Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the saying 'Down the country' offend any culchies?

• 13-02-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

So a new fella from waterford town started at my work and while having a conversation with him he took offense when we referred to him as being from 'down the country'

he let us know in no uncertain terms that waterford town is actually a city(lol) even though its probably smaller than blanchardstown. and he really takes offense to being called a culchie or bogger

To be honest i dont think he will last much longer at the job as we all get on well here and have the craic and banter but this guy seems to be a bit too sensitive. we would gladly buy a train ticket for him to head back to where he came from

so is this guy a one off, or do other culchies get offended like this chap over remarks about being from the bog?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

No, it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

No, I dont take offense to the term "down the country". Why would I?

I would take offense to being called a culchie or a bogger though because you come across as a gigantic wánker when you say that to someone and more than likely the person saying it has no idea what a real "culchie" is, other than assuming it means "not from dublin".

Also op, you seem more offended by this lad being from somewhere else than Dublin than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

So you want to bully someone new out of a job because he is different? What age are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

jimpump wrote: »
    So a new fella from waterford town started at my work and while having a conversation with him he took offense when we referred to him as being from 'down the country'

he let us know in no uncertain terms that waterford town is actually a city(lol) even though its probably smaller than blanchardstown. and he really takes offense to being called a culchie or bogger

To be honest i dont think he will last much longer at the job as we all get on well here and have the craic and banter but this guy seems to be a bit too sensitive. we would gladly buy a train ticket for him to head back to where he came from

so is this guy a one off, or do other culchies get offended like this chap over remarks about being from the bog?

No, and lol, bigger than Blanchardstown me hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

May be not but I'm sure culchies may offend a few!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'm from Over Beyant not Down the Country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Being from Dublin doesn't mean everyone else is a culchie.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

You'd think he'd be just happy to get out of Waterford in fairness..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

You sound like a swell guy. I am sure he is lucky to work with someone like yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

In fairness, Waterford has official city status, the oldest city in the country i believe and i doubt if it's possible to build urban areas on a bog..

Sounds like you could learn a lot from the chap...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I was called a "N*gger" once.

I was both startled and confused, but I certainly wasn't offended.*

So, no. "Down the Country" wouldn't offend me.

*As I'm actually white this anecdote may not be relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

You'd think he'd be just happy to get out of Waterford in fairness..

thats it. hes an ungrateful prick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

Not at all. Even culchie or bogger doesn't bother me as I'd prefer that than being a Dub any day ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Haha the title of the thread made me laugh as I'm presuming people from outside Dublin would be more offended to be called a cuilche than from "down the country"....the Dublin equivalent would be: Do you think saying, "The Pale" offends any scumbag Dublin knacker jackeens? See what I did there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

Seachmall wrote: »
    I was called a "N*gger" once.

I was both startled and confused, but I certainly wasn't offended.*

So, no. "Down the Country" wouldn't offend me.

*As I'm actually white this anecdote may not be relevant.

And were you nagging anyone?

OP, for a change, maybe don't dismiss offensive things you say as "craic" and "banter" and be nice to your new workmate who is trying to adjust to a new job, away from home.

Being from Dublin doesn't mean everyone else is a culchie.

it pretty much does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No, doesn't offend

But calling Waterford City as Waterford town has me puzzled

skeptik wrote: »
    Not at all. Even culchie or bogger doesn't bother me as I'd prefer that than being a Dub any day ;):p

I'm so offended right now :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

hey op would you be offended if I called you a dickhead....coz you certainly sound like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Were you pulling the piss out of him or actually having a conversation? I ask because if you were having a proper conversation, I could see how refering to him as from "down the country" or whatever as rude, you could have just said he's from Waterford!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Would you be pissed off if your workmates kept calling you a junkie Dublin scumbag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Which country?

So you want to bully someone new out of a job because he is different? What age are you?

Bullying??

dont be so sensitive, its only a bit of banter

and im 29 if that means anything to ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

it pretty much does

and thats when I closed the tab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

No. I say "down the country" fairly often and I'm a culchie.

That's right, I said culchie. But only culchies can call themselves culchies. It's similar to the way that only tinkers can call themselves tinkers, and Busta Rhymes can use the N-word, but Bette Middler cannot.

Well she can. But that would make her a c*nt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I'm so offended right now :mad:

I'm sorry :( good job I didn't type Jackeen so I guess, oh, wait.............

:P:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

later10 wrote: »
    Busta Rhymes can use the N-word, but Bette Middler cannot.

Well she can. But that would make her a c*nt.
    Hey, in the same way that only blacks can use the N word, only Jackeens like the OP can use the C word! That's their word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

Bullying??

Ah, the battlecry of the needlessly offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Lol @ Dubs calling people from outside the megatropolis boggers.

Dublin is a back water third rate city when compared with most European capitals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Thanks OP, now i gotta smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

i think what should offend a culchie is that they go to coppers all the time

TheZohan wrote: »
    Would you be pissed off if your workmates kept calling you a junkie Dublin scumbag?

couldnt give a crap

i can take it unlike our sensitive culchie friend

Hey OP, do you take heroin, joyride cars and leach off the State in your council flat while you grew up in a filthy tenement? ;)
    [no offence intended to the decent folk housed by the local authority] Or corpo as the dubs say

Generalizations work both ways too and I think you're the sensitive one, you've met a self confident lad who can stand up for himself and doesn't take part in your stupid banter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

couldnt give a crap

i can take it unlike our sensitive culchie friend

Well stop bullying him and cop on to yourself.

cassi wrote: »
    Were you pulling the piss out of him or actually having a conversation? I ask because if you were having a proper conversation, I could see how refering to him as from "down the country" or whatever as rude, you could have just said he's from Waterford!

having a friendly conversation. asking about his family,fave football team, being nice and polite.

but then he lost it when i asked will he be going back 'down the country' for the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Dublin is a back water third rate city when compared with most European capitals.

I just dropped me bleedin' monocle.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

haha this is gonna be one of those threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Being from Donegal I always head up north and from there back up to Dublin. The only way is up!

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Hey OP, do you take heroin, joyride cars and leach off the State in your council flat while you grew up in a filthy tenement? ;)
    [no offence intended to the decent folk housed by the local authority] Or corpo as the dubs say

Generalizations work both ways too and I think you're the sensitive one, you've met a self confident lad who can stand up for himself and doesn't take part in your stupid banter

HA 'self-confident lad' equates to over sensitive looper to you it seems...are you his da by any chance? you both sound the same

and btw, nothing wrong with heroin and joyriding :cool:

True. Was telling my students today what we call "Red Necks" in Ireland (Spanish learning English) and I had to stop myself and say, actually, to you, my whole country is made up of spud munchers. They agreed. :)

• Advertisement

Tbh, I doubt this even happened

You made up a story to get a reaction in AH and well done, you got a reaction

Well written story OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

They prefer to be called muck savages or bog warriors. :pac:

Oh yes and their villages and Hamlets to collectively known as the schticks.

Yup even some of the Eastern bloc capitals that the Irish love to slag make Dublin look like a fishing village.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

OP thanks, that made me laugh and no I don`t find it offensive. Mainly because judging by your post you would have to look long and hard to find someone who valued your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Its a stupid expression particularly when applied to peoiple from say Donegal.

Bullying??

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/Pictures/Pictures/BackFuture15.jpg

Sure thats what they all say.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

No, doesn't offend

But calling Waterford City as Waterford town has me puzzled
    Just trying to be a smart arse is all.

Considering we are down the country I can't see what the fellas problem was.

and what lovely part of the country do you live??

do you take heroin, joyride cars and leach off the State in your council flat while you grew up in a filthy tenement?

Its uncanny! Do you live on my estate or something?:p

seanybiker wrote: »
    Just trying to be a smart arse is all.

Considering we are down the country I can't see what the fellas problem was.

exactly. dunno what all the other eejits problems in this thread are!

finally someone speaking some sense

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement