Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet on Sony TV

Options
  • 13-02-2012 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I have a Sony TV Model KDL40EX503. I purchased a Sony USB adaptor UWA-BR100 to connect the TV by WiFi to the internet. I have a Netgear router DG834G which has WPA-PSK security key. My router is separated from the TV by a distance of 18 metres and by two intervening concrete walls.
    I carried out the instructions on the TV screen to set-up the internet connection. Unfortunately I was not successful in getting the connection to work. I may have made some error in carrying out the set-up on the TV which is preventing access. However I notice that the signal strength of the WiFi on the TV is only showing 3 bars. Is the distance from the TV to the router causing the problem or is my set-up incorrect.?
    Has anyone had success in using the Sony UWA-BR100 adapter in a similar situation?
    Any information would be most helpful.
    Pensioner Pete

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Try ,step-by-step and each on his own "patience" to connect to your router using no encryption,then with encryption.

My Panasonic has a diagnostic section that tells me where is the problem,if connection fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

<snip>
    My router is separated from the TV by a distance of 18 metres and by two intervening concrete walls.
    <snip>

Concrete walls are pretty good at blocking WLAN signals. Can you test with the TV in line-of-sight of the router? Get it working without the walls in the way first, then experiment from there ...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Pensioner Pete

Hi Rolion & Swampgas

Many thanks for your replies. I had tried relocating the router in sight of the TV(just a few feet). Signal strenght increased from 2 bars to 5 bars so definitely the two walls and distance are hindering the signal. But I still could not gain access to the internet. I have an Ipad and I can access the router with it from right beside the TV. Yet I dont have access to the router from the TV.I wonder if my router (Netgear DG834G) is old and incompatible with the new Sony technology .However I should say that the router works very well with my desktop, laptop and Ipad.
    It looks like there may be a compatability problem between the TV and the router. I am using WPA-PSK security on the router and I have used the same encryption in setting up the TV. I will try to access the router without encryption and see what happens. Fingers crossed.!
    Thanks again for your suggestions.

Pensioner Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

My bluray player with w/less adapter would not connect to my netopia 2247 modem, tried it with encryption off etc but no joy. Anyway decided to upgrade modem & bought 'N' type, connected first time no problem, maybe these type of adapter don't mate well with 'G' modem/routers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I assume the internet works on the iPad? Does the TV get an IP address?

• Advertisement
Advertisement