Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pre owned ps3 problem

• 14-02-2012 12:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭

hi really annoyed with hmv staff in liffey valley at the moment.

bought a used ps3 120gb slim today after ringing looking for one etc etc and was guaranteed this ps3 was flawless after explaining i was 1 hour 10 minutes drive from the shop.

so i make the long tedious journey up and collect my ps3 and was delighted tbh, got home earlier this evening and set the console up through hdmi lead. problem occured when i was getting sound through the hdmi lead no picture so quickly fiddled around with different hdmi leads and ports etc and same thing again and again..... obviously they checked the console on the composite leads and never got the fault etc..

my issue is i wasted 1 hour 10 mins driving up then the same home so 25 euro diesel roughly and 2 hours 20 minutes driving which ill have to do the same again tomorrow, used consoles are hard to come by in hmv and the 160gb are v rare as cant get them from suppliers apparently.

i got the console for 179 euro on my giftcard and need to find the same console same price etc instore what im thinking is will they as a good gesture offer me a reduced rate on a new 320gb console?? i think they should after all this hassle.. your views please?

also the console was not cleared as personal info and photos belonging to some random guy of his kids etc surely that should have been erased too??

any views from our hmv staff on this one?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

hi really annoyed with hmv staff in liffey valley at the moment.

bought a used ps3 120gb slim today after ringing looking for one etc etc and was guaranteed this ps3 was flawless after explaining i was 1 hour 10 minutes drive from the shop.

There's your first problem right there..."used" - quite probable you bought someone elses piece of dirt.
    so i make the long tedious journey up and collect my ps3 and was delighted tbh, got home earlier this evening and set the console up through hdmi lead. problem occured when i was getting sound through the hdmi lead no picture so quickly fiddled around with different hdmi leads and ports etc and same thing again and again..... obviously they checked the console on the composite leads and never got the fault etc..

If they checked it at all
    my issue is i wasted 1 hour 10 mins driving up then the same home so 25 euro diesel roughly and 2 hours 20 minutes driving which ill have to do the same again tomorrow,

Not relevant(sorry, but it's not).
    used consoles are hard to come by

Good.
    in hmv and the 160gb are v rare as cant get them from suppliers apparently.

i got the console for 179 euro on my giftcard and need to find the same console same price etc instore what im thinking is will they as a good gesture offer me a reduced rate on a new 320gb console?? i think they should after all this hassle.. your views please?

I believe used consoles come with a 3 month warranty, so the usual repair, refund, replace apply - not give you something better for the same price.
    also the console was not cleared as personal info and photos belonging to some random guy of his kids etc surely that should have been erased too??

Why should HMV delete any data? If I was trading in anything it would be my responsibility to clear personal details.
    any views from our hmv staff on this one?

Am not an HMV staff, just my tuppence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

Spot on fingers! Buying a used console is always risky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Turn it off, then hold down the power button until it beeps three times.

This resets the HDMI port or something.

Might help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Turn it off, then hold down the power button until it beeps three times.

This resets the HDMI port or something.

Might help?
    absolutely brilliant mate thank you so much...

i was really surprised as the console is in fantastic condition not even a mark on it like

now can anyone tell me the quickest way to erase all data on the system? there are like 30 movies stored on it lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

now can anyone tell me the quickest way to erase all data on the system? there are like 30 movies stored on it lol

On xmb go to setting, system setting, there is a format utility there.

F1ngers wrote: »
    On xmb go to setting, system setting, there is a format utility there.
    nice one fingers......

mondo83 if anyone wants to add me guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

See if you can sign into the PSN account! Might be some games you can download :)

tried that, looks like he was just using it to store movies mostly kiddie ones too prob bought it and the wife said your not playin that ya big dah dah head lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Glad you got it working!

Not to put a damper on your purchase Dark-Knight but do you not think €179 is a bit
    expensive for a used console? I got a brand new, sealed and unused 320GB one with
    a game just after Christmas in Xtra-Vision for €200.

I appreciate you had vouchers to use in a specific store but still seems a bit of a rip off.

Also HMV don't seem to be great on the PS3's. I went in to buy one in there and the guy
    told me 'the book was lost and to come back later' as he didn't know the offers so i
    walked straight back out again, lucky enough to find Xtra-vision on my way out.

I know
    i'd likely wipe my console if i was going to trade it in, but i don't think you should have
    gotten somebody else's console with their data on it. I'd say the guy would be pissed off
    if he knew you were watching his movies, looking at pictures of his family and probably
    not but possibly entering his Playstation account. Some people could use this information
    maliciously.

Does anybody know if its HMV's responsibility to wipe the systems or the previous
    owners?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Glad you got it working!

Not to put a damper on your purchase Dark-Knight but do you not think €179 is a bit
    expensive for a used console? I got a brand new, sealed and unused 320GB one with
    a game just after Christmas in Xtra-Vision for €200.

I appreciate you had vouchers to use in a specific store but still seems a bit of a rip off.

Also HMV don't seem to be great on the PS3's. I went in to buy one in there and the guy
    told me 'the book was lost and to come back later' as he didn't know the offers so i
    walked straight back out again, lucky enough to find Xtra-vision on my way out.

I know
    i'd likely wipe my console if i was going to trade it in, but i don't think you should have
    gotten somebody else's console with their data on it. I'd say the guy would be pissed off
    if he knew you were watching his movies, looking at pictures of his family and probably
    not but possibly entering his Playstation account. Some people could use this information
    maliciously.

Does anybody know if its HMV's responsibility to wipe the systems or the previous
    owners?

Policy would be to format the system, but most staff wouldn't be bothered to. A console test should include HDMI and component testing, but again, most staff wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

I still think you should have got a new one, i'm sure this is only a temporary fix! Enjoy it while it lasts!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I also got a new one at Xmas, for around the €200 mark.

You have to ask yourself why it was returned in the first place ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

I still think you should have got a new one, i'm sure this is only a temporary fix! Enjoy it while it lasts!:pac:

Its not a temporary fix,
    It was never broken to start with,
    Its just that the video setting were set in a way that the op's tv could not handle the signal.

Holding the power button completely resets the video signal to the lowest settings so any tv can pick up the signal.

eddhorse wrote: »
    I also got a new one at Xmas, for around the €200 mark.

You have to ask yourself why it was returned in the first place ?

Not returned, traded in.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Not returned, traded in.

Gotta say I'm delighted with it now it's immaculate!!

Apologies for rapping hmv staff frustrating when I thought ir was faulty that's all

It could have been broken easily enough :rolleyes: a lot of the times, its the component thats checked, or xboxs checked to make sure its not RROD.

I gotta be honest I'm a fanboy of sonys biggest rival but my god the ps3 slim is a nice looking piece of kit

Advertisement