Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Scan - Help Please

Options
  • 13-02-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

My wife is seven weeks pregnant and we've chosen to go semi-private at Holles St but when she called the clinic she was given a date for a scan near the end of April which would make her over 17 weeks and she's seriously worried about this. We had enquired with the private clinics and she was given dates in mid March which would make it 12-13 weeks which is more normal.

When should you have a first scan?
    Is paying €4k the only way of getting a scan at the normal time

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

We just had a private scan in Mount Carmel last week - I was only 8 weeks but did it for peace of mind mostly! :)

It cost 95 euro, and was a lovely experience, the nurses there were fab!

I'm also with Holles St and only was offered a scan at 21 weeks. I might organise another private scan at 12/13 weeks just to see how things are progressing :)

Best of luck and congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I was 19 weeks today and my booking appt for the hosp with what should be my first scan is tomorrow (I've had a few already because I've had other problems).

You can pay for a private scan at clinics before hand: they cost somewhere between €100 and €180 as far as I know. Alot of the hosps around the country aren't scanning untill that stage unfortunately at the moment: later scans and one per preganancy is what is "normal" here.

Your best bet for peace of mind is a private scan just to put both of your minds at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Thanks a million for the replies, they're much appreciated and the stress level has just dropped in the house!

I think she wants a 12-13 week scan mainly for peace of mind but also so she can produce a scan when she tells the girls.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

In Holles st semi private often the obstetrican will scan you but this is not the same as the "big" anomaly scan which is an appointment that you make separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I got a quick scan in Holles street public at about 14 weeks for each of my pregnancies. It was to confirm the size of the pregnancy sac and heartbeat etc. This was followed by my big scan at 20/22 weeks. However I did get early scans (privately) at ten weeks with each pregnancy for our own reasons - lots of twins in the family and we wanted to tell some family before they emigrated so wanted to ensure all was ok. I also got another private 3d scan on my first pregnancy at 32 weeks which was just amazing - well worth it if you can afford it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Zombot

I had a scan at 13 weeks, wont be having my second scan until 31 weeks. It seems it differs greatly from one hospital to the next...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

greenflash wrote: »
    My wife is seven weeks pregnant and we've chosen to go semi-private at Holles St but when she called the clinic she was given a date for a scan near the end of April which would make her over 17 weeks and she's seriously worried about this. We had enquired with the private clinics and she was given dates in mid March which would make it 12-13 weeks which is more normal.

When should you have a first scan?
    Is paying €4k the only way of getting a scan at the normal time

Thanks

I think that's the anomoly scan they're talking about? When you go to your first appointment in the Semi Private Clinic there will be a monitor in the room and they will use it to check for heartbeat etc. All first appointments in the semi private clinic get the room with the scanning equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I didn't have my first scan till 14 weeks if you want anything earlier you need to go private which is what we did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

I had my first scan at 12 weeks (first trimester screening) paid privately for this, then the routine first scan at 14 weeks, followed by the 20 week anomoly scan and another towards the end of my pregnancy to check positioning etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I was first scanned in Holles st at 20 weeks.
    I got a dating scan done privately myself to have a more accurate idea of dates, and while the hospital were unconcerned with this, I wanted to have *some* idea of when I was due! :rolleyes:

Some hospitals scan early, some do 20 week scan, some don't...
    Acutally, it doesn't even depend on the hospital, it varies from doctor to doctor as well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

On my first pregnancy I went public in the Rotunda and had my first scan at 19 weeks, I was a bit anxious waiting so long but I had no problems and felt very well so I wasn't too worried.
    I am also 7 weeks pregnant now and have my first scan in the Rotunda at 13 weeks (also public). I am surprised that going semi private you have to wait so long but I am sure everything will be fine and she shouldn't worry.

Advertisement