Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor IP camera over WiFI

Options
  • 13-02-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all,
    I need to install a camera which is ~200m (Line-of-sight) away from my house where I wan't to view the picture using a smartphone.
    The problem is that I don't have any power at the location where I need the camera. The picture from the camera doesn't have to be high quality, I just need it to see if cars are coming.

I was looking at the following options:

1. Install Outdoor IP camera + solar panel + battery bundle that uses a web-server connected to internet via Wi-Fi
    I have found this one: http://www.solcam.co.uk
    The problem here is that I am using a Vodafone 3G modem connected to DOVADO wireless router and once I go outside my front door, I loose connection to Wi-Fi.
    Are there any high-gain antenna solutions available that would boost the Wi-Fi enough to make this a viable solution?
    I have also checked with Vodafone and they assured me that I could get static ip address that could be used with the IP camera

2. Install outdoor camera along with a transmitter and then have a receiver at the house
    This one has 1500m line-of-sight transmission:
    http://www.equicom.ie/long-range-wireless-calving-camera-835-p.asp
    The problem here is that I don't have power where I need the camera/transmitter - maybe I could source a solar panel + battery kit that would run the camera and transmitter. If anyone out there has already done something like this, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

3. Same as Option 2 but run power up to camera/transmitter via armoured underground cable
    The problem here is the cost and hassle of running armoured cable up to the camera on some land that I don't own - I also need to cut lane-way to get cable to correct side of lane where I intend to put the camera

If anyone could help with any of these options or suggest a good alternative, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisement