Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the saying 'Down the country' offend any culchies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Well if Dundalk is looking for it then Clonmel demands the same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

If Galways a city then so is Dundalk.

As far as i am aware the classification of a city is different from country to country and boils down to population per square kilometer.

No idea what the numbers are for Ireland though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Ok lets add Drogheda, Swords, Bray, Navan, Ennis, Tralee, Kilkenny, Carlow and Balbriggan to the list of burgeoning metropolises.

While were at it, if population density is a factor, The 3rd City of Ireland should be the City of Tallaght. with around 100k+. (It's officially 90k but I am factoring in all the gangsters hiding out.)

:)

Ok lets add Drogheda, Swords, Bray, Navan, Ennis, Tralee, Kilkenny, Carlow and Balbriggan to the list of burgeoning metropolises.

While were at it, if population density is a factor, The 3rd City of Ireland should be the City of Tallaght. with around 100k+. (It's officially 90k but I am factoring in all the gangsters hiding out.)

Well there is currently a campaign to get Tallaght "city" status as far as i am aware.

Well there is currently a campaign to get Tallaght "city" status as far as i am aware.
    :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Seriously! Just found a web page for it.

http://www.tallaghtcitycampaign.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Have a Scouse friend who works in a bar in Liverpool. He didn't know alot about Ireland in terms of Geography, I told him where Dublin was, Galway, Cork, Clare etc on a blank map and where the North's border is and provinces etc. A few months ago a bunch of Irish lads came into the pub he works in and he being interested in Ireland asked them where they were from in Ireland, one lad said Dublin. My friend said he had a Irish mate from Clare to which the Dublin guy said where is that ? Dublin is the only place that matters :D Culchie is like saying We have Dublin and the rest of people from anywhere else are people that don't have tv's or electricity. Down the country I can accept do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

TheZohan wrote: »
    Cork is waaaaay better at welcoming the Queen than Dublin is.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Don't call me bud , I'm from Dublin yes, but that doesn't mean I go around wearing tracksuits calling everyone bud, smoking Johnny blue and drinking cans of dutchy asking people if they have any hash or odds on them.

I used to think you were cool :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Have a Scouse friend who works in a bar in Liverpool. He didn't know alot about Ireland in terms of Geography, I told him where Dublin was, Galway, Cork, Clare etc on a blank map and where the North's border is and provinces etc. A few months ago a bunch if Irish lads came into the pub he works in and he being interested in Ireland asked them where they were from in Ireland, one lad said Dublin. My friend said he had a Irish mate from Clare to which the Dublin guy said where is that ? Dublin is the only place that matters :D Culchie is like saying We have Dublin and the rest of people from anywhere else are people that don't have tv's or electricity. Down the country I can accept do :)

That's pretty bad alright. But I know plenty of Dubs and non-Dubs who think they themselves are Scousers and Mancs. You'll see it in any pub on a weekend. Boys from the same town calling each other Mersey filth and Manc dirt etc. Laughable!!! It's cringeworthy as f*ck. Talk about identity crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's pretty bad alright. But I know plenty of Dubs and non-Dubs who think they themselves are Scousers and Mancs. You'll see it in any pub on a weekend. Boys from the same town calling each other Mersey filth and Manc dirt etc. Laughable!!! It's cringeworthy as f*ck. Talk about identity crisis.
    Tell me about it :D I've seen enough of posts about Suarez and Evra being scumbags from idiots on facebook for the last month :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Lads, it's not that difficult to check the actual facts.....any place that had a cathedral or was granted a charter is a city; it's not based on population density or anything remotely like that! It's not like you can arbitrarily class a group of 10 people is automatically as a family while ignoring an actual family of 3 because it it is smaller!

Then again, people here aren't the only ones getting it wrong :

http://www.travelmath.com/cities-in/Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Omackeral wrote: »

Its gas stuff alright, although its repeated in bars the length and breath of this island. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Lads, it's not that difficult to check the actual facts.....any place that had a cathedral or was granted a charter is a city; it's not based on population density or anything remotely like that! It's not like you can arbitrarily class a group of 10 people is automatically as a family while ignoring an actual family of 3 because it it is smaller!

Then again, people here aren't the only ones getting it wrong :

http://www.travelmath.com/cities-in/Ireland

Along with the two shopping centres and the sex shop that someone already mentioned, Carlow also has a cathedral but is not a city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I find it hilarious that people from "cities" like Cork or Galway think that they're not mud slinging savages.

why don't you walk down one of the estates in galway or cork and call the folk that live in those areas mud slinging savages and see where it gets you, you can start in corrib park in galway :rolleyes:
    nadey wrote: »
    Galway aint a city

theres like 1 shopping centre in the whole town

its practically a village that is smaller than coolock,swords,clondalkin etc.

lol galway is far bigger than swords, lived in galway for a few years and been to swords many times, actually walking up main street in swords it looks smaller than many towns such as sligo, athlone etc and for someone who claims to live in galway he doesn't know that galway has two main shopping centres (corribcourt and galway shopping centre on the headford road) :eek:
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Lads, it's not that difficult to check the actual facts.....any place that had a cathedral or was granted a charter is a city

not true, elphin in roscommon has a cathedral and isn't or never was called a city
    If Galways a city then so is Dundalk.

?? you could fit the whole of dundalk on the west side of galway easily, in fact dundalk and swords combined are smaller than galway http://i39.tinypic.com/35inipu.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Don't call me bud , I'm from Dublin yes, but that doesn't mean I go around wearing tracksuits calling everyone bud, smoking Johnny blue and drinking cans of dutchy asking people if they have any hash or odds on them.

Sorry to dissapoint you and your stereotypical narrow world view.

Shtoory bud?

Relax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

rossie1977 wrote: »
    not true, elphin in roscommon has a cathedral and isn't or never was called a city
    Traditionally, one of the requirements to being a city was having a cathedral. Others, off the top of my head, were having a university or having a charter.

Elphin, does not have a cathedral. The cathedral for the diocese of Elphin is in Sligo. For this reason some in Sligo claim it to be a city in the traditional sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Ballaghaderreen has a cathedral and I have never heard it being described as a city.

Traditionally, one of the requirements to being a city was having a cathedral. Others, off the top of my head, were having a university or having a charter.

Clonfert has a Cathedral, and there isn't even a pub in Clonfert.

Origainally on these islands, the granting of city status was done by royal charter. This is still the case in the UK, with Lisburn and Newry receiving city status for the Queen's silver jubilee a decade ago.

In the republic, a city is recognised by the establishment of a county borough. We don't grant city status here as such. Therefore there is nothing to stop any town referring to itself as a city. Even Elphin, Ballaghadereen or Clonfert.

Dublin, Galway, Cork, Limerick and Waterford are cities in the true sense because some member of the British Royal Family granted them charters long before independence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

AS foreigner I can't see any significant difference between the country and Dublin. The whole Ireland is very conservative (I come from similar hole) and no part of Ireland has the cosmopolitan feel that other major European cities have. But then again, that is what makes Ireland so attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

analucija wrote: »
    AS foreigner I can't see any significant difference between the country and Dublin. The whole Ireland is very conservative (I come from similar hole) and no part of Ireland has the cosmopolitan feel that other major European cities have. But then again, that is what makes Ireland so attractive.

Possibly my favourite ever post.I tip my hat to you Ma'am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Ok, lets clear up the cities thing.

The 2001 Local Government act defines the cities in Ireland as: Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford, with their own city councils. It also contained a provision that Kilkenny may continue to be described as a city, although it doesn't have a city council.

It has nothing to do with size, royal charters, or cathedrals.

There's even a helpful explanation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_status_in_Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I didn't realise I could get upset by this, I will naturally begin throwing a sissy fit anytime I hear anyone using this sentence, other than if it comes from someone from down the country as it's ok if we say it because it's not racist that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Seriously! Just found a web page for it.

http://www.tallaghtcitycampaign.com/

please god no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

At the end of the day, I don't think anywhere can truly be called a city unless it has an opera house, a magical stone granting kisser's the gift of the gab and perhaps most importantly a butter museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

What is said:

"People from (insert town/city/county/country) are (insert generalisation) because I'm not from there."

What I hear:

"Hi! I'm a dribbling retard! Shun me!"

rossie1977 wrote: »

Which is what I said earlier - a cathedral or a charter - with the added "university".

Mind you, given that a made-up, non-existent "county" is looking to have a made-up city, traditional definitions are being abandoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

How come you can slag culchies or dubs without getting infracted but if you slag fat people you get banned out of the ah for a few days.
    Culchies and Dubs cant help where they are born , fat people can help being fat .
    This is ll I have to say on the matter.

Homer Simpson: Hey , Dont you hate pants.
    Its a metaphor you wont get it.

cloptrop wrote: »
    How come you can slag culchies or dubs without getting infracted but if you slag fat people you get banned out of the ah for a few days.
    Culchies and Dubs cant help where they are born , fat people can help being fat .
    This is ll I have to say on the matter.

Homer Simpson: Hey , Dont you hate pants.
    Its a metaphor you wont get it.

I like the cut of your jib!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I grew up in Dublin and we had to chase sheep out of the classroom in our school! We then moved to Cork where I was suddenly in school right in the city centre and it was a totally different and very gritty, busy and absolutely urban.

However, my Dublin former neighbours were all still going on about "oh it must be weird living down the country! Do you have shops and stuff?" (While looking out the window at mooing cows and sheep wandering on their lawn!)

Making the assumption that there's "Dublin" and "Down the Country" is absolute nonsense. There are other very urban areas i.e. Cork, Galway, Limerick etc and even the large towns are quite urban in most respects.

Then there are areas of Co. Dublin that are rural as West Kerry. It just depends on where you are!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Sorry to dissapoint you and your stereotypical narrow world view.

Never said you did. I just pointed out that dublins culture is traditionally dominated by english culture moreso than anywhere else in Ireland. So keep your rapier in your scabbard, dear boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

One of the biggest boggers I know is a Dub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Culchies also say "im going up to Dublin", even if there from Meath or Offaly when there actually heading down or east/across in Offalys case.:confused:
    Think it shows how they see Dublin as being higher or greater then there little backward village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

newmug wrote: »
    Never said you did. I just pointed out that dublins culture is traditionally dominated by english culture moreso than anywhere else in Ireland. So keep your rapier in your scabbard, dear boy.

I found this post hilarious the whole rapier thing . Well played old chap.
    Now you say dublin culture is english.
    Ive been to England they have alot of farms. Does this mean farmers in Ireland get their culture from English farms.

I find it hilarious that people from "cities" like Cork or Galway think that they're not mud slinging savages.

I find it hilarious that people trying to be smug unnecessarily put references in quotes when referring to the actual item of that description.

Did you use your "computer" to type that "message" on the "internet" ? Or maybe it was your "smartphone" ?

You're quite a "man" alright ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

Solair wrote: »
    Then there are areas of Co. Dublin that are rural as West Kerry. It just depends on where you are!

yeah, that's county Dublin. it's kind of different and yeah, they do count as savages as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

jimpump wrote: »
    So a new fella from waterford town started at my work and while having a conversation with him he took offense when we referred to him as being from 'down the country'

he let us know in no uncertain terms that waterford town is actually a city(lol) even though its probably smaller than blanchardstown. and he really takes offense to being called a culchie or bogger

To be honest i dont think he will last much longer at the job as we all get on well here and have the craic and banter but this guy seems to be a bit too sensitive. we would gladly buy a train ticket for him to head back to where he came from

so is this guy a one off, or do other culchies get offended like this chap over remarks about being from the bog?
    Yet another thread by a Jackeen on Dublin v rest of the country :mad: When will Jackeens get over the fact that nobody gives a sh1t whether they think they are better than everyone else :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

cloptrop wrote: »
    I found this post hilarious the whole rapier thing . Well played old chap.
    Now you say dublin culture is english.
    Ive been to England they have alot of farms. Does this mean farmers in Ireland get their culture from English farms.

I dunno what your obsession with farms / farmers is, you keep bringing it up. Typical of the un-learned dub thinking everything outside dublin is one giant farm.

But in answer to your question, if said english farmers spoke Gaelic, then possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭vixdname

I had the misfortune of working with a girl from Dublin when I worked for Ryanair a few years ago. I was about an hour from finishing work and said I was looking forward to heading home to Waterford for the weekend, meeting my mates and heading out on the tear.
    The poor idiot girl pipes up and in all ignorance says, "Where will yas go ? Will yas head down to yar local ta-ni for a few ?"
    I tell her that I'll meet my mates in Waterford city, go to a few bars and probably end up in a late bar or nightclub, to this she says "Do yis have ni-clubs an-all in Waterford ? I didnt know da, I just thought yis-id just go to a country pub and drink dare ?
    I, over the next 10 mins or so, explained to an open mouthed girl that Waterford was a city, with housing estates, shopping centres, gyms, sports grounds, a third level institute and various other facilities that someone living in the 21st century could enjoy.
    Its a pity to have to say it, but this type of idiocy isnt in an way an isolated phenomena, theres plenty of dubs that believe the same as this poor fool did.
    Dontget my wrong, I have many great friends from Dublin, and the thankfully the type I speak about above is in the minority and usually from the inner city with limited education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'm totally off topic but I'm going mental to find my phone. The cat has hidden it somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!n Can anyone be nice enough to ring me????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

i have found that from experience , everyone i have ever met from Dublin truly are proud of where they are from, but also truly believe the rest of the country envy's them for living there? they do not believe that you would rather live in your home town , city .. then live in Dublin, and when you get insulted at their ignorance of your pride from where you are from, they call it a bit of banter ! another thing they think is their own , nothing like the Dublin wit , sure the rest of just culchies dont get it at all! has anyone been called a mulchie ? i was told a culchie is fine but mulchie is an insult!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Culchies also say "im going up to Dublin", even if there from Meath or Offaly when there actually heading down or east/across in Offalys case.:confused:
    Think it shows how they see Dublin as being higher or greater then there little backward village.

Nobody I know says this

Wrong.

The term 'up to Dublin' stems from the time the railways were being built in the 19th century. It was adapted (like everything else) from the British.

When the railways were being built in Britain using double tracks, the 'Up Line' was the one with trains that ran towards London, while the 'Down Line' carried trains from London, (regardless of direction).

The same principle applied in Ireland.

You Dubs really are an uneducated lot. :rolleyes:

From Wiki

United Kingdom
    In British practice, railway directions are usually described as up and down, with up being towards a major location. This convention is applied not only to the trains and the tracks, but also to items of lineside equipment and to areas near a track. Since British trains run on the left, the up side of a line is on the left when proceeding in the up direction. The names originate from the early railways, where trains would run up the hills to the mines, and down to the ports.
    On most of the network, up is the direction towards London.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Cant we all just get along? Lets have a nice cup of tea.

newmug wrote: »

Rapier on your scabbard?

Dear boy?

And you're accusing *Dublin* of being more Queen's English culture?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

In defense of Dublinpeople, it is in general, the lower socio-economic groups and working uneducated class that consider anywhere outside of the greater Dublin area as "the country".

I spent 6 years in college in Dublin (4 in TCD, 2 in UCD) and very rarely heard any Dubliners referring to other counties as "down the country". Main reason being is that most of these people are educated and realise that to say such a thing would be the height of ignorance and display a complete lack of basic knowledge and respect.

However, once I started to work in Dublin and interacted with Northsiders, people from the likes of Tallaght etc., knackers and junkies I heard this colloquialism all the time. (Basically anyone with a thick Dublin accent).

Sometimes I tried to educate them in the error of their ways, but more often than not you are pissing against the wind, as their lack of geographical knowledge is usually the least of their problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

I'm a proud Dub but a year or two back I was working with a girl from the southside.. Crumlin I think. She was saying she wanted to go somewhere for new years. I suggested Galway. She looked at me bamboozled and asked "Yeah but will there be place to go out to there?" --- Needless to say I never talked to her again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

In defense of Dublinpeople, it is in general, the lower socio-economic groups and working uneducated class that consider anywhere outside of the greater Dublin area as "the country".

I spent 6 years in college in Dublin (4 in TCD, 2 in UCD) and very rarely heard any Dubliners referring to other counties as "down the country". Main reason being is that most of these people are educated and realise that to say such a thing would be the height of ignorance and display a complete lack of basic knowledge and respect.

However, once I started to work in Dublin and interacted with Northsiders, people from the likes of Tallaght etc., knackers and junkies I heard this colloquialism all the time. (Basically anyone with a thick Dublin accent).

Sometimes I tried to educate them in the error of their ways, but more often than not you are pissing against the wind, as their lack of geographical knowledge is usually the least of their problems.
    "Interacted with Northsiders,Tallaght etc?" You do realise Tallaght is on the southside don't you? I'd also suggest you venture to the northside and walk around Clontarf, Raheny, Sutton, Griffith Ave, Howth, Malahide and Portmarnock. It might educate you and make you realise all northsiders don't have "thick Dublin accents"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

TheTwiz wrote: »
    "Interacted with Northsiders,Tallaght etc?" You do realise Tallaght is on the southside don't you? I'd also suggest you venture to the northside and walk around Clontarf, Raheny, Sutton, Griffith Ave, Howth, Malahide and Portmarnock. It might educate you and make you realise all northsiders don't have "thick Dublin accents"

Ah leave him alone, he's from down de country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Karen112 wrote: »
    I'm totally off topic but I'm going mental to find my phone. The cat has hidden it somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!n Can anyone be nice enough to ring me????

:D Do cats down the country do that :D also whats your number ;):p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement