Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anpost mails not been delivered

Options
  • 13-02-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

Hi guys anpost fails to deliver most of my mails.

for instance last week i only received 60% of my mails and God knows were the rest are.

For the past 3days I have been expecting a mail from tipperay and it hasn't arrived, what can I do to sort this crap out.

On some days I even get letters which aren't even mine, am like WTF ?

Comments

I got a flyer through my door today from An Post saying they were changing delivery routes etc and warning that there might be delays or inconsistencies.

It didn't give any details other than to direct you to anpost.ie/timeschange

It could be that.

I noticed the same leaflet in my girlfriend's house in another part of town last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Seems to be a common enough one these days. Anpost should stick do what they are good at and that is handing out dole money. They should leave the nations postal need well enough alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Where in the country are you? Your best bet is to ring your local sorting office or anpost customer service if you can't get the number and explain your problem.

I see anpost getting a lot of slating here recently but from my own experience its been good. The only time I ever had issues with late or longer deliverys was when a new postman took over the round or my regular was out sick which is understandable.

Likewise I post a good few items daily and the majority arrive next day within Ireland. I've posted over 100 items by standard post in the past month and not one has been lost, stolen, ate by a machine or robbed from a wheelie bin. That's not to say it doesn't happen but thankfully my own experience is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Seems to be a common enough one these days. Anpost should stick do what they are good at and that is handing out dole money. They should leave the nations postal need well enough alone.

LOL wait until the postal service is totally privatised and then you will see how good a job an post actually do.

the amount of packages that the private couriors leave in our shop because they cant find/be bothered to find is unreal.

As for delivering to rural areas !! well when its gone private you will be lucky to get a weekly service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Shelflife wrote: »
    LOL wait until the postal service is totally privatised and then you will see how good a job an post actually do.

I have plenty of experience working with private courier companies, and they always provide a better service, and they charge the same as an post anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

As said already where are you living ? Is it a rural/ urban area ? Signposted well , number on door ? All mail being addressed perfectly by senders ? Any obstacles to effective delivery e.g dog , locked gates , blocked letterbox etc . Obviously it's not ideal having this situation , there is a change in every office in the country where postpersons will be taking on longer routes aswell as being changed from regular routes a lot of the time . For a lot of people this will obviously result in later delivery of mail both domestic and commercial .

As for this notion of couriers providing a better service , they don't unless its commercially viable for them . Delivery within city centres , large suburbs is easy to make a profit on , driving up a half mile boreen with a letter for 55 cent isn't as profitable as you might think . Certainly the system An Post operate is far from perfect , there is flaws within it but also customers dont help themselves , the amount of badly/incorrectly addressed mail is incredible . On a christmas delivery I was on last year I'd conservatively estimate about 10% of mail was not addressed as it should be .

The local knowledge is also something local couriers cannot compete with and is a reason a good percentage of badly addressed mail will still be delivered to the correct address .

My own advice would be to take notes of what you are waiting on and check the date stamp made by the sorting machines (on stamped envelopes only) and see does it correlate to delivery days . Shouldnt really be any more than day after date stamp to be honest .

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I have plenty of experience working with private courier companies, and they always provide a better service, and they charge the same as an post anyway.

I presume you are excluding GLS from that statement ? I also presume it's based on city deliveries seeing as couriers are rubbish out in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

How does OP know only 60% was received.

As for private couriers - all are dreadful. They never know where an address is and often just don't bother in rural areas.

In 50+ years I've only ever had exceptional service from An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

This is frustrating, and I've called themAnd made a complaint.

I live in Tyrrelstown the newly completed parts and it's a common thing that mailmen fail to deliver mails. I only get my tracking mail in full. Standard mails like unsaid only 60% of the times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ring An Post, I know the area of Tyrellstown you live in and if someone who didn't know the area walked into it, they'd think there was nobody living there.

• Advertisement

I only get my tracking mail in full. Standard mails like unsaid only 60% of the times.

Again I ask: How do you know you only receive 60% of untracked post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The main problem for couriers is that Ireland has completely whimsical addresses and no post codes.

It's near impossible to find anywhere outside of a town with street names using our current addressing "system" without having intimate local knowledge.

Even GPS is often no help as it'll just be a house name + townland.

BTW : An Post's in trouble with Comreg over delivery times:

From Irish Examiner:
    An Post faces €12m fine over failure to hit targets
    By Stephen Rogers
    Friday, February 10, 2012
    An Post is facing a fine of up to €12 million for its failure to reach delivery targets set by the communications regulator, ComReg.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/an-post-faces-12m-fine-over-failure-to-hit-targets-183302.html#ixzz1mSit1gbH

Solair wrote: »
    The main problem for couriers is that Ireland has completely whimsical addresses and no post codes.

It's near impossible to find anywhere outside of a town with street names using our current addressing "system" without having intimate local knowledge.

Even GPS is often no help as it'll just be a house name + townland.

True to a degree but An Post nevers fails to deliver our rural address if it's the regular postman or a relief one. Also, couriers are every bit as bad in urban areas; without a clue of how to find even the easiest of streets in some towns. An Post manages, so couriers should also be able to manage - irrespective of postcodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

True to a degree but An Post nevers fails to deliver our rural address if it's the regular postman or a relief one. Also, couriers are every bit as bad in urban areas; without a clue of how to find even the easiest of streets in some towns. An Post manages, so couriers should also be able to manage - irrespective of postcodes.

An Post use a sorting system and route numbers. So, the package/letter is still assigned to a local delivery office, with a walk/route number on it, relief or otherwise the postman/woman knows that area. They'll know that one particular route. Couriers have to cover much wider areas.

The problem is complete lack of information to anyone who doesn't have intimate knowledge of the area.

Without proper addresses, you can't expect to be found. It's basically an impossibility without directions.

We are not disagreeing - just seeing it from different angles. :) An Post do what needs to be done to deliver in Ireland and if couriers are taking on the task then they need to be fit for purpose and not blame the system in place when they took on the role. I'm all for competition but I also want a service that works and in that regard An post currently wins hands down for my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

Solair wrote: »
    An Post use a sorting system and route numbers. So, the package/letter is still assigned to a local delivery office, with a walk/route number on it, relief or otherwise the postman/woman knows that area. They'll know that one particular route. Couriers have to cover much wider areas.

The problem is complete lack of information to anyone who doesn't have intimate knowledge of the area.

Without proper addresses, you can't expect to be found. It's basically an impossibility without directions.

They've designed those route numbers and sorting themselves and they are gaining from that . Without route numbers , the 100k plus items that go through my local delivery office wouldnt have a hope of next day delivery . Also this figure of 84% , I have no idea where that is coming from , there is nothing left in our office any day only stuff that is sent off as badly/incorrectly addressed etc . If I had 900 letters tomorrow morning which would be very possible ComReg are saying only 756 are delivered ?

If the stuff doesnt get there next day a lot of the time its late posting after the last collection time on postboxes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Greglab

An post run the worst delivery service ever. They forge our signature for our registered mail and pop it in the mail box. They left an iPhone six on top of the mailbox two weeks ago and forged our signature again. These signatures are used in court to prove documents are delivered. They deliver green leaflets instead of the parcels even though we are there from 8:30am to 6:30pm. The postal service should be licenced to a private company.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread. Closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement