Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cartomizer advice needed

Options
  • 14-02-2012 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi folks :)

Been off the analogues now since September and really happy with my ego-t. It's taken me from 30+ cigarettes a day to none, and it was so painless! My mum and brother are also vaping converts - both heavy smokers who've found giving up easy.

Coz I'm feeling a bit adventurous with my vaping now, I decided to give cartomizers a try, so I've bought a selection from tbs - Smokymizers, dual coil lr xl and Kanger 510 LRs.

The dual coil's been great - after I put plenty of juice in...think I'll be getting more of them. The Kanger's so so...first one out of the pack had something seriously wrong, coz every draw I took felt like a punch to the face! Second one wasn't like that at all, it made my menthol juice taste nice and sweet. I'm having trouble with the smokymizer though - it's eating juice like mad. I've just filled it, taken 4 draws and already it's half gone. It doesn't seem to be leaking (I keep checking my battery to see if there's pools of juice in there, but there's not a drop). The filling of it's a bit faffy, but I don't mind that.

I'm just wondering if the disappearing juice thing is normal, or if its going into the battery somehow?

One more thing...any tips for filling cartomizers?

Lil

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i noticed something similar with the smokeymizers

not as extreme as yours I dont think, but even though I heard they were a "fill in the morning, vape all day" carto.. they just ate juice for me. That plus the condensation under the drip tip and the hassle involved in filling is what kept me from ordering them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

Cartomizers,, hold at a 45 degree angle and drip from your bottle. When filler is saturated, it's "full". However, it's good to have a little patience, and not drip into them too quick, or else you can end up over overfilling, and wasting juice.

As a defender of the Smokeymizer, I was your average pack a day smoker. Equating this to juice in my Smokeymizer I find that 3 fills a day is loads, and it's more like 2 and a half fills a day does me. This is approx 20 ml juice in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 finnvalley

Thanks for the replies :)

After much googling, I found a site telling folk to stick the condom on the end of the smokymizer when you're filling them, from the moment you unscrew it from your battery, all the way to putting the drip tip back on...seems to work well, coz its sorted my problem of the juice flowing out when I fill it.

As for the disappearing juice...wasn't so bad tonight. I filled a new smokymizer and was able to watch the whole episode of Grimm before a refil. Not great, but a bit better. Think I'll go back to attys and tanks for my regular vape and use the DCCs for the occasional extra hit.

Is it normal for the DCCs to get very hot though? Coupla times today I had to leave it down to cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

The DCC's do get hot - sometimes very hot. That's why a drip tip is normally recommended with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Just after picking up some 510 XL cartomiser's from thevapourstore, after getting sick of leaky tanks. The flavour's kind of subdued and metallic (foam saturated, pushed down towards wick, as suggested in other threads), and there's not much vapour unless I pull EXTREMELY hard for the full five seconds.
    Is this the norm, or just a dud cartomiser?
    In work at the moment, so can't spend time fiddling about 'til tonight.
    Hopefully just a dud, but very disappointing if not.

• Advertisement

the only cartos vapourstore seems to have are dual coils so that does sound very strange for them they're usually powerhouses, although if you are getting a metallica taste then it's possible cartomisers just aren't for you. Some people cant taste much/anything from the filler inside cartomisers some people can only taste the filler and so can't vape cartomisers at all

what resistance did you get? 2ohm, 1.7ohm, 1.5ohm

2ohms should still work fine on an ego battery though, so i dont think even that would be the issue...
    . it is possible you just picked a dud to take to work today. if it doesnt improve by the time you get home, try one of the others

oh and for the next one you try.. maybe don't push the foam down. I can see why that would be useful in certain situations but in general it might end up doing more harm than good, if it restricts airflow or... something
    *shrug*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Cartos can be (IMHO) very fussy about how much liquid is in them. If you're sure the filler was saturated, then it's possibly a little overfilled (especially if the draw seems tight and gurgly). If this is the case it will improve as you use it (taking 4/5 very hard draws may help), and the trick then is to keep it filled at around that point. When filling a new one in future, I always found it helped to hold the carto over some tissue and blow into it, this will blow any excess liquid out the battery end, and give the battery end a good wipe.

I got the 2 ohm cartos, 'cos some users and shops recommend not using/have a restricted warranty using lower. Didn't much fancy the idea of too much extra heat anyway, it wasn't one of the things I liked when smoking.

I pushed the foam down after taking bad drags, just in case there wasn't enough contact with the wick. Doesn't seem to be any problem with airflow, just a strange taste, and WAY less vapour than I was getting from the atty/tank combo.

The two cartos I've tried have gotten better tasting with time (is there a break-in time?), and stevenmu's point re: over-filling was spot on.
    Maybe it's the heat that's making it taste off to me, or the filler. I guess I'll know better over the next few days.

Really wish there was as much of a throat hit and vapour.

Have I said that enough? ;)

Ta for all your help btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

It sounds like you have the same problem as me with carto's unfortunately. I get the 'filler taste' no matter what carto I use. Overpowers every flavour so much that I don't use them at all.

Every now and agIn I try one again but it's always there. I stick to the atomisers & tanks now as my main vape but I've tried some clearomizers over the last few weeks. They give great flavour, probably even better than the atties but are leak prone and often difficult to fill.

The eGo-W or CE4 might be worth a try for you.

tbh, whatever complaints you might have about dual coils.. lack of vapour really shouldn't be one of them, unless you're used to rocking 1.5ohms at 6v

the biansi imist should be back in stock at irishvapers this week, maybe give that a shot

• Advertisement

Okay, will probably try a few more things (ordered in $maller amount$), but good news!
    Just tried a third carto...

Incredible. Really deep flavour and tons of vapour. Just the luck of the draw (fnyar) then . The other two are still workable as back ups, may give them a clean to see if the taste is just a factory by-product.

if you're going to clean them, drop them in already boiling water for about 4-5 minutes (i think longer can damage stuff internally). i think you might have to do this 2 or 3 times.. let them cool down between each time, you'll know they are completely clean when the steam coming up from the saucepan doesn't smell of whatever juicen you have inside.
    to dry them out, throw them onto a baking tray and put them in the oven at a low-ish heat for a while or you can just blow them out (lips around the battery end, blow onto a tissue.. repeat) and leave them battery end up somewhere warm overnight but the important thing is you really want to make sure you get all that moisture out, as you do not want mould to start growing inside the carto and start vaping it.

as to the third one working, that's great. I have had the unfortunate batch of 5 dual coils where 2-3 were just ****, but when you're using disposable products that are so new to the market it's just something you have to learn to accept. if you stick with them, over time it will average out that you get quite a bit more good cartos than bad.. it just doesnt feel like that when you buy a small group together and 2-3 of them are ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

I find the Smoktech DCC to be very incosistant - their DCC ego cartos are more hassle than they're worth.

Can't go wrong with the Boge cartos, they'll never fail you. TBS has LR XL Boge cartos that will work every time and give you a ton of vapour and flavour. They aren't dual coils but they're a lot better.

they're better in terms of flavour, but not as warm as the dual coils iirc. i havent had a dual coil in a while, but i was using some boges on an ego batt for the past few days. was nice enough.

Advertisement