Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the saying 'Down the country' offend any culchies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Have you quoted the wrong post there?

Post office clerk and maths teacher

Why quote me?

Because you seem to think being a farmer is the be all and end all of irish culture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I am as Irish as you pal, you don't have a monopoly on culture just because your not a dubliner.

You know what I see when i look out my window? A farm, in Dublin! We even have cows, GAA, trad and gealic here.

Go take your small minded comments elsewhere unless you want a jackeen to make a fool of you online.;)

Relax there "bud", I'm only stating facts. I didnt insult you or verbally abuse you with either words, or tone. Winking smileys or otherwise.

You cannot deny that there is a chasm of difference between the culture that pervades in dublin, and that of elsewhere in Ireland. There are historical reasons for this, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you know why.

In response to a different posters question about the origin of the word culchie, I presented the accepted view around these parts. If that offends you, I suggest you direct your energy towards some research on the subject, and possibly some anxiety management or councelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

cloptrop wrote: »
    Because you seem to think being a farmer is the be all and end all of irish culture.

I was replying to another post about breeds, that's all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

newmug wrote: »
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    An Angus is a premium Scottish breed of bovine.
    A Limousine is a long car.

A Limousin, on the other hand, is another "brand" of bovine which originated in France.

But don't worry - you can learn some Irish culture and be nearly as good as the rest of us! ;)

Maith an fear, ar fheabhas!

Obviously, you have genuine Irish culture, glad to see it! Its fairly rare here on Boards. But dont let my spelling error of Limousin/e fool you, I'm sure you probably figured out that english is not my first language;)

Knowing about Scottish & French stuff makes me more Irish ?

Er.....OK so.....I'm off to reinforce that Irishness with a meal of snails & haggis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Growing up in Galway city, I could never conceive of being considered a culchie.
    I'd go for Sunday drives to the countryside and be amazed at the huge differences I saw between my accent and that of the countryfolk. I'd marvel at their apparently much more relaxed pace of life.
    The countryside seemed like a completely different world.
    I felt that I was a sophisticated urbanite, and as a naive youngster I'd joke about culchies and boggers, especially when I'd see older people from rural areas in Galway for Christmas shopping, clearly a few steps behind the pace of the city, and even speaking Irish sometimes!

I knew that Galway was effectively just a large town, and that Dublin was bigger, but I felt that any difference was merely one of size, and that any Dub and I would be kindred spirits against the "boggers" as there was nothing, for better or worse, that they had in Dublin that we didn't have in Galway.

Then I got older, and lost much of my anti-rural prejudices, but also began to realise that a minority of Dubliners saw everyone outside of the city as a culchie.
    I was shocked. In such a small country, how had they not been to places like Galway, Waterford, Cork etc and not seen that we had our own urban cultures similar to theres, and were so different from the real countryfolk?
    I know not all Dubs are so smug, far from it, but it's still sad to see.

It also seems so ridiculous, in such a tiny country seen by many with an outside perspective as an insignificant backwater, that we make such a big deal from such small distinctions. It makes me fear sometimes that at heart we'll always be small-minded tribal creatures, looking for any difference in others that we can use to make ourselves look or feel superior.

As for the word "down" being the most offensive element of the phrase "down to the country:" does that not originate from the English tradition of saying "to go up to London" and some thus assuming that one would therefore logically go "down" to the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

When I lived in Dublin I would say down the country if I was talking about somewhere like Cork which is south of Dublin and up the country if I was talking about somewhere like Donegal which is North.

I do this because I once said down to Donegal my Mam who in no uncertain terms told me it was up and reminded me that not everywhere is below Dublin.

I think when people say it they don’t mean it offensively just as in "down the road in" not as in “the place is beneath me and my area”.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I was replying to another post about breeds, that's all

Im sorry i mixed you up with newmug ,

Er.....OK so.....I'm off to reinforce that Irishness with a meal of snails & haggis

Knowing the difference between two non-Irish, but still ancient Gaelic breeds of cattle definately confirms ones Gaelicness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Knowing the difference between two non-Irish, but still ancient Gaelic breeds of cattle definately confirms ones Gaelicness.

Does being a bitter little bogger? :pac:

• Advertisement

What if he is a black African who happens to be an expert in cattle? Can he get an European passport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Growing up in Galway city, I could never conceive of being considered a culchie.
    I'd go for Sunday drives to the countryside and be amazed at the huge differences I saw between my accent and that of the countryfolk. I'd marvel at their apparently much more relaxed pace of life.
    I felt that I was a sophisticated urbanite, and as a naive youngster I'd joke about culchies and boggers, especially when I'd see older people from rural areas in Galway for Christmas shopping, clearly a few steps behind the pace of the city, and even speaking Irish sometimes!

I knew that Galway was effectively just a large town, and that Dublin was bigger, but I felt that any difference was merely one of size, and that any Dub and I would be kindred spirits against the "boggers" as there was nothing, for better or worse, that they had in Dublin that we didn't have in Galway.

Then I got older, and lost much of my anti-rural prejudices, but also began to realise that a minority of Dubliners saw everyone outside of the city as a culchie.
    I was shocked. In such a small country, how had they not been to places like Galway, Waterford, Cork etc and not seen that we had our own urban cultures similar to theres, and were so different from the real countryfolk?

It also seems so ridiculous, in such a tiny country seen by many with an outside perspective as an insignificant backwater, that we make such a big deal from such small distinctions. It makes me fear sometimes that at heart we'll always be small-minded tribal creatures, looking for any difference in others that we can use to make ourselves look or feel superior.

As for the word "down" being the most offensive element of the phrase "down to the country:" does that not originate from the English tradition of saying "to go up to London" and some thus assuming that one would therefore logically go "down" to the country?

People went up to London because it is capital city.

I can't believe people actually get offended by the 'down' part of that expression. Referring to everywhere outside Dublin collectively as 'the country however is totally ridiculous.

RichieC wrote: »

I wouldn't know. Ask one and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

I wouldn't fancy living outside Dublin. especially if the alternative was somewhere like Donegal. depends on what you're into, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I wouldn't know. Ask one and see.

I'm asking newegg. The quoting is muck on mobile. ;)

Katgurl wrote: »

I can't believe people actually get offended by the 'down' part of that expression. Referring to everywhere outside Dublin collectively as 'the country however is totally ridiculous.

But it is the country it’s just not necessarily the countryside.

• Advertisement

VagnerLove wrote: »
    I wouldn't fancy living outside Dublin. especially if the alternative was somewhere like Donegal. depends on what you're into, though.

You're very lucky then, that living in either Dublin (you don't specify if you mean Dublin city or Dublin county) or Donegal (you don't specifiy if you mean living in a town or village, or in a purely rural spot) aren't the only two choices!
    Originally posted by Doc

For pretty much everyone I know, "the country" and "the countryside" are synonymous, unless "the country" actually refers to the nation as a whole.

So if cities like Limerick and Cork are in "the country," why not Dublin?

This is why I think dividing the country into Dublin and "the country" is silly: "the country" is not some homogenous mass at all, and it's not so different from Dublin either.

Doc wrote: »

Dublin is in the same country though, so Katgurl's point stands.

but Galway for example has a more similar lifestyle / environment to Dublin than it does to rural Mayo. So having a collective noun for everywhere outside Dublin seems ridiculous.

What if he is a black African who happens to be an expert in cattle? Can he get an European passport?

Less of it, Suarez! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Two perfect examples of post# 167 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

johnr1 wrote: »

What is post #167?

They would be if I were still immature enough to judge someone for living a certain distance away from me.

I also spend a lot of my time in Dublin and never experienced any culture shock there, particularly not for being looked down on as I'd become aware of that a long time ago, and most Dubs I know don't look down on me.
    Probably because they're not small-minded, and also because I have a quite neutral accent and am generally great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Down the country? You gotta be joking me. This is the only way to head to the country. Roll me a biggie!

What is post #167?

Every post is numbered at the top right hand corner.

What if he is a black African who happens to be an expert in cattle?
    I'm asking newegg. The quoting is muck on mobile. ;)

Well in that case one thing's for sure, he mightn't be Irish, but he sure would know a lot more about Irish culture than some of the plastic paddys that post on here.

What the hell is with all this bitterness? Whats wrong with admitting that dublin has less Irish culture than rural parts of Ireland? Its not an opinion, its a historical FACT. It doesnt make dublin people any "less Irish", yet the minute its mentioned, you get all these "I'm as Oirish as yeu bud" posts and "Ah shure if ya dont sh1te shamrocks in the bog of a spring mornin', you're only as good as a festerin' foreigners foreskin" sarcastic b0llix. You might aswell advertise your insecurities about being Irish by tattooing it on your forehead.

In answer to the OP about the whole "down the country" / "cultchie" thing, its galling when someone is condecending, no matter what the situation. If you were made to feel insecure by this new employee, and you decided to combat that with a little bit of "I'm better than you cos I'm from dublin / you're just a bogger peasant" small mindedness in a similar fashion to whats being posted here, well then all I can say is that that was very petty and not becoming of a smart, copped on Irishman. In fact, if I were your employer and overheard anything of the sort, I'd be looking for another new employee.

What is post #167?

not on my iPhone

What is post #167?

Not on mobile it isn't.

Not on mobile it isn't.

its a caravan not a mobile,
    ****in culchies tryin to be posh
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Well in that case one thing's for sure, he mightn't be Irish, but he sure would know a lot more about Irish culture than some of the plastic paddys that post on here.

What the hell is with all this bitterness? Whats wrong with admitting that dublin has less Irish culture than rural parts of Ireland? Its not an opinion, its a historical FACT. It doesnt make dublin people any "less Irish", yet the minute its mentioned, you get all these "I'm as Oirish as yeu bud" posts and "Ah shure if ya dont sh1te shamrocks in the bog of a spring mornin', you're only as good as a festerin' foreigners foreskin" sarcastic b0llix. You might aswell advertise your insecurities about being Irish by tattooing it on your forehead.

In answer to the OP about the whole "down the country" / "cultchie" thing, its galling when someone is condecending, no matter what the situation. If you were made to feel insecure by this new employee, and you decided to combat that with a little bit of "I'm better than you cos I'm from dublin / you're just a bogger peasant" small mindedness in a similar fashion to whats being posted here, well then all I can say is that that was very petty and not becoming of a smart, copped on Irishman. In fact, if I were your employer and overheard anything of the sort, I'd be looking for another new employee.

Get up out of it will you.

Knowing about cattle does not mean someone has more knowledge of Irish culture.

Not even every farmer keeps bloody cows.

And that's not to mention coastal towns whose main industry was fishing.

I suggest you learn more about your own country before beating your chest saying "I know lots about cows! I'm the most Irish man here!"

not on my iPhone
    Not on mobile it isn't.

That's odd, they do on mine, which I'm posting on.

I have the setting at 40 posts/page on though, maybe that makes a difference.

• Advertisement

So a black African who knows about cows knows more about Irish culture an Irishman who doesn’t know about cows. Have a biscuit and a sit down there my love.
    What the hell is with all this bitterness? Whats wrong with admitting that dublin has less Irish culture than rural parts of Ireland? Its not an opinion, its a historical FACT.

Well no it’s not a historical fact. Dublin was not just floated in by the British it’s been a part of Ireland for just as long as the rest of the country. Can you please explained your point of view?

Not on mobile it isn't.

its a caravan not a mobile,
    ****in culchies tryin to be posh
    :D

If I were a culchie I'd have to find an insult in there somewhere, but - since I'm not - you're off the hook.

Did I mention "....home" ?

Just coz de Dubs try to be cool using rhyming slang or the Yankee term "cellphone"

not on my iPhone
    Not on mobile it isn't.

That's odd, they do on mine, which I'm posting on.

I have the setting at 40 posts/page on though, maybe that makes a difference.

so AGAIN what is post 167 that we were a perfect example of?

Turpentine wrote: »
    Get up out of it will you.

Not even every farmer keeps bloody cows.

And that's not to mention coastal towns whose main industry was fishing.

I suggest you learn more about your own country before beating your chest saying "I know lots about cows! I'm the most Irish man here!"
    +1
    If I were a culchie I'd have to find an insult in there somewhere, but - since I'm not - you're off the hook.

Just coz de Dubs try to be cool using rhyming slang or the Yankee term "cellphone"

You have obviously never been to dublin , you have only heard horror stories from your father deseigned to make you stay at home and work his farm. Nobody in dublin calls it a cellphone or the word Yankee for that matter . Sometimes when its cold out we get down on all fours and say jaysus Im fresian mooooooo but that is just for comedic expression.

I WAS going to repost it, but with that attitude,

Read the thread. :p

So a black African who knows about cows knows more about Irish culture an Irishman who doesn’t know about cows. Have a biscuit and a sit down there my love.

Aw when are they going to invent a facepalm smiley FFS. If yiz read the actual relevant posts, you would see the context. It was nothing to do with "cows", and all to do with Gaelic culture. I gave Liam Byrne a licking with his own glibness. And Doc, that kind of condecending remark is low brow and unnescessary, especially when YOU failed to see the context.

He's talking about people from small towns who complain about persecution from the big bad Dubs, but then in turn look down on more rural types

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77077255&postcount=167

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I've worked in London with a lot of Dubs over the years.

It always made me laugh when I heard them carrying on like the OP over there.

To use his Waterford / Blanchardstown analogy, you could stick the entire city of Dublin into a corner of London and no one would notice.

However, the OP sounds like he has never set foot out of Dublin in his life.

Poor lad.

Aw when are they going to invent a facepalm smiley FFS. If yiz read the actual relevant posts, you would see the context. It was nothing to do with "cows", and all to do with Gaelic culture. I gave Liam Byrne a licking with his own glibness. And Doc, that kind of condecending remark is low brow and unnescessary, especially when YOU failed to see the context.

Why are you trying to lick Liam?

You obviously haven't a clue about the broad wealth of Irish culture and assume that all Gaelic culture is encompassed in your own little world of milking heifers.

• Advertisement

You have obviously never been to dublin , you have only heard horror stories from your father deseigned to make you stay at home and work his farm. Nobody in dublin calls it a cellphone or the word Yankee for that matter . Sometimes when its cold out we get down on all fours and say jaysus Im fresian mooooooo but that is just for comedic expression.

:rolleyes:

cassi wrote: »
    jimpump wrote: »
    having a friendly conversation. asking about his family,fave football team, being nice and polite.

but then he lost it when i asked will he be going back 'down the country' for the weekend

Me thinks there is more the story than this! Still don't know why he couldn't just say Waterford!

I think I spotted the "more to the story"!!!

Maybe the Deise lad mentioned that Waterford was obviously his favourite football team but that he also liked Waterford United and - for example - Liverpool soccer teams ?

That'd confuse any Dub!

I know surprisingly little about cows.

Goodnight.

Er - lived and worked there temporarily. So post fail.

Dad never owned or worked a farm. So post fail. Again.

You're also forgetting - again - that there are other cities and thereby confusing me with an actual culchie.

Maybe the Deise lad mentioned that Waterford was obviously his favourite football team but that he also liked Waterford United and - for example - Liverpool soccer teams ?

That'd confuse any Dub!

Maybe it'd confuse one of the dumber ones, just like it would confuse one of the dumber Limerick or Galway or Cork natives. Or someone with zero interest in football.
    You're also forgetting - again - that there are other cities and thereby confusing me with an actual culchie.

Post #167?

When you were in Dublin did you hear people calling a phone a cell??
    Be honest now its only tuesday mornin , you will have to hold the lie in till the weekend confession if you tell it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Curva Sud

No,not at all.

He's talking about people from small towns who complain about persecution from the big bad Dubs, but then in turn look down on more rural types

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77077255&postcount=167

Thank you Turpentine.

To whoever was the poster making the ill-informed assumptions - I was born and reared in the big shmoke itself.

I'll look down on whoever I feel like looking down on but I will stand by my previous assertion that it must be annoying for people in all other areas of ireland to be described as people who come from 'the country' by dubs, regardless of if they are from a city / town / rural countryside.

Since when did observing a difference equate to criticising?

That'd confuse any Dub!

Maybe it'd confuse one of the dumber ones, just like it would confuse one of the dumber Limerick or Galway or Cork natives. Or someone with zero interest in football.

It's generally Dubs that use the word to refer to soccer though.

Post #167?

What about it ? There are no post numbers on mobile so I can't check what it says.

When you were in Dublin did you hear people calling a phone a cell??
    Be honest now its only tuesday mornin , you will have to hold the lie in till the weekend confession if you tell it now.

To be fair only Tony Fenton.

The rest of the Dubs were referring to their accommodation in the 'joy ;)

It's generally Dubs that use the word to refer to soccer though.

Oh, you were making a GAA reference, very drol. I have no interest in sport so that divisive little comment went straight over my head

What about it ? There are no post numbers on mobile so I can't check what it says.

Check just above the post I'm quoting here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement