Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the saying 'Down the country' offend any culchies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The culchies are revolting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

jimpump wrote: »
    So a new fella from waterford town started at my work and while having a conversation with him he took offense when we referred to him as being from 'down the country'

he let us know in no uncertain terms that waterford town is actually a city(lol) even though its probably smaller than blanchardstown. and he really takes offense to being called a culchie or bogger

To be honest i dont think he will last much longer at the job as we all get on well here and have the craic and banter but this guy seems to be a bit too sensitive. we would gladly buy a train ticket for him to head back to where he came from

so is this guy a one off, or do other culchies get offended like this chap over remarks about being from the bog?
    seanybiker wrote: »
    Just trying to be a smart arse is all.

Considering we are down the country I can't see what the fellas problem was.

I've highlighted what parts he might have had a problem with seany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Op you do realize that people "down the country" are always calling each other boggers etc, those who live in the towns call the folk who live in the surrounding parishes boggers, it's when these urban people move to the big shmoke they find the bogger tag hard to take.
    If ever you move to Londan you'll know the feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

No one is offended by being called "from down the country", if he's from somewhere south of where you were when you said this. What sort of a dumb question is that?
    OP, are you ever offended at being called a "Jackine", or a "west Brit"? Or a "d1ckhead"? No of course you aren't, because that's what you are. Same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

and what lovely part of the country do you live??

I live in a palace on Hy Brasil - a small island off the west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

just make sure he knows how superior you are, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

TheZohan wrote: »
    Well stop bullying him and cop on to yourself.

with all due respect you sound like a lil girl

id hate to go for a pint with the likes of you...1 bit of slagging and you'd be in tears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Cool, one of these threads. It's been a while since I banned anyone.

Nowt like banning people after a day out cutting turf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bronzer

I'm used to being called a **** Kicker by my Dublin mates....water off a ducks back at this stage......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Lol @ Dubs calling people from outside the megatropolis boggers.

Dublin is a back water third rate city when compared with most European capitals.

It really isn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city
    Yup even some of the Eastern bloc capitals that the Irish love to slag make Dublin look like a fishing village.:D

Dublin is a pretty significant City on a European and even International level.

Edit: Scroll down to half-way on the wiki link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

with all due respect you sound like a lil girl

id hate to go for a pint with the likes of you...1 bit of slagging and you'd be in tears

I wouldn't lower myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Can I pick someone for you to ban ?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

omen80 wrote: »
    No one is offended by being called "from down the country", if he's from somewhere south of where you were when you said this. What sort of a dumb question is that?
    OP, are you ever offended at being called a "Jackine", or a "west Brit"? Or a "d1ckhead"? No of course you aren't, because that's what you are. Same thing.

sorry darling, did i touch a nerve?

its pricks like you that give boggers a bad name
    mod: poster banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

So a new fella from waterford town started at my work and while having a conversation with him he took offense when we referred to him as being from 'down the country'

he let us know in no uncertain terms that waterford town is actually a city(lol) even though its probably smaller than blanchardstown.

Are you one of those people who thinks Dublin is a city?

How delightfully quaint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I find this amazing , I do think people from outside Dublin have a chip on their shoulder with Dubs. I worked in Fermanagh last year and they all took great joy in anything I did wrong , however slight it was.
    Theyd say things like haha thatll wind his neck in.
    I just got on with it really gave as much stick as I got. Probably more.
    But I find that even though I have no idea where the word culchie comes from I dont see why take so much offence.
    And the big furore when you say your from a town and not a city? Why the **** do you care whether the population of your area has more or less than 100 000 people in it. Does it make you a bigger person if your from a city?
    So do you think when a Dub says down the country that means he thinks he is above you?
    When he calls you a farmer does that mean hes better than you because he works in spar?
    What I have noticed from working around around Ireland is country folk <for want of an accepted term > are a lot more likely to go running to the boss to brown nose at every oppertunity . This is something they should be working on instead of worrying about the size of their hamlet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

bronzer wrote: »
    I'm used to being called a **** Kicker by my Dublin mates....water off a ducks back at this stage......

Yes bronzer but saying it in conversations between mates is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

TheZohan wrote: »
    I've highlighted what parts he might have had a problem with seany.
    Yer man might arrive back upto dublin from here next week with a few ballybeg heads with him

go for it.
    mattjack wrote: »
    Can I pick someone for you to ban ?
    KeithM89 wrote: »

Banned.

you'll need to ban him again.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I have to laugh at people getting riled up by the comments from the dubs here...I'd rather listen to **** hitting a bucket than anything someone from that junkie infested self important ****hole has to say about anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Youre too soft :P

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Hey OP, do you take heroin, joyride cars and leach off the State in your council flat while you grew up in a filthy tenement? ;)
    [no offence intended to the decent folk housed by the local authority] Or corpo as the dubs say

Generalizations work both ways too and I think you're the sensitive one, you've met a self confident lad who can stand up for himself and doesn't take part in your stupid banter

In fairness he said the lad was from down the country...he didnt call him ignorant or backward or anything

Nope couldnt care if people say I'm from the country/a culchie/a bogger or any other nickname ye dubs wish to call me...I love the countryside...i dont care if im in the middle of nowhere Id rather be surrounded by beauty and to be able to see the stars at night than to have every convience on my door step...but each to their own

I think it's us culchies that attach most of the stigma in our own mind that these names are a bad thing...usually the dub calling us it is only taking the piss and expects a bit of slagging back

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Youre too soft :P

Did I leave my webcam on again? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

Sounds like I touched a nerve more like! I'm glad I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I always thought, that "down" is when I mean any place sought from Limerick, west when it is western from Athlone and up when it is further to the north than Drogheda.
    Silly foreigner... :rolleyes:

go for it.

I went for a slash and missed everything :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

cocoshovel wrote: »
    more than likely the person saying it has no idea what a real "culchie" is, other than assuming it means "not from dublin"..

Its sorta funny when culchies try to let on that they're not culchies. Ireland has three indigenous ethnic groups lads, nordies, culchies and dubs. Thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bambi wrote: »
    Ireland has three indigenous ethnic groups lads, nordies, culchies and dubs. Thats it.

You forgot the traveling folk boss ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Maybe he just doesn't think you're as hilarious as you do. You could try a new approach of just letting him get on with his work.

To answer the question; I wouldn't find it offensive. I'd just think the person saying it was a bit of an idiot. Ireland is tiny. I think treating someone who was born a couple of hundred miles away from where you were born as if they were an alien to be ludicrous.

The word culchie makes me hungry though because it sounds like Crunchie.

Its sorta funny when culchies try to let on that they're not culchies. Ireland has three indigenous ethnic groups lads, nordies, culchies and dubs. Thats it.

is that not four ?

• Advertisement

mattjack wrote: »
    [/B]

is that not four ?

Its three, see if you can spot why :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Nordies have invented a subdivision of the Culchie, the Mexicans. As in "South of the border".

You forgot the traveling folk boss ;)

They're basically feral culchies.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

In London it's really posh to stay in the Countryside at the weekend .

Its racist not to include the non nationals apparantly < or new Irish im not sure what I have to call them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Sindri wrote: »
    No, and lol, bigger than Blanchardstown me hole.

Population wise it Blanch is bigger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Well at least we're going to get this thread out of the way nice and early this week.

Love these threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Not offended, but when you refer to someone from another major urban area as being from "down the country", you just come across a bit of an idiot.

I remember a friend of mine from Belfast (grew up on the Falls Rd during the troubles) getting this from a Dub: "It must have been lovely growing up down the country with all dem cows and sheep and stuff"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

{disables PC mode}

Well if were gonna go down that road you also have soush-soiders, Scangers and Knackers as sub-enclaves.:p

I think people from Kilkenny deserve their own grouping aswell, if not just for the accent.

On a more serious note, As a Dub I didn't realise non dubs could be so hostile to us!

We're not all tracksuit pram pushing junkies you know! Some of us are black!

{re-enables PC mode}

Won't someone please think of the children!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

So are the nordies not subdivided .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I've just realised that when I think of Nordies, Culchies and Dubs and their various sub-classes I do so imagining all of them being male.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Randomer.

Never really get how over sensitive people who from outside Dublin are to being considered country people.

How the hell does culchie = dublin scumbag knacker junky???

Being from the country is noting to be embarrassed about or offended by. I seriously don't get it.

Sure culchie is a slang term but its really not such a negitive thing I just see it as the opposite of "city slicker".

I also don't get this need to prove you are not a 'culchie' and that where you are from is a real "city". I'm sorry but really, Dublin is the only proper 'city' we have in this Country. Cork at a stretch.

Being a city doesn't make anything better or worse, just different.

Don't get it at all...:confused:

The Nordies have invented a subdivision of the Culchie, the Mexicans. As in "South of the border".

Which is odd as they're essentially candian, what with the being north of the border and having the british queens' head on their money :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Except Dubliners are not indigenous.

I think people from Kilkenny deserve their own grouping aswell, if not just for the accent.

There isn't realy a Kilkenny accent

If you as a Dub find that an accent, well you the whole of the midlands and mid-west speaks like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

During my obligatory 'culchies spell working in The Pale', I lost count of the amount of times I was asked if we used the euro in Donegal :eek:

There isn't realy a Kilkenny accent

If you as a Dub find that an accent, well you the whole of the midlands and mid-west speaks like that

To a dub everyone outside dublin speaks like that , thats why we just call you all culchies.

This thread is getting tiresome

Anyone up for driving our tractors to the Dail and causing traffic gridlock? :)

Hasn't been a good tractor protest in years

During my obligatory 'culchies spell working in The Pale', I lost count of the amount of times I was asked if we used the euro in Donegal :eek:

Did ya take the socks off and count the toes as well ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

You forgot the traveling folk boss wink.gif
    They're basically feral culchies.

Yes it's true, 100 years ago a culchie named John paul Joe Morgan Lawrance Lanagan O'Rielly got lost on the way home from the pub, he learned to live off the land by eating copper salvaged from houses and invented the Hi-Ace. Desperate for employment he took to calling everyone boss in the hope that they would adopt him. he went on to have 20 children each of them named John paul and Rosanna.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement