Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA Photography timetable ?

Options
  • 13-02-2012 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hi guys ,

Could anyone give me an idea of what the photography timetable is like at DIT ? I've managed to get on the timetable website , but it's confusing me a little as there seems to be quite a few days of students being in college until 8.30 at night ??? Any info on the course ,quality of lectures, facilities, etc appreciated :-)
    Also is there much difference between this course and iadt's one ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

Temple Bar stays open till 8.30pm Mon-Thur (closes at 4.30 on Friday) so students can use the Mac labs and darkroom. Classes don't run that late.

The time table for last semester (first year)
    Monday 9.30-12.30 Visual Studies (Temple Bar)
    Monday 2-4 Photo practice/Lecture (Aungier St)
    Tuesday 2-4 Visual Studies/Lecture (Mountjoy Sq)
    Wednesday Photographic Practice (Lecture in Aungier St or out photographing)
    Thursday 2-4 Study & Learning Skills/Lecture (Aungier St)
    Friday 9.30-3.30 Photographic Practice (Class split into groups, class only lasted 2 hours, not the whole day)

Semester 2
    Monday 9.30-12.30 Visual Studies (Temple Bar)
    Monday 2-5 Photographic Practice/lecture (Aungier St)
    Tuesday 11-1 Visual Studies/lecture (Mountjoy Sq)
    Wednesday 9.30-12.30 Studio (Medium Format) (Temple Bar)
    Wednesday 1.30-4.30 Darkroom (Temple Bar)
    Thursday 1-3 Digital Production (Aungier St)
    Friday 9.30-12.30 Studio/lecture (Temple Bar)
    Friday 1.30-4.30 Studio (Temple Bar)

We don't have that many class hours but we do have a lot of research for visual studies (group presentations) and other course work to get done.
    I have no idea how it compares to IADT.
    Course is heavy on the theory, facilities are pretty good, its a small group (30) so everybody gets along.
    Anything else you need to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Thanks for that in-depth reply annex , a real help ! I was thinking 8.30 in the evenings was a bit late for lectures ! So not a huge amount of contact time but lots of research and assignment work to get done .
    Had a tour there, I quite like that it's small , I'd imagine everyone gets to know each other quite well (lecturer's included )!

I love TB, its just us photographers so we can have the craic with each other :D
    its a nice wee building.

The workload is tough, i'm not going to lie :rolleyes: a lot of hours are needed to get your work done, social life is well and truly dead and will be for the rest of the semester. Visual Studies is the subject we put most work into as lots of writing and research is involved.
    On the up side, we don't have exams, its all continuous assessment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

I had heard it was about 50% theory - yikes - not sure how I'd cope with that. Would you say your timetable will be similar hours over the next couple of years ? Are there no exams at all during the degree ? That would be brilliant !!

We are hoping that the amount of theory will change, not sure how the other years are, but would think it could be the same.
    We are only starting medium format so once we get into the the practical will even it out some (we are the first class to start off first semester with digital)

Nope, no exams. Over Christmas we had two written assignments, one was due on the open day last month so you probably saw some of us frantically in printing it off/handing it in :D
    We also had a photo assignment (self portraiture) which was fun to do.
    We get assignments during semester that we are marked on, we had several photo ones, some presentations, a couple of essay's/summary's and a few smaller bits & bobs, less pressure that way I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement