Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netopia router behaving strangely (when trying to connect via wireless)

Options
  • 13-02-2012 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

Have been using one of those eircon branded netopia routers for some months now without issue. Since last night, it started behaving very erratically. Basically, I couldn't connect wirelessly to the router. Either the SSID was listed and when I tried to connect - no dice. At other times, it wasn't even displaying the SSID on the list of possible connections. Powered router down/up on a couple of occassions. It seemed to function once more after an hour of pfaffing about. Then this morning, exactly the same scenario. Had been using it without issue for a couple of hours - and the same problem strikes.

Has anyone any insight into what the possible cause is here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Click "Start", type in "cmd" into the search box, when you have that open type in "ipconfig reset" and hit enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

chops018 wrote: »
    Click "Start", type in "cmd" into the search box, when you have that open type in "ipconfig reset" and hit enter.

Ok, thanks chops. Will try this next time - if it happens. It's been fine for the last couple of days.

Happened again - at lunchtime. I tried that - but got a syntax error. Tried ifconfig /release....ifconfig/renew....also tried ifconfig /dnsflush - all to no avail...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Happened again - at lunchtime. I tried that - but got a syntax error. Tried ifconfig /release....ifconfig/renew....also tried ifconfig /dnsflush - all to no avail...:confused:

Hmm, I'm not sure so. The problem you have is something similar to what happened to me and that seemed to sort it!

I have since changed modem/router to a Huawei modem. The problem still persists (intermittently - and can strike at any time).

All of this seems to have coincided with my move over to vodafone broadband. It seems unlikely to me but I will ask the question anyway...

Is there any possible way in which the vodafone network can interfere resulting in this issue - as described???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Is there any possible way in which the vodafone network can interfere resulting in this issue - as described???

Unlikely as it's the router that gives you the address, not the ISP.

Intermittent SSID sounds like possible interference. Video senders, neighbours routers etc.
    Or could you just be too far from the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Hijpo

ipconfig /release /renew for windows
    ifconfig for linux

When it happens again check your lights on the router, get a wifi analyser if you have an android phone and test the signal strength etc through out the house. Isnt channel 11 the one that microwaves interfere with? could be a channel issue.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Unlikely as it's the router that gives you the address, not the ISP.
    That's what I thought but I really am at a loss to explain it away. I have tried 3 different routers - surely this would take the router out of the equation? Add to that the fact that it seems to have developed as an issue exactly at the time that I switched provider...
    Intermittent SSID sounds like possible interference. Video senders, neighbours routers etc.
    I guess if someone has made changes in a neighbouring house...but up until now, it's been working fine for 6 years - with the router in the same location all the while.
    Or could you just be too far from the router?
    As above - and even when I locate the laptop right next to the router - it's still an issue.
    hijpo wrote:
    ipconfig /release /renew for windows
    Have tried that - to no avail.
    hijpo wrote:
    When it happens again check your lights on the router, get a wifi analyser if you have an android phone and test the signal strength etc through out the house. Isnt channel 11 the one that microwaves interfere with? could be a channel issue.
    I guess I will try that on the onset of the next episode.

As an aside, I had no internet access for a couple of hours last night - i.e. could connect to the router without issue - but it couldn't connect to vodafone dsl.

As an aside, I had no internet access for a couple of hours last night - i.e. could connect to the router without issue - but it couldn't connect to vodafone dsl.

Thats an odd one, could it be that your having a number of seperate issues and were trying to link them all to one cause?

DSL drop out problems on vodafones side and wifi signal strength problems on your side? You could try a hard reset of the router but youd have to get the WAN login details from vodafone for the router again.

Hijpo wrote: »
    Thats an odd one, could it be that your having a number of seperate issues and were trying to link them all to one cause?
    For sure, I'm clutching at straws - in the absence of any other logical reason.
    DSL drop out problems on vodafones side
    Well, that's definitely their issue - although it's very much the other issue thats far more common.
    wifi signal strength problems on your side?
    I don't see it as a signal strength issue. I've had the router in the same location over 6 years. Granted there have been various routers - but they all functioned. Signal strength shows fine on my laptop. More recently, I have used 3 separate routers - so surely it can't be a router issue? One of those had been used for 2 years with utv broadband - never with one issue of this nature.
    You could try a hard reset of the router but youd have to get the WAN login details from vodafone for the router again.
    Well, I have replaced the router - with two others - so I don't see much point in trying a reset on the original router...

It really is a head-scratcher.

• Advertisement

Location being the only common thing with all routers, unless its a faulty power point thats cutting power for a split second to the router causing it to drop connection and so its taking a few minutes for the router to boot again?

Location being the only common thing with all routers, unless its a faulty power point thats cutting power for a split second to the router causing it to drop connection and so its taking a few minutes for the router to boot again?
    Ok, thanks for that. I think I can try that next. I vaguely remember initially switching this too...but that's some weeks ago when the problem first occurred. Will just double check it (as more recently when swapping routers, i just used the same power supply).

Ok, thanks for that. I think I can try that next. I vaguely remember initially switching this too...but that's some weeks ago when the problem first occurred. Will just double check it (as more recently when swapping routers, i just used the same power supply).

After that you could move house :-D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did you increase your speed when you moved to Vodafone?

What are your line stats like?

Have you tried changing the wireless channel or checking to see what wif networks are around you?

http://www.technibble.com/issider-find-wireless-network/

Advertisement