Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hdip madness

• 13-02-2012 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Is it just me or does anyone else agree that the increase in places on hdip courses is just a money spinning excersise for the colleges involved.As someone who has experience of the education system in ireland,i dont think students are well informed on their job prospects once qualified.Training to be a teacher in ireland at the moment is a bit like training to be a brick layer.The jobs simply do not exist in ireland.You WILL end up having to leave the country to find work.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I guess you are talking about Secondary Teaching dips/PDGEs/PDEs?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Some people are lured in by the idea that it is a handy number, suren't are teachers raking in the cash and they only work half the year:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pjfogarty

dambarude wrote: »
    I guess you are talking about Secondary Teaching dips/PDGEs/PDEs?

yep

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

pjfogarty wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else agree that the increase in places on hdip courses is just a money spinning excersise for the colleges involved.As someone who has experience of the education system in ireland,i dont think students are well informed on their job prospects once qualified.Training to be a teacher in ireland at the moment is a bit like training to be a brick layer.The jobs simply do not exist in ireland.You WILL end up having to leave the country to find work.

Well anyone who reads the papers should know that. It's not up to colleges to be our minders. Hibernia and the like want to make money, end of. People need to look out for themselves tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Unfortunately this is going to happen. I have seen Hibernia advertise in the papers lately. I've rarely seen this before so I wonder if the numbers applying have reduced. It's hard to know.
    A lot of people still want to be teachers. Obviously people are attracted to the holidays and think it is a good secure job. I think a lot hear or read news that the education sector is a growing employment sector. They don't know the full story. There are simply too many teachers coming out of the colleges, plus over the last 4/5 years you had another huge glut of teachers training in the UK. No regard was given for the amount of teachers that was actually needed. A lot of people are paying big money for the college courses and when they come out they face a hugely reduced salary. From the INTO website the starting salary would be €27,814. Some may say that isn't too bad and maybe it isn't but after potentially 6 years in college you'll be wondering why people with less qualifications are getting better pay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a growing employment sector because where previously there were hours for one person (full-time) they now split into two or more 'contracts' and give two or more people a crappy amount of hours that keeps them hanging about the school desperate for the odd deputy class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭rothai

What about maths? I thought there was a shortage of qualified maths teachers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

rothai wrote: »

Not anymore. Loads of maths teachers out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

TheBody wrote: »
    Not anymore. Loads of maths teachers out there.

There are definitely still jobs for Higher level leaving cert maths teachers. the problem is that few maths teachers are actually able to teach to that standard. Irish and other language teachers also still seem to be in demand.

Two school principals told me in the last few months that good hons Irish and hons Maths teachers are still in very short supply.

English/History/Business/Accounting...way too many teachers!

closifer wrote: »
    There are definitely still jobs for Higher level leaving cert maths teachers. the problem is that few maths teachers are actually able to teach to that standard. Irish and other language teachers also still seem to be in demand.

Two school principals told me in the last few months that good hons Irish and hons Maths teachers are still in very short supply.

English/History/Business/Accounting...way too many teachers!

Yes, I will agree with you there. The current higher level leaving cert maths teacher in my school went on sick leave last November. We are on sub teacher number 4 and she is brutal too. Spends the whole day asking me how to do problems. All the subs have been "qualified" maths teachers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

There's a misconception there. There are intermittent substitution positions in maths and a good maths sub is gold dust but permanent/Rpt contracts are extremely hard come by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I agree with other posters, very difficult to find maths, Irish, French, home ec teachers.
    maths is very hard to find except people who a) did one module in 1st yr b) not a qualified teacher c) don't have a clue anyways.
    sick of advertising for qualified maths teachers with a teaching council no. And getting people applying who are unsuitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

TheDriver wrote: »

I agree with other posters, very difficult to find maths, Irish, French, home ec teachers.
    maths is very hard to find except people who a) did one module in 1st yr b) not a qualified teacher c) don't have a clue anyways.
    sick of advertising for qualified maths teachers with a teaching council no. And getting people applying who are unsuitable.

If there's a permanent post/full time post going I'll have it! I'm fully qualified in maths 1:1 degree and PGDE, a in teaching practice, two years full time maths experience and despite that I got one interview last summer out of all the applications I sent. LuckIly I got it but it isn't full hours, they are few and far between

On second thoughts is the shortage regional? I applied across Dublin/Kildare/north Wicklow etc last summer

I think when it comes to maths, there is somewhat a vicious circle. Poor standard of maths graduates (FAR too easy to get a "good degree" and not really have a clue). They go on to be poor teachers simply because they do not have stong enough maths capabilites. We then have students going to college with a poor standard of maths. Seems like a race to the bottom to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Some people are lured in by the idea that it is a handy number, suren't are teachers raking in the cash and they only work half the year:rolleyes:

still very much the perception out there. you are on the the full 22 hours and permanent from once you start as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Not to mention people quoting pre-cut salaries...

Not to mention people quoting pre-cut salaries...

My God, that drives me NUTS!!

Advertisement