Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delgany Inn

Options
  • 13-02-2012 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭

Hearing rumours that Delgany Inn has been sold, with plans for a restaurant and a market garden in the car park. Anyone know any more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

That's great news. I have noticed some work going on there in the gardens to the side of it.
    Daft also has it listed as Sale agreed http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=485334

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

There was a lot of activity outside it there a while back - loads of cars and quite a few folk walking around it.

Hopefully this is true - shame to see her looking so run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Zelkova

It would be good to see something done with it before the kids burn it down. Though the pessimist in me thinks they would be hard pressed to make a restaurant work there, giving how the wicklow arms has failed twice in more benevolent times and looking at how quiet that pub is most of the time.
    What the hell is a market garden, BTW?
    It's a shame the Delgany Inn looks so run down? Isn't it a greater shame how the developers have run most of Delgany down, over the last decade. I haven't come across a village more scarred by ugly, pretentious celtic tiger development and greed.
    It was once one the most lovely places, but that was before the gold rush and before all it's charms were crushed under the ensuing stampede of Range Rover vogues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

As someone who was actually born (a long time ago) in the Health Centre beside the Delgany Inn, I understand your sentiments about Delgany Village but please tell me what is the answer to what you say re the new residents and their BIG vehicles and new mansions ruining Delgany. Where are these people supposed to live ? Progress as we call it always ruins some part of the past.
    What amazes me is that Delgany could support 3 pubs for years when the population was a lot smaller in number than it is now. And the same goes for Greystones who used to have lots of hotels and they all made a living. Maybe there were more tourists then. I agree it is a shame to see these premises so run down but if they were viable as a business I am sure they would still be open for business.

Gawd - wish I had a Range Rover - might have made it back up the hill last year in the snow instead of having to hoof it.

Garden market I think is a lovely idea - not sure about enough parking there unless maybe they work something out with the Wicklow Arms - but just imagine popping down for a coffee outside while browsing stalls selling fudge or other locally produced goods...

• Advertisement

I think a garden market is a small garden where fruit and veg is grown to be sold, probably in this case to be sold in meal form from the restraunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I was told today that a farmer's group has bought it and are setting up an outlet similar to Avoca Handweavers. Hopefully thats true.

That would be brilliant if true - will keep my fingers crossed.

Taltos wrote: »
    That would be brilliant if true - will keep my fingers crossed.

Will be brilliant if the prices are not the same as avoca.

Hopefully some competition will push them the right direction - glass half full here - lets not consider anything else right now... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

That all sounds lovely and would be a welcome addition.

It would be great to see some life in the area.

Advertisement