Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washing Machine brushes worn again

• 13-02-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I am wondering has anyone had a similiar problem, I have had a whirlpool washing machine for 8 years without any problem, 4 months ago the drum stopped turning, no big deal as the carbon brushes on the motor were done.
    I found a little workshop that fixes washing machines and he gave me a "new" pair, which I installed and it ran again straight away, however machine has stopped working already and brushes are gone again, anybody know why they have failed so quickly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You may have gotten a used set.

The motor should be removed and sent in it's entirety to be reconditioned or replaced, imo, correct fitting is just as important as the part going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Mr NoTV

You may have a worn commutator which will wear the brushes. After 8 years use it may be time to get a new machine... consider that to be good wear, I was told some years ago that 5 years is fair wear. The cheap old banger that I had for 14 years was considered exceptional but that was in the days when they made machines properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Another possibility is the brushes are sticking in their guides, so they are not moving out against the commutator as the brushes wear.

If they are indeed wearing quickly, then the commutator is likely damaged or worn, as said before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dedubliner1978

Thanks for replies, i have had a chance to take machine apart and the brushes are actually fine, sorry!
    The spinning piece attached to the drain motor has broken off and was stopping it from turning.

Need to figure out how it stays in place not very obvious, tried putting it back on but just pops off after 2-3 mins.
    Glue/silicon? any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dedubliner1978

going to close this thread as title is misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

/Thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement