Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fitting glass in door

• 13-02-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

hi i've a wooden six panel door, i was wondering would it be a big job to replace two of the top wooden panels with glass to let more light into the hall. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

avfc1874 wrote: »
    hi i've a wooden six panel door, i was wondering would it be a big job to replace two of the top wooden panels with glass to let more light into the hall. thanks

Hi if the door is solid then it's not a big job.

I did this to a 6 panel hardwood exterior door.

Drilled a hole through the corners of the panels and used a jigsaw to cut the panels out flush with the main timbers surrounding the panel

I then bought some hardwood glazing beads and cut and mitred them to the size needed and panel pinned them in place all around each opening to form a rebate for the glass to fit against. I used patterned 4mm glass and fitted it using putty and then used glazing beads on the inside the same as the outside to finish. I then painted or stained the glazing beads to match the door.

My panes were square at the top of the door and were small and so didnt need safety glass, but consult a glazier if they are oblong. Be aware that a burglar could break the glass to undo a yale type lock if no mortice lock.

If you don't mind clear glass consider 6.4mm laminated glass. This is excellent and holds together well if a burglar trys to smash it:D If using laminated glass use glazing silicone to fit it and not putty.

It took me about 3-4 hours to do this job. It would be a simple job for a carpenter.

Stove Fan:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

avfc1874 wrote: »

Why dont you sell the wood paneled door and buy a glass paneled door instaed.

Thats what I did with an interior door,well Im still trying to sell the glass paneled door.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭avfc1874

thanks. i was thinking of giving it a go its just the two small square panels at the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

You could router out the panels by routing out the bead that is part of the frame. Then just get the same size solid quadrant to fix the glass in.

Advertisement