Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when to get another dog?

• 14-02-2012 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

I lost my 17 yr old male dog in August '11.
    My other dog who is 12(female) was very close to him. she was like his "guide dog" when he got older. he depended on her a lot. if u watched them, most of her day was spent bringing him around the place.
    since then she seems longing for another companion. she stands in the front garden looking up the road for some of her buddies to come down (they come to the window for her every few days).
    Im not sure if its time to get her a new dog, but im worried they wont get on.
    we were looking after a dog for about 2 days, she went for him at the start but within a few hrs they were sleeping next to each other.
    I have never actually got a dog, all the dogs ive had just turn up as strays.
    has anyone had a pair of dogs and lost one of them? did u get company for the remaining dog?
    how did they get on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I'm sorry for your loss, sounds like they were great buddies and your description of them is very sweet.
    It definately sounds like she is pining for a companion.
    She must be so lonely without her big brother:(

If you are up for considering a rescue dog, the shelter will let you foster for a short while first to make sure the two dogs are compatible:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My only concern with a 12 year old dog is that a young companion may wear them out. Though others may be able to tell you - maybe a young dog breathes new life into an older one!

There are always older dogs looking for fostering/rescue because people always want a young dog, so if the Pom cross is quiet and relaxed, perhaps she would be best suited to another older and quiet dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

there's no doubt company keeps a dog young. if you go to a rescue you will have the option to foster, you could also look at getting another older dog so your girl doesnt feel to stressed with a young energetic dog getting in her face.

as for her getting along with it, i think you'll find that most dogs, after adjusting to the intruder, get on quite well with new additions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

My female JRT really pined for our GSD when he died. I never knew a dog could change so much over night. She just sat there staring into the fire.

I got another GSD about 3 months later, he was 6months old..That brought her back to her playful self, she's only 3.

Then, I took a rehome rottie, (long story, normally wouldn't do that, though, on the basis of giving it back if it didn't work) and it did, they all get on great.

It's the way you integrate them that counts. I do have to limit how much the 2 younger ones play/annoy the older one though as she's old and stiff.

I always introduce a new dog away from the house on neutral territory. That way, they are all entering the house together.

The Jrt wants to sleep with the rottie now, I think she knows her days are numbered:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My last three dogs all arrived unannounced & into a house with existing dogs. If you don't make a thing out of it then they won't. I found my last arrival dumped whilst walking my other two. So I literally took two for a walk & came home with three :D

My two elder ladies instantly took to the young male upstart & took great delight in putting him in his place. He spent his first night sleeping between them on the same dogbed.

I wouldn't worry about any age gap. I had an elderly boxer & a middle aged Saluki. I came home with a 6 month old Greyhound girl & the old Boxer adored her ! Most rescues will welcome you bringing your dog along & it's a good idea to take them for a walk together so that they are both on neutral ground.

The key is to chill & let them sort themselves out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

I have had a mixed experience. Four years ago, when my collie-cross reached 12, I thought it was time to get her a companion and got another female rescue collie pup. They never bonded but co-existed, and as my old girl slows down and is partially deaf and blind, the young one (also female) makes her life pretty miserable by subtly driving her away from the rest of the family and confining her in the kitchen. On the plus side the vet did say that the arrival of a new dog often gives literally a new lease of life to the older animals, and certainly I feel that at times the old dog appreciates that there is another dog around to take over 'guarding' the place. I guess it is luck and the personality of the new dog that is important in the set-up. Good luck!

my dog is a nightmare when he's out, excited/agressive/obsessive over every dog he sees, will snap if given the chance. i've had about 8 fosters in the time i have had him and he's been fantastic with everyone, largely ignoring them but never being aggressive to them. i think it's in the very few cases there would be a problem, you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

i might inquire and see if they will let me bring my dog along, to see which she gets on with. she seems to get on better with male dogs.

Renno123 wrote: »
    i might inquire and see if they will let me bring my dog along, to see which she gets on with. she seems to get on better with male dogs.

do and good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alandublin33

Its tough to lose a dog , it can be harder than losing a relative at times (speaking for myself) I think if you got a pup there might be a better reaction with your dog , I had a rotty and a bulldog , when the rotty died it was hard to ever think of getting a replacement but after 5/6 months I got another , the bulldog didnt know what to make of the rotty pup and didnt see her as s threat because she was so small , but after about 6 months there was a bit of a power struggle as in growling and a bit of biting , but after a month or so the bulldog realised the rotty was the new boss and now they get on great , even sleeping in the same kennel

• Advertisement
Advertisement