Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the saying 'Down the country' offend any culchies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LittleLady25

Turpentine wrote: »
    I've been in every city on this island and they all have their good and bad points, but some of the most annoying people to encounter are the ones who try and define where-ever they're from as some sort of anti-Dublin.

No-one in Dublin spends their day thinking "Grrr Limerick (for example) think they're so great but they're not", but in other towns and cities there are some people who'll look at you like you've got two heads if you have a Dublin accent.

I couldnt agree more. Everywhere (including Dublin we admit it!) has good and bad points.
    +100,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Why do people say thinks so wrong geographically? eg. Armagh people at the Kerry match weekend talking about how they went "up to Kerry" or Tipperary people saying they must "go down" to Roscommon, does South mean North in these peoples brains?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Whenever Ive worked in any town in ireland Id hear the same
    "the new road is great isnt it , how long did it take you to get here?"
    Id reply then a few sentences later
    "the only thing about that new road from dublin is the fact that since its been built house breakins have tripled around here"

How do I quote does anyone know? I tried quoting there and it didnt work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think everyone should be offended actually seeing as Down is a county, not a country. Learn your geography!
    bronzer wrote: »
    I'm used to being called a **** Kicker by my Dublin mates....water off a ducks back at this stage......

Face Kicker? You'd be a legend round these parts.

• Advertisement

How do I quote does anyone know? I tried quoting there and it didnt work!
    just click the quote button in the persons quote you want to quote then type and press send.

cloptrop wrote: »
    just click the quote button in the persons quote you want to quote then type and press send.

Thanks cloptrop tried puttin a smiley I copied but didnt work either grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

DarkJager wrote: »
    It's not what facilities you have in place, simply the sickening attitude of the prick he had on the air. "it doesn't affect Dublin so I don't care about it" was the general message he gave out.

Of course he wouldn't care about it, he's a Dublin politician and it doesn't affect his constituents. Would you expect a politician from Galway to care about local issues in Dublin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Bambi wrote: »
    Its sorta funny when culchies try to let on that they're not culchies. Ireland has three indigenous ethnic groups lads, nordies, culchies and dubs. Thats it.

Eh, you mean we're about 60% Gaelic, 15% Norman, 10% Viking, 10% english (who all seemed to settle in dublin), and 5% other.

Sure Culchie skin is thicker than the average skin. I dont think they could take offence, even if they tried. They get embarrassed real easy though .

Where does the nme culchie actually come from though?

"Culchie" was a derogatory term used by the planters / english settlers for those native Gaelic Irish who carried the Irish "culture". To this day the divisions in culture are obvious, the fact that this thread exists is a perfect example.

"Culchie" was a derogatory term used by the planters / english settlers for those native Gaelic Irish who carried the Irish "culture". To this day the divisions in culture are obvious, the fact that this thread exists is a perfect example

But what did it mean? Was there a translation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

newmug wrote: »
    "Culchie" was a derogatory term used by the planters / english settlers for those native Gaelic Irish who carried the Irish "culture". To this day the divisions in culture are obvious, the fact that this thread exists is a perfect example.

I was always told it meant "cúl an tí" because of the way us country folk always used the back door entrance to the house and reserved the front door for priests or important people

My dad always said it was after a town in Mayo Coillte Mach because apparently it was the most remote town in Ireland..I can't really comment as I've no idea where Coillte Mach is in Mayo

Wikipedia agrees success!!

It also says it could be from agriculture or from coillte

I'm not saying your definition is wrong even though it's widely known that wikipedia is irrefutable but seeing as that entire section has citation needed all over it might just be a teeny bit in accurate :D

But what did it mean? Was there a translation?

Its just the word "culture" mispronounced. ie if you had the Irish culture, you were a CULTCH-Y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Its just the word "culture" mispronounced. ie if you had the Irish culture, you were a CULTCH-Y

Born and Raised in Dublin and I have plenty of Irish Culture so am I a cultchie dub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Pure genius.

pure sarcasm? I am referring to a convention of the English language. It is quite old fashioned now but explains where the expression 'down the country' came from.

The Irish for woods is coillte <spelling mistake may be made>
    Id say the English called the real muckers coiltes or woodsmen then the name stuck and everyone outside dublin became a culchie over time.
    Thats what it looks like from my research anyhu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Dubliners calling us culchies/boggers/whatever, pfft! no notice taken, cos it's usually a goodnatured put-down, and can be easily replied to.

What I love though is to see the little jumped up fcukers from the small and medium sized towns get their comeuppance when they go to college in Dublin.
    These odious **** were good enough themselves at discriminating against people who lived in the countryside when they were in school.

Indeed, there have been a few on this thread already trying to curry favour with the Dubs, going "not us, not us, - were not like those horrible rural peasants". "We're from cities tooooooo"

Dubs, save the most vehement scorn for these pathetic wretches. :D

The Irish for woods is coillte <spelling mistake may be made>
    Id say the English called the real muckers coiltes or woodsmen then the name stuck and everyone outside dublin became a culchie over time.
    Thats what it looks like from my research anyhu.

Do you have to try to get at least one insult into every post, or is it that you just can't help yourself, or don't know any better ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

DarkJager wrote: »
    As for Dublin though, I have a dim view of the place simply for the attitude I've gotten off many dubs that I've met and spoken to, though I will confess that's generalising but one from personal experiences. The attitude seems to revolve around it being the capital city and the need to portray themselves as better than everybody else (prevalent in this thread too). Just an example: David Harvey on 4fm had a Dublin councillor on 2 weeks ago about the septic tank charge and the protest in Dublin. His response? "I don't think it's something many people will feel very strongly about outside these areas, and certainly one I'm not going to lose any sleep over".

TD's don't care about local issues in other parts of Ireland.

Mattie McGrath in Tipp South could talk for hours and is full of anger over the septic tanks as it's an issue for his constituents

But if you asked him about Dubs and Leinster running short of water and wanting to steal our water from the Shannon :p or the issues with the sewage in North Dublin or an incinerator in Ringsend, well he doesn't care at all.

johnr1 wrote: »
    Dubliners calling us culchies/boggers/whatever, pfft! no notice taken, cos it's usually a goodnatured put-down, and can be easily replied to.

What I love though is to see the little jumped up fcukers from the small and medium sized towns get their comeuppance when they go to college in Dublin.
    These odious **** were good enough themselves at discriminating against people who lived in the countryside when they were in school.

Indeed, there have been a few on this thread already trying to curry favour with the Dubs, going "not us, not us, - were not like those horrible rural peasants". "We're from cities tooooooo"

Dubs, save the most vehement scorn for these pathetic wretches. :D

You mean people from Balbriggan?

Born and Raised in Dublin and I have plenty of Irish Culture so am I a cultchie dub?

Hate to break it to ya, but dublin culture is english culture, not Irish. Irish culture is rural to the core. If you dont know the difference between an Angus and a Limousine, you dont have Irish culture. Even things like placenames and surnames are way more english in dublin than they are anywhere else in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

jimpump wrote: »
    So a new fella from waterford town started at my work and while having a conversation with him he took offense when we referred to him as being from 'down the country'

he let us know in no uncertain terms that waterford town is actually a city(lol) even though its probably smaller than blanchardstown. and he really takes offense to being called a culchie or bogger

To be honest i dont think he will last much longer at the job as we all get on well here and have the craic and banter but this guy seems to be a bit too sensitive. we would gladly buy a train ticket for him to head back to where he came from

so is this guy a one off, or do other culchies get offended like this chap over remarks about being from the bog?

"Down the country" just sounds silly because unless you're from north of Derry there are places "up the country" - Dublin is "down the country" from Sligo or about 50% of the island.

I can't see how you're using a city-dweller as an example of how country people feel, though.

I'd say it's more the clueless and ignorant phrases like using "town" (do you even know the definition of a city?) or "bog" that pisses off the (very short-term) listeners and readers of such verbal manure.

Do you have to try to get at least one insult into every post, or is it that you just can't help yourself, or don't know any better ? :)

I am actually a deep meaningful thinker you have to read between the insults to find the true message of my posts.
    I however never treat anybody badly who treats me nicely I couldnt give a piss where they were from. And I start every friendship/ aquaintance work sitution on that level.
    I would think calling someone a culchie in a job full of dubs abit stupid, but if I was in any other town outside of dublin , one of the first things Id get is stick for being from Dublin .
    Whether it be because dublin castle was the english headquaters or cause Dublin is a big city and has all the problems a big city has.

Do you own land? Has your family lived in the parish for at least three generations?

No?
    Sorry, you're a blow in and we'll never accept you

And to be called a blow in can be an awful insult in rural Ireland :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

well im from the most northern county in ireland, so it would be quite illogical to say such a thing.

But then again you are from a city where people seem to not consider dublin an ugly ****hole with obnoxious people who by rights should be all sterilised at birth:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No offence OP - but if I was from Dublin, I'd mask my accent and pretend I was from anywhere else. It is a revoltingly hideous city, with stomach churning accents. You'd swear there's something to be proud of being from there. Waterford isn't the best city in the world, but it has no expectations. It's just some random small city. Dublin however is a capital city with the majority of the country's investment into it. Despite that - it looks like it's been hit by a nuclear bomb and cellotaped back together with red bricks and homeless people.

Hate to break it to ya, but dublin culture is english culture, not Irish. Irish culture is rural to the core. If you dont know the difference between an Angus and a Limousine, you dont have Irish culture. Even things like placenames and surnames are way more english in dublin than they are anywhere else in Ireland.

An Angus is a premium Scottish breed of bovine.
    A Limousine is a long car.

A Limousin, on the other hand, is another "brand" of bovine which originated in France.

But don't worry - you can learn some Irish culture and be nearly as good as the rest of us! ;)

I am as Irish as you pal, you don't have a monopoly on culture just because your not a dubliner.

You know what I see when i look out my window? A farm, in Dublin! We even have cows, GAA, trad and gealic here.

Go take your small minded comments elsewhere unless you want a jackeen to make a fool of you online.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Many years ago when I was at secondary school a girl called me a culchie, I told her that if being from the country made me a culchie then that was fine, I had no problem with that, but what did it make her, oh ya a townie. She did'nt like that and never called me a culchie again.

I really do not have a problem with being called a culchie. But you are either living in a rural or urban area, so you are either a culchie or a townie.

dlofnep wrote: »
    No offence OP - but if I was from Dublin, I'd mask my accent and pretend I was from anywhere else. It is a revoltingly hideous city, with stomach churning accents. You'd swear there's something to be proud of being from there. Waterford isn't the best city in the world, but it has no expectations. It's just some random small city. Dublin however is a capital city with the majority of the country's investment into it. Despite that - it looks like it's been hit by a nuclear bomb and cellotaped back together with red bricks and homeless people.

To which Dublin accent are you referring? There are several very different accents.

• Advertisement

You could take out Dublin and sub in any other city and it would be the same thread

Here in the mid-west we throw the same insults at the city slickers in Limerick

I've read the same about Waterford city and the people who live in West Waterford on boards

Galwegians look down on sham town/Tuam and you're in for right abuse if you're inside the Mayo border and commute to work in the city

And so it continues and it'll never end

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Do you own land? Has your family lived in the parish for at least three generations?

No?
    Sorry, you're a blow in and we'll never accept you

And to be called a blow in can be an awful insult in rural Ireland :eek:

My family used to own the land where now stands Busarus and Store st Gardai station. There is a Street in town named after one of my great greats. Can I be Irish now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

as a dub can i just say that i dont find the word jackeen offensive what so ever, i actually find it comical. why do culchies call us people from dublin jackeens ? i do how ever get offended by being called west brits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

To which Dublin accent are you referring? There are several very different accents.

and they are all equally hideous

ricero wrote: »
    as a dub can i just say that i dont find the word jackeen offensive what so ever, i actually find it comical. why do culchies call us people from dublin jackeens ? i do how ever get offended by being called west brits

It is a referance to the Union Jack that was flown en masse by Dubs when a Royal visited a long time ago. Seems like these 'culchies' can hold a grudge forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The 'bland' Dublin accent is fine. The rest... ugh. It feels dirty.

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    An Angus is a premium Scottish breed of bovine.

A Limousin, on the other hand, is another "brand" of bovine which originated in France.

But don't worry - you can learn some Irish culture and be nearly as good as the rest of us! ;)

Maith an fear, ar fheabhas!

Obviously, you have genuine Irish culture, glad to see it! Its fairly rare here on Boards. But dont let my spelling error of Limousin/e fool you, I'm sure you probably figured out that english is not my first language;)

My family used to own the land where now stands Busarus and Store st Gardai station. There is a Street in town named after one of my great greats. Can I be Irish now?

Of course not , to be Irish you have to be a farmer. There is no way in the world a city slicker can be Irish , he must be from a country of just cities. You know them countries that never had farmers. These countries that had cavemen accountants and cavemen bankers. Thats what country you are from. Ireland is the only country that ever had farmers.

ricero wrote: »
    why do culchies call us people from dublin jackeens ?

We don't anymore, you've lost that title

Corkonians are the jackeens of Ireland now

The 'bland' Dublin accent is fine. The rest... ugh. It feels dirty.

I actually agree being of the bland neutral variety myself. The scanger accent is woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

No offence OP - but if I was from Dublin, I'd mask my accent and pretend I was from anywhere else. It is a revoltingly hideous city, with stomach churning accents.

Ironically enough, Dublin probably has the biggest mix of accents in the country because people from around the country and elsewhere move here.
    Dublin however is a capital city with the majority of the country's investment into it. Despite that - it looks like it's been hit by a nuclear bomb and cellotaped back together with red bricks and homeless people.

It's the small town seige mentality of people like yourself who give "culchies" a bad name, defining your lives by how much more Irish than Dubliners you think you are.

• Advertisement

brand of bovine

You mean breed surely?

And nobody says bovine

You'd get called a book farmer if you talked like that at the mart :p
    Full of book knowledge but what do ya realy know?

:D if we're going to be pedantic, that would actually be a stretch limousine.
    Regular limousines are not particularly longer than normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

There is a Street in town named after one of my great greats.
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jimpump wrote: »
    he took offense when we referred to him as being from 'down the country'
    Would you take offence being called a chav/skanger/scumbag purely becaue you're from Dublin?

brand of bovine

You mean breed surely?

And nobody says bovine

????????????????????????????
    What did michael collins work at?
    What was Eamon DeVeleras profession.??

Have you quoted the wrong post there?

Post office clerk and maths teacher

Why quote me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Damn, I missed another Dublin Vs. Everyone thread.

I'd get here sooner but it takes ages to collect enough potatoes out in fields to power this digital multimedia box you people call P..........................C's?

Oh well, have to head back out anyways. That feckin' mule out in the field beside me belonging to the O'Flahertys stole me house again. Last month, it took me 3 days to coax it back down off the big tree and hand it back, but not before I threatened to pull it down with my 2 year long bailing twine.

Feckin' donkey, it ate me children last year, too, would ya believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

the_syco wrote: »
    Would you take offence being called a chav/skanger/scumbag purely becaue you're from Dublin?

hardly the same.

:D if we're going to be pedantic, that would actually be a stretch limousine.
    Regular limousines are not particularly longer than normal.

"not particularly longer" still means "longer"

A stretch limo is "much longer"

brand of bovine

You mean breed surely?

And nobody says bovine

That's the word - it wouldn't come to me which is why I put "brand" in quotation marks - the closest I could think of.

Also didn't want anyone to mistake me for a culche ;) by my knowing every little detail!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement