Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the saying 'Down the country' offend any culchies?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Except Dubliners are not indigenous.

We're mostly descended from culchies who moved up to the smoke to better themselves :confused: Not exactly like evolution but sorta similar :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

From Monaghan.. My mothers from Armagh and I moved to Dublin when I was 18.. I never actually thought people would take so much pleasure in the way I say 'down'..

They were always friendly though... The worst I ever got was Paisley jokes which I took offence to.. The one thing I loved about Dublin was that they don't ask your surname to find out what religion you are. Culchie, Nordie, they're just slang terms, unless they're said with venom there should be no offence taken to them.

I do, however, think the OP has a bit of a pompous attitude. There are schools (probably less overcrowded), and colleges outside of Dublin that are just as good as the ones in it. your colleague is just as educated and qualified as you and your attitude stinks. I really think that the main reason he is annoyed is because he can sense that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

From Monaghan.. My mothers from Armagh and I moved to Dublin when I was 18.. I never actually thought people would take so much pleasure in the way I say 'down'..

They were always friendly though... The worst I ever got was Paisley jokes which I took offence to..

What a Terrible Sitchiation-hi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

jimpump wrote: »
    So a new fella from waterford town started at my work and while having a conversation with him he took offense when we referred to him as being from 'down the country'

he let us know in no uncertain terms that waterford town is actually a city(lol) even though its probably smaller than blanchardstown. and he really takes offense to being called a culchie or bogger

To be honest i dont think he will last much longer at the job as we all get on well here and have the craic and banter but this guy seems to be a bit too sensitive. we would gladly buy a train ticket for him to head back to where he came from

so is this guy a one off, or do other culchies get offended like this chap over remarks about being from the bog?

1. The tone of your post is why people show disdain against some dubs. Remember - it's the 'culchies' that are running the show up there.:D

2. Waterford is the oldest City is Ireland - predating (gasp) Dublin. It's where the Tricolour was flown for the first time. Again something people like you know very little about.

3. Blanchardstown is no Waterford. Thankfully.:rolleyes:

And presumably you don't know why you lot are called Jackeens.

Ay yeah. Culchies. They're so thick. I wonder who's laughing at who really.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LittleLady25

Would people actually call people culchies to their face though??!!:confused:

I dont think theres anything wrong with saying 'down the country' Like its just termonology.

I must beg to differ on the 'no kilkenny accent' comment, I know a lady from Kilkenny and although her accent wouldne be terribly strong, she most definitly has got an accent!

Sindri wrote: »
    No, and lol, bigger than Blanchardstown me hole.

Not bigger. Just far nicer.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭dirtyden

As an aside, a college friend of mine from Portmarnock had never seen a cow up close at the age of 19, passed them in the car that is all.

Are there any other dubs like this?

I found this a little unusual for any Irish person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

They were always friendly though... The worst I ever got was Paisley jokes which I took offence to..

What a Terrible Sitchiation-hi

Lol... The amount of times I've been literally tricked into saying that word...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Sure Culchie skin is thicker than the average skin. I dont think they could take offence, even if they tried. They get embarrassed real easy though .

Where does the nme culchie actually come from though?

Bullying??

dont be so sensitive, its only a bit of banter

and im 29 if that means anything to ya

Physically. Mentally - I'd say around 12.

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    Yer man might arrive back upto dublin from here next week with a few ballybeg heads with him

G'wan Seany!;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

cloptrop wrote: »
    But I find that even though I have no idea where the word culchie comes from I dont see why take so much offence.

Because it's a term used to differenciate someone who lives outside Dublin from a person who lives within Dublin. Whether it's used in a condescending tone or not, it still insinuates that a person from Dublin is more important/ better than a person from anywhere in Ireland outside Dublin. It's as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

having a friendly conversation. asking about his family,fave football team, being nice and polite.

but then he lost it when i asked will he be going back 'down the country' for the weekend

Me thinks there is more the story than this! Still don't know why he couldn't just say Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

So a new fella from waterford town started at my work and while having a conversation with him he took offense when we referred to him as being from 'down the country'

he let us know in no uncertain terms that waterford town is actually a city(lol) even though its probably smaller than blanchardstown. and he really takes offense to being called a culchie or bogger

To be honest i dont think he will last much longer at the job as we all get on well here and have the craic and banter but this guy seems to be a bit too sensitive. we would gladly buy a train ticket for him to head back to where he came from

so is this guy a one off, or do other culchies get offended like this chap over remarks about being from the bog?

Waterford is a city. What's your problem? Ireland isn't just Dublin and farms.

By the way, aren't you the lad that got married in a tracksuit? I doubt even the most uncivilised "culchie" would do that, so don't be getting all high and mighty thinking you're better than them.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76240576&postcount=127

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Why do these idiotic threads keep coming up?

If you feel the need to mock some place that youre not from it just shows you as a bit of a twat.

Are you a culchie if you love the following?
    01 : A nice bit of ham.
    02 : Buttered biscuits.
    03 : Diggin' Houles.
    04 : Saying it's too cold to snow
    05 : Pretending to know about The Ra.
    06 : Tayto Cheese & Onion
    07 : Pretending they're in The Ra.
    08 : A stretch in the evenings
    09 : Lucozade
    10 : Accordians
    11 : Pretending to like Holy Week.
    12 : A dinner dance
    13 : Gettin clattered in muck.
    14 : Shania Twain.
    15 : Heifers
    16 : Spittin in their hands before doing anything manual.
    17 : Steel toe caps.
    18 : A big bowl of carrots & parsnips.
    19 : Eating sangwiches out of the boot of a car at GAA
    20 : Saying someone's 'Opened a Book' on something.
    21 : The smell of fresh dung.
    22 : Slice-Your-Own Loaf.
    23 : Work Clothes.
    24 : A bottle of mineral.
    25 : Fightin'.
    26 : Puttin on a ganzee to stop them from bein foundered.
    27 : 'The' Hurling/Fitball.
    28 : Being overweight.
    29 : Weemin wha resemble Heifers.
    30 : Saying "Aaah" after taking their first sup of tae.
    31 : Drink driving.
    32 : Red diesel.
    33 : The Fear of Change.
    34 : A nice bit of barn brack.
    35 : Lying.
    36 : Building walls.
    37 : Being starved with the cold rather than with a lack of food.
    38 : Pretending to like mass.
    39 : Talking about ****e like Flax and the Corncrake.
    40 : A good blackthorn walkin stick.
    41 : Shouting 'Yeeeeeoooo' when something good happens.
    42 : Muhammad Ali.
    43 : Machinery.
    44 : Strange uppy-downy walks.
    45 : A good f**kin read of Ireland's Own.
    46 : Gelling their 1cm fringe tight to their forehead.
    47 : Scandal, as long as it's about other people.
    48 : Turf, because Sentirl heatin's for weemin.
    49 : Soda farls.
    50 : Sponge 'n Custirt.
    51 : Newmerica', and anything to do with it.
    52 : Givin the dog the wildest baytins.
    53 : Givin the wife the wildest baytins.
    54 : The Ra.
    55 : Winning a leg of lamb in a raffle.
    56 : Wrecking the house whilst steaming.
    57 : Club Orange.
    58 : Rubbing their hands together before tucking into their dinner.
    59 : The Foot & Mouth.
    60 : Aetin' a big feed of spuds.
    61 : TK Red Lemonade.

Because it's a term used to differenciate someone who lives outside Dublin from a person who lives within Dublin. Whether it's used in a condescending tone or not, it still insinuates that a person from Dublin is more important/ better than a person from anywhere in Ireland outside Dublin. It's as simple as that.

It doesnt insinuate anything , does calling me a dub mean you think your better than me?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

The waterford fella obviously found your remarks derogatory and possibly even uses the term culchie himself to describe people from wexford.
    Both are idiots for the same reason. Get over yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Only if they're from down the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭lefthooker

"down the country" doesn't bother me at all.
    Not as much as the people who lack awareness of their geographical location. For instance when Ulster/Connacht folk say they are "going up to Dublin"
    Look folks its down south and up north. East or west is over.

In fairness when I lived in Cork (not city) everyone used the term Jackine, (I had never heard this before) and I took no offence whatsoever,
    Its all just termonology ,any one agree??

Turpentine wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek: ah now it is a bit. Look at google maps, its farms, farms and more farms and if you look just under the Shmoke on the East coast there are some flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Randomer.

No, Ireland is Dublin , country side, farms and towns.

Randomer. wrote: »
    eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif ah now it is a bit. Look at google maps, its farms, farms and more farms and if you look just under the Shmoke on the East coast there are some flats.

I bet neither of you have gone beyond the edge of Tallaght, and maybe went as far North as the airport to fly to the Canaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Randomer. wrote: »

No, Dublin is just a small stain on the east coast of the country.

• Advertisement

Sure why would you want to go to the big ****ty, you have everything you need in castletown.

From about 30 seconds. :D

Basically Ireland is made up of many towns like that + Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

Bleedin Townies

DarkJager wrote: »
    No, Dublin is just a small stain on the east coast of the country.

Does that make Limerick a skidmark on the mid west?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It doesn't bother me because i am from the country.

If i wasn't from the country and somebody said i was in spite of them knowing i came from a town i would think that person is a bit slow.

Also, don't call people from urban area's culchies...it's water down the meaning of the word and we are trying to take that back in the style of rap and the n word.

What up my culchie?

I bet neither of you have gone beyond the edge of Tallaght, and maybe went as far North as the airport to fly to the Canaries.

I Used to live in West Clare and Roscommon. Also been to many places in Europe and never once to a traditional holiday location. Ive never been to Tallaght but I hear its dreadful. Canaries is my idea of hell.

You should note that my tongue is firmly in cheek for these posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Lots of people here don't seem to realise that just because someone isn't from a big city it doesn't mean they live in the middle of nowhere. They seem to think that all that's outside Dublin is one big field.

I live in Carlow and we have things like shopping centres where you can buy stuff. We even have beggars, vandalism and drunk people urinating in doorways so there's something for everyone.

Does that make Limerick a skidmark on the mid west?

No because unlike Dublin, people in Limerick don't have prententious notions about where they are from meaning anything more than an address. Dublin wants to have this metropolis image and fails hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

This is the same guy who started the "people who drink but don't take drugs are hypocrites thread". Smart fellow.

This is the same guy who started the "people who drink but don't take drugs are hypocrites thread". Smart fellow.
    Alcohol's not a drug, it's a drink!

No because unlike Dublin, people in Limerick don't have prententious notions about where they are from meaning anything more than an address. Dublin wants to have this metropolis image and fails hard.

Not so sure about that i have to say. When i lived in Limerick there were a few chaps would play the hard lad and expect you to feel fear because they were "from Limerick".

Every town, city etc will have a percentage of the population who buys into, and ride the coat tails of, whatever myth exists about the place.

Look at Dublin, people will talk about how it has museums and culture etc but they spend all their time in the same three pubs and wouldn't know where the Chester Beatty Library was without google maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think he said "People who drink but criticise people who take drugs" - there's a big difference.

I'm from County Cork and no, I wouldn't even notice if someone said "Down the country".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I forgot to mention we have a sex shop in Carlow too. It has a sign saying "second entrance at the rear" and is located near the cathedral.

I forgot to mention we have a sex shop in Carlow too. It has a sign saying "second entrance at the rear" and is located near the cathedral.

Wow it sounds like Miami.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

Who cares about culchies or jackeens?

We're still living in Ireland, unfortunately.

I live in Carlow and we have things like shopping centres where you can buy stuff. We even have beggars, vandalism and drunk people urinating in doorways so there's something for everyone.

Carlow has really pulled up its socks since the last time I was there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

Carlow has really pulled up its socks since the last time I was there.

And pulled down it's pants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Dudess wrote: »
    I think he said "People who drink but criticise people who take drugs" - there's a big difference.

I'm from County Cork and no, I wouldn't even notice if someone said "Down the country".

Double checked there and you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

It's pretty rude in fairness OP- it suggests there are two places in Ireland; Dublin and Not Dublin. I go on about down the country all the time but only to the blow-INS I'm
    actually friends with who regularly rip the piss out of Dublin. They're culchies though, they don't know any better, not their fault.

You do always travel down the country though (OT) as you travel up to the capital regardless of geographical location.

Not so sure about that i have to say. When i lived in Limerick there were a few chaps would play the hard lad and expect you to feel fear because they were "from Limerick".

Every town, city etc will have a percentage of the population who buys into, and ride the coat tails of, whatever myth exists about the place.

Look at Dublin, people will talk about how it has museums and culture etc but they spend all their time in the same three pubs and wouldn't know where the Chester Beatty Library was without google maps.

I'd agree with you on that point, there's definitely cretins here who think Limerick is a mirror image of South central LA and like to play it up. That's the gangster image put on this place by media though and unfortunately something which clueless clowns aspire to without realising that there's no bloods or crips or celebrity gangsta rappers here, just badly dressed scumbags in council estates with a penchant for mindless violence.

As for Dublin though, I have a dim view of the place simply for the attitude I've gotten off many dubs that I've met and spoken to, though I will confess that's generalising but one from personal experiences. The attitude seems to revolve around it being the capital city and the need to portray themselves as better than everybody else (prevalent in this thread too). Just an example: David Harvey on 4fm had a Dublin councillor on 2 weeks ago about the septic tank charge and the protest in Dublin. His response? "I don't think it's something many people will feel very strongly about outside these areas, and certainly one I'm not going to lose any sleep over".

Katgurl wrote: »
    You do always travel down the country though (OT) as you travel up to the capital regardless of geographical location.

Pure genius.

anyone I know from outside Dublin always say ' im going down home' even when geographically they dont live'down ' at all.
    One would then assume its the norm?
    I am not sure now then what Ill have to say in future...:confused:

I've been in every city on this island and they all have their good and bad points, but some of the most annoying people to encounter are the ones who try and define where-ever they're from as some sort of anti-Dublin.

No-one in Dublin spends their day thinking "Grrr Limerick (for example) think they're so great but they're not", but in other towns and cities there are some people who'll look at you like you've got two heads if you have a Dublin accent.
    Just an example: David Harvey on 4fm had a Dublin councillor on 2 weeks ago about the septic tank charge and the protest in Dublin. His response? "I don't think it's something many people will feel very strongly about outside these areas, and certainly one I'm not going to lose any sleep over".

Dublin doesn't have as much one off housing, hence there are civic sewage facilities so septic tanks aren't an issue. What's your issue with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dan dan

I think that SLUM SCUM is more offensive.

• Advertisement

Dublin doesn't have as much one off housing, hence there are civic sewage facilities so septic tanks aren't an issue. What's your issue with that?

It's not what facilities you have in place, simply the sickening attitude of the prick he had on the air. "it doesn't affect Dublin so I don't care about it" was the general message he gave out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement