Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charged €240 for internet use over two days

• 14-02-2012 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

My girlfriend was in London and used her Vodaphone internet key twice when there over two days. She didn't download any films etc, she only looked at emails, a few webpages and so on.
    Vodaphone charged her €120 a day for the use and said it didn't matter how little she used it as she had to pay for two different 24 hr periods.
    She never got a warning when she reached the €50 cap as you are supposed to by EU law. She challenged them about this but they said it is for Data Roaming on a phone only and not for an internet key. The limit for an internet key is €300. They also said they are not responsible as they cannot monitor foreign useage and so issue a waring in due time.
    I am seething. I've suggested the Small Claims Court.
    Anyone have any ideas? All advice welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

I have no idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

pychofairy wrote: »
    My girlfriend was in London and used her Vodaphone internet key twice when there over two days. She didn't download any films etc, she only looked at emails, a few webpages and so on.
    Vodaphone charged her €120 a day for the use and said it didn't matter how little she used it as she had to pay for two different 24 hr periods.
    She never got a warning when she reached the €50 cap as you are supposed to by EU law. She challenged them about this but they said it is for Data Roaming on a phone only and not for an internet key. The limit for an internet key is €300. They also said they are not responsible as they cannot monitor foreign useage and so issue a waring in due time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1270 or
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=580

And read the T and C... Not sure because I don't use it, but as far as I know Vodafone plus roaming equals expensive. If it's in there, samll claims would be a waste of time.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

She should have read the T&C's!! Suck it up, it's a lesson learned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Have a chat with these guys, they'll tell you where you stand

http://www.comreg.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

A gun rampage in the Vodafone offices will draw attention to this injustice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

And you're gong to pay it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

talk to vodafone or perhaps consumer issues. AH probably won't be helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Emails eh? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Depends on whether or not she used the data or not.

I know Three charge me something like £1.20 per meg when im back in ireland.

One thing you need to be aware of is if you used it with a laptop its possible you had windows updates running. Its not uncommon for windows updates to run into 50's or 100's of mb.

If this is the case then you are liable for the charges regardless of whether you were aware of the download or not.

Whether they are supposed to warn you or not is another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

sadly people getting raped by internet charges while abroad are not new..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Just switch to another provider, Look you know Vodafone are a rip so just F em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pychofairy wrote: »

For? providing a chargeable service you used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If she had an account with 3 IRL network she could use the stick on any other 3 network in Europe without roaming charges. High Charges only apply if your stick is operating from another network, you can set your stick to avoid this.

My brother had a similar bad experience with Vodafone, I wouldn't touch them again with a bargepole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

While the charges might be legal, they're not moral!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

I was caught for €20 before, but it was because I pressed the wrong button on my phone and I had the service switched on. It was my own fault though, I can't cry about terms I agreed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1270 or
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=580

And read the T and C... Not sure because I don't use it, but as far as I know Vodafone plus roaming equals expensive. If it's in there, samll claims would be a waste of time.

This.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement