Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the saying 'Down the country' offend any culchies?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

TheTwiz wrote: »
    "Interacted with Northsiders,Tallaght etc?" You do realise Tallaght is on the southside don't you? I'd also suggest you venture to the northside and walk around Clontarf, Raheny, Sutton, Griffith Ave, Howth, Malahide and Portmarnock. It might educate you and make you realise all northsiders don't have "thick Dublin accents"

You know what I mean, inner city Northside areas and knacker parts, like Tallaght, Blanch, Drinmagh, Crumlin..

And obviously by southside I would infer the middle-upper class areas, not the likes of Tallaght.

In short, anywhere where people speak with the stereotypical dublin "howya" accent, be they knackers or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

You know what I mean, inner city Northside areas and knacker parts, like Tallaght, Blanch, Drinmagh, Crumlin..

And obviously by southside I would infer the middle-upper class areas, not the likes of Tallaght.

In short, anywhere where people speak with the stereotypical dublin "howya" accent, be they knackers or not!

Wow. "The likes of Tallaght". FFS.:mad: "Down the country" doesn't seem so bad after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Freddie59 wrote:
    Wow. "The likes of Tallaght". FFS. "Down the country" doesn't seem so bad after all.

Many Dubs have no issues issuing a similar slur re a similarly sized urban area/city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

You know what I mean, inner city Northside areas and knacker parts, like Tallaght, Blanch, Drimnagh, Crumlin..

And obviously by south side I would infer the middle-upper class areas, not the likes of Tallaght.

Just for the info :) Tallaght is a huge suburban area and would have lots of different sub areas in it,With many middle class familes living there,People saying tallaght this or that obvisously to me dont know the area,Its a bit like saying all of limerick is moyross or the Island,Thank you :)

PS Tallaght is so big that there are/were efforts to make Tallaght a city in its own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Bambi wrote: »
    Its sorta funny when culchies try to let on that they're not culchies. Ireland has three indigenous ethnic groups lads, nordies, culchies and dubs. Thats it.

25 counties = the exact same people.

Fountain of knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

Okay so let me get this straight when you think northside you think inner city ( fair enough) but you also think Tallaght, Drimnagh and Crumlin?

Okay so let me get this straight when you think northside you think inner city ( fair enough) but you also think Tallaght, Drimnagh and Crumlin?

No, but I'm on about the way they speak. Tallaght might be massive with many different areas but how many people from there speak without the thick, stereotypical Dublin accent?

realies wrote: »
    Just for the info :) Tallaght is a huge suburban area and would have lots of different sub areas in it,With many middle class familes living there,People saying tallaght this or that obvisously to me dont know the area,Its a bit like saying all of limerick is moyross or the Island,Thank you :)

PS Tallaght is so big that there are/were efforts to make Tallaght a city in its own right.

Well said. 100,000 people give or take in Tallaght. I know very well off pharmacists etc who live there. They're not knackers or speak with "thick Dublin accents"

To conclude this thread. In summary. Dublin people think people outside of Dublin are muck savage farmers with no electricty. Country people think Dublin is full of knackers

I already clarified. I was talking about lower socio-economic areas in genereal. Obviously, geographically, Summerhill, Drimnagh and Tallaght are miles apart but people all sound the same from there irrespectively and they all have similiar social problems.

• Advertisement

No, but I'm on about the way they speak. Tallaght might be massive with many different areas but how many people from there speak without the thick, stereotypical Dublin accent?

I would say about 30 to 40% of people

I already clarified. I was talking about lower socio-economic areas in genereal. Obviously, geographically, Summerhill, Drimnagh and Tallaght are miles apart but people all sound the same from there irrespectively and they all have similiar social problems.

Yes but you also used the term "northside" implying the whole area speaks with thick Dublin accents etc and are clueless to outside Dublin. That's like me saying "country people are all clueless" to describe the other 31 counties but only really meaning a certain area.

Well said. 100,000 people give or take in Tallaght. I know very well off pharmacists etc who live there. They're not knackers or speak with "thick Dublin accents"

No you don't. Anyone with a decent wage would quickly uproot I'm sure.
    To conclude this thread. In summary. Dublin people think people outside of Dublin are muck savage farmers with no electricty. Country people think Dublin is full of knackers

Gross generalisation there. Not all Dublin people are knackers. But the majority of those who use terms like "down the country" and have no knowledge of anywhere outside of Dublin tend to be poorly educated and from the lower classes.

There are plenty of educated Dubliners from decent areas who would never dream of referring to other cities as down the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

LOL

The way some in this thread post about Tallagh and the northside you would swear they are are both big ghettos or concentration camps. Now I hate Northsiders who last year burnt out my car then bent my bike frame from trying to rob it. But perhaps those scumbags came to the northside from down the Tallagh.

Nah I am from the northside, a so called tough area, but I can genuinely say, because I know it is true, 99.99% of the people are the salt of the Earth. Its just that tiny minority that Fuk it up for the rest of us and that is not an areas fault, it is a policing and political failure.

Gross generalisation there. Not all Dublin people are knackers. But the majority of those who use terms like "down the country" and have no knowledge of anywhere outside of Dublin tend to be poorly educated and from the lower classes.

There are plenty of educated Dubliners from decent areas who would never dream of referring to other cities as down the country.

You're accusing me of lying?

Yes but you also used the term "northside" implying the whole area speaks with thick Dublin accents etc and are clueless to outside Dublin. That's like me saying "country people are all clueless" to describe the other 31 counties but only really meaning a certain area.

No, Tallaght irrespective of it's size is still just a large suburb of Dublin. As is Drimnagh, Blanch etc. They are all in the same county.

To bunch them together as they are in the same county is understandable.

To group Cork, Galway and Carlow simply because they are not part of Dublin is ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I use these expressions and they are totally meaningless. I am a walker and hiker so I "go down the country" alot", I also go "up to the north" or I am going "over to the southside" (with great reluctance of course) and I go "into town".

They are just geographical directional expressions to me. There is absolutely NO OTHER MEANING.

No, Tallaght irrespective of it's size is still just a large suburb of Dublin. As is Drimnagh, Blanch etc. They are all in the same county.

To bunch them together as they are in the same county is understandable.

To group Cork, Galway and Carlow simply because they are not part of Dublin is ignorance.

I have never "grouped Cork, Galway and Carlow simply because they are not part of Dublin" However you my friend grouped the whole of the northside together. That's what we call ignorance

I have never "grouped Cork, Galway and Carlow simply because they are not part of Dublin" However you my friend grouped the whole of the northside together. That's what we call ignorance

If you have ever used the term "down the country" or "country" in any way to refer to any county other than Dublin then you have grouped other counties as such.

Grouping different parts of the same county isn't as bad, I still acknowledge they are all in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭veloc123

Being from Dublin doesn't mean everyone else is a culchie.

No it means everyone else is Polish these days....

I know very well off pharmacists etc who live there.

So he knows people in a place, and you think he doesn't because you think anyone who would be there would leave?

Am I the only one seeing a big problem with the argument here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Making sweeping generalisations about people who live in more working class areas of Dublin is not quite as bad as not being able to differentiate between other cities and rural areas in Ireland... But not vastly different.

Referring to cities as countryside is ignorant.

Calling people from Dublin working class areas knackers based on that information alone is prejudiced.

Saying 'down' the country is an expression which came from an old-fashioned language convention.

So he knows people in a place, and you think he doesn't because you think anyone who would be there would leave?

Am I the only one seeing a big problem with the argument here?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Funny, every Dubliner I've ever met has divided Dublin between northside and southside. Obviously this means that they "grouped the whole of the northside together". You just did it yourself!

If you have ever used the term "down the country" or "country" in any way to refer to any county other than Dublin then you have grouped other counties as such.

Grouping different parts of the same county isn't as bad, I still acknowledge they are all in Dublin.

No. If i'm going to Wexford i say "I'm going down to Wexford" or "up to Donegal" Is there something wrong with say up or down? If there is i apologise. I reside on the northside therfore i'm stupid even though i've a university degree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Funny, every Dubliner I've ever met has divided Dublin between northside and southside. Obviously this means that they "grouped the whole of the northside together". You just did it yourself!

what do you mean by grouping? If someone says "where do you live, is it on the northside or the southside of the river" I will answer according to which side I'm living on.

That whole northside southside rivalry ended about ten years ago, total rubbish as living in Dublin full-stop and not having to commute from some cardboard Newtown meant you were doing ok. There are loads of parts of the northside which are very affluent, anyone who has taken a wander around malahide / clontarf knows this.

I grew up on the southside, I've never heard any of my friends describe themselves as southsiders, I certainly wouldn't only blow-ins go on with that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

analucija wrote: »
    AS foreigner I can't see any significant difference between the country and Dublin. The whole Ireland is very conservative (I come from similar hole) and no part of Ireland has the cosmopolitan feel that other major European cities have. But then again, that is what makes Ireland so attractive.

Exactly, i'm from a small town in Waterford and we called the girls that came to school on the bus 'culchies' even though they were a couple of miles out the road. Its the same thing as Dubliners calling the rest of the country 'culchies' We all live on a tiny dot on the face of the earth and we're all 'culchies' to the rest of the world. :P

I don't find the term 'down the country' or 'culchies' or 'bogmen' or anything like that in the least bit offensive but 'scumbag' or 'knacker' or the like are very offensive and only a very small minded person would call somebody one of those names based on where they live.

No. If i'm going to Wexford i say "I'm going down to Wexford" or "up to Donegal" Is there something wrong with say up or down? If there is i apologise. I reside on the northside therfore i'm stupid even though i've a university degree

Well then you do not belong to the class of person I referred to in my first post on the topic. (my gross geographical generalization accepted)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭munster87

Could someone from the inner city use the term culchie for someone say from swords

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

As I understand things unless you were born in the Dublin Liberties area of

Dublin you were not a Dublin Jackeen......you were a culchie ......:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I've a bucket of tar here if anyone wants some more on their brush

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

That's ridiculous. They may have bought at the height of the 'boom' and work in Tallaght, so it might have made sense. I know a pharmacist who's living in a fairly dodgy part of the northside because she bought when apartments were so expensive and couldn't buy elsewhere. She's stuck there, now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Rapier on your scabbard?

Dear boy?

And you're accusing *Dublin* of being more Queen's English culture?

Here, this might help you:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

There are plenty of educated Dubliners from poor areas too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

There are plenty of educated Dubliners from poor areas too.

Of course there are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I am from Coolock, grew up right beside Darndale and I don't speak with a 'knacker' accent. Some of the most succesful people I know are from 'knacker' parts. These include senior software developers, business managers, accountants, doctors etc.

It's all down to the quality of the parents, not the area. Someones parents can be 'knackers' living in Dalkey just as someones parents can be professors living in Finglas.

Also , areas change over time in affluency. There was a time when areas that are now of bad repute were once highly desirable 'middle class' areas.
    There are areas now that once were considered 'yuppy' which are on the way downhill.

Good and bad people come from everywhere. Class is a state of character not a socio-economic term anymore. This isnt feudal England. We done away with crap like that when we got rid of the monarchy. Of course there are still a few idiots who cling to the ideal for dear life, God knows they have little else to be proud of other then a post code.

;) Yes they could move to ,knocklyon,Bancroft, Old Bawn, most of Aylesbury, Kingswood,Belgard Heights,citywest,kiltipper,firhouse or even newer estates such as De Selby, Mountain View, The Belfry, Ardmore, Westbrook Glen, Saggart Abbey, Verschoyle and Carrigmore :) O wait there in tallaght silly me :rolleyes:

I say all the people who live on those estates have "thick Dublin accents" too. A lot of people outside of Dublin seem to think that

realies wrote: »
    ;) Yes they could move to ,knocklyon,Bancroft, Old Bawn, most of Aylesbury, Kingswood,Belgard Heights,citywest,kiltipper,firhouse or even newer estates such as De Selby, Mountain View, The Belfry, Ardmore, Westbrook Glen, Saggart Abbey, Verschoyle and Carrigmore :) O wait there in tallaght silly me :rolleyes:

Yes they are in Tallaght, would anyone honestly choose to live in those estates?

• Advertisement

I say all the people who live on those estates have "thick Dublin accents" too. A lot of people outside of Dublin seem to think that

My point exactly.

And statistically, the amount of people with a "thick Dublin accent" who don't use the term as "down the country" is very, very small.

Are you not generalising?

Are you not generalising?

Nope, if was generalizing I would have said EVERYBODY speaks like that.

Yes they are in Tallaght, would anyone honestly choose to live in those estates?

Are you serious :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

lol

Do you think we are all being held in Tallaght against our will? I better let all my family and friends know.

Youre a card. You are whinging about ignorant people lumping all culchie towns together and then lumping all of Tallaght and all of Northside Dublin together.

Id far rather live in Tallaght than in some nomark rural backwater full of kissin cousins. Youd swear it was a crime to be working class by reading this board.

CiaranC wrote: »
    lol

Do you think we are all being held in Tallaght against our will? I better let all my family and friends know.

Youre a card. You are whinging about ignorant people lumping all culchie towns together and then lumping all of Tallaght and all of Northside Dublin together.

Id far rather live in Tallaght than in some nomark rural backwater full of kissin cousins. Youd swear it was a crime to be working class by reading this board.

Eh, I live in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Eh, I live in Dublin.

Can you tell us where so we can all avoid it so?

He probably lives Kilmainham which he thinks is in the south east of Dublin given the geographical knowledge he's displayed so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

CiaranC wrote: »
    lol

Id far rather live in Tallaght than in some nomark rural backwater .

Why?

Why?

Oh I dont know, maybe because of the hospital, college, hotels, the theatre, dozens of sports clubs, gyms, swimming pools, M50 links to the city and country, extensive industry and abundant jobs, shopping, the countries most extensive public transport links, the parks, a dozen schools, the IT infrastructure, the libraries, the proximity to both the city and the Dublin mountains, the football stadium, affordable housing, good pubs, modern industrial parks...

Altough there are people who have the cheek to be working class there, so I guess it balances out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Eh, I live in Dublin.

You might reside in Dublin but you live somewhere very different and very strange

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement