit silly really once it dosent affect your main job.
    What if your circumstances change, partner gets sick, baby etc....

Id go for it whats the worst can happen your shipped back home, sure at least you tried, yes and the black mark against your name for being deported but how many other countries actually look into this. I no a few lads with proper criminal records and said nothing and got into the States and Oz.
    A lot more than some others at home talking forever bout coming over but never doing it.

• Advertisement

A holiday visa, or a tourist visa. Pretty big difference.

I had to jump through some hoops for work permission on my bridging visa when I overstayed a WHV. I'm not saying its impossible to get a BV from a tourist visa, i'm saying its by no means a given.

Advertisement