Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worlds fattest man, who's feeding him?

• 13-02-2012 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Extract:
    A Briton who devours eight hotdogs for breakfast has won the dubious accolade of being named the world’s fattest man.
    Keith Martin, 42, tips the scales at 58 stone, and is so large that he is bed-ridden.
    His needs are putting an extra drain on NHS resources and costing the taxpayer thousands of pounds as he requires an army of 18 medical professionals to look after him, including ambulance staff, carers and nurses.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2100052/Worlds-fattest-man-Keith-Martin-lives-London-58-stone.html#ixzz1mIWKRtes

The article above popped up on Digg about the worlds fattest man. It got me thinking though, this guy is bedridden, why are the people around him giving him such a massive amount of food? I mean he can't go to the kitchen himself, he can't shop for himself, why isn't he handed a bowl of special K with skimmed milk for his breakfast, if he wants more he can have more just as soon as he can make it to the shops himself!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Maybe because there is no law to stop someone eating what they want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

djk1000 wrote: »
    Extract:

The article above popped up on Digg about the worlds fattest man. It got me thinking though, this guy is bedridden, why are the people around him giving him such a massive amount of food? I mean he can't go to the kitchen himself, he can't shop for himself, why isn't he handed a bowl of special K with skimmed milk for his breakfast, if he wants more he can have more just as soon as he can make it to the shops himself!

Harneys fattenin him up for christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

I'm guessing his mammy or tax payers are feeding him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

cosanostra wrote: »
    Yeah but its not as if he has a choice, eat what your given or dont eat. Of course he probably has a winge and whoever (hi mum probably) runs up with 8 hotdogs for his breakfast (puke)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

There's always a feeder. ALWAYS.

And someone to mop the sweaty gear out from between the skin folds.

Who wants to play the feeder game!!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭William_Hicley

Maybe its because he wants to be the greatest?

Follow your dreams, you can meet your goals, I am living proof.
    Beefcake.... BEEFCAKE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Helium

is he not just in training for sumo wrestling at olympics later this year?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Special K has loads of sugar in it. Skimmed milk is used to fatten up cows. If most people ate the same diet as this guy does they wouldn't be able to get to the same weight as him. That guy has a large number of problems however they won't be solved by a bowl of special poxy k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Sky King wrote: »
    There's always a feeder. ALWAYS.
    That's actually a real thing. I know an Australian-Mexican woman married to a doctor who confessed to me that she was a "feeder", literally fed her husband too much to make him unattractive to other women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

djk1000 wrote: »
    Extract:

From a medical standpoint, it seems like it would make more sense to put him in some kind of clinic where his diet can be monitored, but then I guess you get into issues of consent. At some point, should the NHS put their foot down and say they are going to put him in residential treatment or he is on his own? Would that even be legal (or moral)? Because I don't really see what the alternative is here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Eight hotdogs for breakfast...

This man is my hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Helium wrote: »
    is he not just in training for sumo wrestling at olympics later this year?

You actually have to be able to fit into the ring though to be eligible to compete.

:rolleyes:

Are we even sure he is the worlds fattest man.

Come on people lets not jump to conclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Sindri wrote: »
    You actually have to be able to fit into the ring though to be eligible to compete.

Not his fault the rings are too small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Big line of dirty speed every mornin, he won't want breakfast or lunch.
    He might force down a bowl of complan in the evening
    He will be ready to be strapped to a treadmill in 2 months.

But they don't have a ring in sumo do they? Isn't it just 2 fellas in big huggies on the floor pushing each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Are we even sure he is the worlds fattest man.

Come on people lets not jump to conclusions.

That's not nice, Big Boy could hardly be able to jump.

But they don't have a ring in sumo do they? Isn't it just 2 fellas in big huggies on the floor pushing each other

They have a circle, that's why I called it a ring, and if you leave that circle, whether of your own volition or not, you lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Maybe its because he wants to be the greatest?

Follow your dreams, you can meet your goals, I am living proof.
    Beefcake.... BEEFCAKE!
    ahhh fondly remember that episode.:pac:

to the users wondering why he is being brought the food,unless he is tested as having a limited or total lack of mental capacity-which woud affect the way he is able to make suitable decisions for himself,then he is allowed to make these choices.

it is possible relatives may be thinking feeding him all this stuff equals showing their care.
    it looks like he is stuck in a never ending bad cycle-he has used binge eating as a coping tool with the problems in his life [his mum for one],he is at a point where he cant do anything that makes enough of a difference towards his size-so this is probably making him binge eat to cope.
    he needs to see a pyschologist to work on his head stuff and help him develop other coping skills, its a bit pointless to only work on getting rid of the fat as its just putting a mask on his problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Sumo wrestlers have subcutaneous fat and generally little visceral fat.

This guy would have loads of visceral fat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

They have a circle, that's why I called it a ring, and if you leave that circle, whether of your own volition or not, you lose.

If he stands in the middle of the ring and his fat stretches outside, does he instantly lose?

But if his opponent, as a result, can't even enter the ring, does he instantly lose?

Does the fat-man simultaneously win and lose?

Is is possible to control that? Or are they just genetically suitable for Sumo-wrestling?

Seachmall wrote: »
    If he stands in the middle of the ring and his fat stretches outside, does he instantly lose?

But if his opponent, as a result, can't even enter the ring, does he instantly lose?

Does the fat-man simultaneously win and lose?

