Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new hedge plan

Options
  • 13-02-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I'm going to get 100+m of 25/30ft high leylandi hacked to bits, leaving about 4 or 5ft of each trunk, bear of branches. I then intend tacking chain link fence to the remaining trunks to keep the site secure. The soil beneath and around the leylandi will be dead, so I plan to rotavate and mix in a serious amount of 10-10-20 to breath in some life. In a years time I intend planting young laural to eventually regain privacy.

Would it be a good idea to purchase to cheapest bare root, 1ft laural now, put them in pots, feed and water them for the next year and when I feel the soil's in better shape I'll have much maturer plants.

Also, any flaws with my overall plan? Do I need to give the soil a year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Would the leylandi not sprout new shoots?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think the laylandii will sprout, but I think the soil will be in fairly poor condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ddel

If the leylandi could re-sprout I'd be delighted, but I'm afraid they just remain bare and dead looking, once trimmed to deeply. Had a quick look at one area of the leylandi and from the tip of the branches to the trunk is over 6 feet.

Advertisement