Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep dog

• 13-02-2012 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all i got a sheep dog pup thats about 3 months old and i was looking for some advice on training him general obedience and things like that

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

at this stage just let him get to know you, lie down and coming back to you, my opinion is don't push them too hard too early...every dog is different though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

dog's are like children, need love attention and most of all, need to know who's boss, they should respect you but not fear you, at this stage get them used to a lead, try not to discipline them while at your feet, this is meant to be a safe place to where they come back to to get rewarded, don't do too much at one time,
    when the dog is walking well on the lead start on the stop command, this way you have control at all times, again don't do too much, keep it fun for the dog, keep showing the dog the sheep so it know's what it's looking for, a dog doing what it's told is noo good if it has no natural ability,
    this is only my view and there is always other's who's view's differ, it's up to you to find what work's for you and you'r dog,
    it can be 18month's before a dog is working well and 3yr's before it's at full potential, i have a dog and he was 3yr when i got him, he's now 5 and only now is he at his best with me, that's not to say that someone else chould have done better,
    some men will get more out of a dog and quicker than others. have often been told about a dog (dog 1) than one man (mr A) was beat with, and when sold the new owner (mr B) was able to do things nobody thought could be done with, and then when mr B was beat with another dog (dog 2), mr A took it and done miracle's with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

Eamon Egan works for Teagasc and does a very good course on sheep dog training. He does the courses in different parts of the country, and he works in Teagasc Roscommon. You bring your pup along to the course one day every two weeks over a period of time. He will guide you trough all the training techniques and will help with any issues particular to your own dog. This is very worth while and you will only need to do it once. Once you train one dog you will be able to train dogs for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

yeah now is just the time to get dog used to you and the farm. bring him with you when your going up the fields so he get used to the farm and knows where he can go and not go also good for him to get used to the fence they usually run into it with their tails up so will think twice about going that way again so if he gets a whack bring him along again and hold up the fence so he gets to figure out what to do next time he sees it. if you have cattle walk him through the herd so he gets used to them and them to him if he is wary coak him along next to you.

the key thing for him to learn is if he goes that he must come back when you call. that he is only allow to chase when you say and must stop when you say. a good dog is brave but not aggressive

sheep dogs are very clever but need to be worked, you'll be suprised how much they know already and can do natrually. we have had a few great ones. we had one that that would bring in the cows by himself and knew which ones to leave behind, we would just stand at the gap to the field and he would do his thing, the cows also knew they had to come in when he was around too. made a huge difference at milking time or when we needed to bring them in.

the fella we have now is also a good dog, we have one of his pups left and she watches everything he does and has started to copy him when he is herding the cattle. too sure if we'll be able to keep her though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

• Advertisement
Advertisement