Is is possible to control that? Or are they just genetically suitable for Sumo-wrestling?

That is a question for a greater man than I.

Confucius.

Confucius say:
    Confucius wrote:
    Fat man always lose because he get no poontang

Ah the wisdom of Confucius. Always insightful.

Wow them is some big words!

Anyway lets cheer him on for the Gold Medal....... Dennys that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

From a medical standpoint, it seems like it would make more sense to put him in some kind of clinic where his diet can be monitored, but then I guess you get into issues of consent. At some point, should the NHS put their foot down and say they are going to put him in residential treatment or he is on his own? Would that even be legal (or moral)? Because I don't really see what the alternative is here.
    Well a person with mental problems who is considered a danger to themselves can be sectioned, I'd say this guy fits the bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

He doesn't actually weigh 58 stone. There is a small child lost in one of his folds. The child is surviving on the leftover food that doesn't quite make it into the mans mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Seachmall wrote: »

Through their training program and nutrition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

cosanostra wrote: »
    The OP didn't question that though, rather who's bringing him the food despite what it's doing to him. He can't access it himself. My guess is: like any addict, he gets distressed if he doesn't get his fix, and it's easier for whoever is living with him to just pander. Not excusing it, but just speculating as to why such damaging habits are being indulged.
    Although if there are medical professionals monitoring him, I wonder why a stop isn't being put to it by them? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

He probably eats more than a poor village in Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭trashcan

Scruffles wrote: »
    to the users wondering why he is being brought the food,unless he is tested as having a limited or total lack of mental capacity-which woud affect the way he is able to make suitable decisions for himself,then he is allowed to make these choices.

it is possible relatives may be thinking feeding him all this stuff equals showing their care.

I've always wondered the same about massive overweight people, unable to move from their bedrooms. You say he is allowed to make his own choices, fair enough, that's not in dispute. But since he is unable to follow up his choice by actually preparing his own food then someone else is making the choice to feed him these amounts. They could, and should, say no. I take your point about relatives possibly thinking they are showing they care, but really they are aiding someone to eat themselves to death. I'd like to think if it was a relative of mine I would refuse to feed them in that manner.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 dapartement

He should get a job from home. Something that only involves pressing 'y' , 'tab' and the 'any key'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

If most people ate the same diet as this guy does they wouldn't be able to get to the same weight as him. That guy has a large number of problems however they won't be solved by a bowl of special poxy k.

Cutting out 8 hotdogs for Breakfast and replacing it with cereal would a good start to turning his life around.

Regardless of his metabolism, he is eating an obscene amount of calories.

cereal is junk, couple of eggs would be better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

He should get a job from home. Something that only involves pressing 'y' , 'tab' and the 'any key'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I saw a documentary once about an obese woman in Scotland who was bedridden. Her carer arrived at 9am and left at 5pm, as soon as the nurse left she was on the phone to the local chinese or take away and the delivery guys would walk in the flat and go into your ones bedroom and she would pay them from her purse on the locker. As she said herself all she needed was her mobile phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If the feeder had to deal with the product at the other end they might think twice on what they feed him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Skid wrote: »
    If most people ate the same diet as this guy does they wouldn't be able to get to the same weight as him. That guy has a large number of problems however they won't be solved by a bowl of special poxy k.

Cutting out 8 hotdogs for Breakfast and replacing it with cereal would a good start to turning his life around.

Regardless of his metabolism, he is eating an obscene amount of calories.
    Yeah Special K is muck but it's better than what his current breakfast is - and far lower in calories. Reducing calories drastically is where he needs to start. Finely tuning his diet can follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I heard he ate a baby :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

mikeym wrote: »
    I heard he ate a baby :D

I heard he went to a restaurant and he ate everything in the restaurant and they had to close the restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Poor guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah Special K is muck but it's better than what his current breakfast is - and far lower in calories. Reducing calories drastically is where he needs to start. Finely tuning his diet can follow.

Actually, people hate change, are weak and very lazy. Might as well get it right from the get go rather than having to drag their ass through a staggered group of changes and alterations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I saw a documentary before about a very fat man whose wife was a blimp as well, but she was thin in comparison to him. She used to get him a family bucket in KFC every day. I will never forget seeing his massive underpants in the bed covering in his own excrement. It was horrendous seeing a human being with no self esteem or pride anymore. I think I'd rather be dead than stoop to that level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Expect to see a TV3 documentary about him soon.

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I saw a documentary before about a very fat man whose wife was a blimp as well, but she was thin in comparison to him. She used to get him a family bucket in KFC every day. I will never forget seeing his massive underpants in the bed covering in his own excrement. It was horrendous seeing a human being with no self esteem or pride anymore. I think I'd rather be dead than stoop to that level

You post on an internet forum under the pseudonym Ally Dick.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

nomnomnom, he looks tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

To be honest though I blame the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

dlofnep wrote: »

That gets posted a lot on here and i always kind of think Ricky looks a bit fat in it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

I wonder how heavy is Irelands fattest man/person? We surely have some world class fattys at this stage?

Might be a nice little project for one of our thousands of unemployed lard asses to go the extra mile and put us back on the map.

A metaphorical mile of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

To be honest though I blame the parents.

Yeah shame on his mother for dying on him when he was 16, how inconsiderate :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Why are the medical staff standing by and allowing someone to feed him crap? It defeats the purpose of them being there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement