Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does moving in with your partner mean to you ??

• 14-02-2012 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Is it for convenience, stronger commitment, or are you using it as a trial marriage and what are the advantages and disadvantages.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Round the clock lovin'

But mostly to have a retort to "we don't spend enough time together,"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sex on the kitchen table :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Not as much as movin' out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Advantages - get the dishes cleaned.

Disadvantages - have to clean the dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Halvsies on Dominos. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Sneaking into her bedroom with a bottle of chloroform...

She'll never suspect the closet this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Squatters rights

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

depends how old you are.

if you're pretty young, what are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You want to know me?
    Come live with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Tweet0004

Lovin' should be good for the morning.:D:D

• Advertisement

Also climbing out the window for nights out with friends - Calpol my secret weapon, i make such great tea with it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You move in so you can find out the little things about each other that become big things before you break up.

Rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

So you know that you should never marry them and it was all a big mistake in the first place.

(posted while missus has gone off to bed and I'm in living room on laptop)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Well usually it's only for 10 minutes...

Is it weird I call prostitutes just to talk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

That I promise to bathe regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alandublin33

the end of all fun , where ya goin , what ya doin , my friend has a birthday party we have to go to , then she says what do ya want for dinner then gives you 10 reasons why thats not what were havin ,DONT ASK WHAT I WANT IF YOURE NOT GONNA DO IT!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

It meant a step closer to marriage and longterm commitment.

The disadvantages were that I couldn't just suit myself anymore and had to have a real life lesson in the meaning of compromise.

The advantages were that I realised I'd rather set my face on fire than take marriage vows with that person.

On a more general note though I suppose it gives you auchincloss better insight into your partner and how compatible you are together.

the end of all fun , where ya goin , what ya doin , my friend has a birthday party we have to go to , then she says what do ya want for dinner then gives you 10 reasons why thats not what were havin ,DONT ASK WHAT I WANT IF YOURE NOT GONNA DO IT!!!

Your bird wouldn't cook your steak?

Thats just wrong. Sounds like you need to put your foot down and show her who's boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

We raise a cat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

It means Philomena Begley to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Tweet0004 wrote: »
    Also climbing out the window for nights out with friends - Calpol my secret weapon, i make such great tea with it.:D
    Are you shacked up with a toddler?

mikom wrote: »
    You want to know blow me?
    Come live with me.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alandublin33

ive lost the plot plenty of times , not worth the hassle , big arguement then the moany face for the day , n when ya say what the fook is up with u , ya hear "nothin"

No, but nights out with friends seem to becoming less. Have to answer now where i am going, having not done this since living with parents.

No seriously asking because we have moved in together, after been together a few years, and listening to friends saying it is good, and others saying it is bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Far fewer blow jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Maybe it depends on the age and cultural differences, but one thing I found weird about living in Ireland is how many young people do the whole moving in thing for several years, then get engaged for several years, and then kind of sink into this netherworld of neither here nor there until their 30s. Out of my circle of close friends from home in the US, I only had two friends who moved in with the OH before getting married, and in one case, they were already engaged and it made sense to move two months before the wedding because his lease was up.

The way I look at it, either shit or get off the pot. But that's just me.

ive lost the plot plenty of times , not worth the hassle , big arguement then the moany face for the day , n when ya say what the fook is up with u , ya hear "nothin"

So what you're saying is you're happy you're living together?! :pac:

Maybe it depends on the age and cultural differences, but one thing I found weird about living in Ireland is how many young people do the whole moving in thing for several years, then get engaged for several years, and then kind of sink into this netherworld of neither here nor there until their 30s. Out of my circle of close friends from home in the US, I only had two friends who moved in with the OH before getting married, and in one case, they were already engaged and it made sense to move two months before the wedding because his lease was up.

Tbh, I prefer our way. Get to know someone before you make one of the biggest commitments of your life. Don't understand the whole engaged-for-a-decade thing but the tendency towards short engagements in a lot of parts of the US is weirder to me than living together and getting to know the person you're going to (possibly) spend the rest of your life with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

To me it means not just under the same roof but exact address. Seems i'd have to really like the girl regardless, so it'd be ideal

til she start hatin on me n screaming like banshee

Some sh*ts take a lot longer than others.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikom viewpost.gif
    You want to know blow me?
    Come live with me.

FYP

Take note AngryBollix.
    Spread wrote: »
    Far fewer blow jobs!

Millicent wrote: »
    Tbh, I prefer our way. Get to know someone before you make one of the biggest commitments of your life. Don't understand the whole engaged-for-a-decade thing but the tendency towards short engagements in a lot of parts of the US is weirder to me than living together and getting to know the person you're going to (possibly) spend the rest of your life with.

What would be considered 'short' though? I guess that's the crux of the difference.

What would be considered 'short' though? I guess that's the crux of the difference.

I've heard of people in the US being engaged within six months of meeting each other and married within a year of that. Have heard fewer but still a few stories of people meeting and marrying within a year. IMO that's bonkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I've heard of people in the US being engaged within six months of meeting each other and married within a year of that. Have heard fewer but still a few stories of people meeting and marrying within a year. IMO that's bonkers.

then try this an Irish guy coaxes naive antipodean girl into marrying within mere months, 4 or thereabouts in dublin she having had his baby already. It; concieved under sketches of her fanny but anyhow only then do they move in.. can't even affort heating but for the gas in a lighter which heats the spoon thing's over in mere weeks :/ what did Shakespeare say again?

"better to have loved and lost, than to have not loved at all.." mph.

• Advertisement

Hm, I'm probably the wrong person to have this conversation with; my OH and I knew we wanted to get hitched after three months. :o Granted, we're both in our mid 30s, and we weren't total strangers when we started dating, but that would probably be too big of a leap of faith for most people.

I'm certainly an extreme case, but given that the average marriage in the US lasts eight years, the whole 'dating for 4 years, engaged for 3' thing seems kind of silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

a ****ing headache......... dont do it any advantages youve heard disregard them immediately. women are like a venus fly trap they look lovely and they lure you in and then snap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

More socks and towels to pick up off the floor

given that the average marriage in the US lasts eight years, the whole 'dating for 4 years, engaged for 3' thing seems kind of silly.

It actually makes more sense in that case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ironed shirts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Yes, and divorce statistics from the US really back up that this is a better way of approaching things?

Waiting until you're married before you live with someone would be one of the most incredibly reckless and risky things you could do imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

mikom wrote: »
    Some sh*ts take a lot longer than others.

That brought tears to my eyes...you should get a job at Hallmark :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I live with my misses together for the last 7 years. Since I was 19, she was 23. We share our budget 7 years too.

I could not be happier. Newer put much though in to it. We were always happy together and we newer ever had any problems.

Btw we don't have kids, so it wasn't like we have to live together becouse I have shadowhearth juniors etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭Paddy Bateman

Is it for convenience, stronger commitment, or are you using it as a trial marriage and what are the advantages and disadvantages.
    Having to stop blasting piss down the kitchen sink

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭msbusterpuss

having someone to light the fire:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

No seriously asking because we have moved in together, after been together a few years, and listening to friends saying it is good, and others saying it is bad.

Living with your other half is all about patience. He/she show their best sides when you first start dating. Then small little nuances creep in. If you can take those early nuances with a pinch of salt, you're ready to move onto the next step, which may be becoming official/meeting parents etc. Followed shortly after that by 'moving in'. Here you will see more nuances you never noticed before, such as leaving boxers on the floor, hair from a hairbrush in the sink etc. Sometimes these things will drive you mad, but if you can remember all the nice/great things your other half does for you, picking up their boxers ain't so bad!

You should know what your partner is like with regard to finances also. If he/she spends all around him while you're more careful, a compromise is in order where both sides are happy with the arrangements.

Just because some of your friends have had bad experiences, doesn't mean you will. Maybe their personalities haven't adjusted to living with their other halves. Maybe they still expect to be wooed and charmed like they were in the initial stages of their relationships? I could be wrong, but I find that many people assume that living with your other half is just going to be an extension of the initial part of the relationship. The relationship does change to a certain extent in that you become more comfortable and understanding of each other.

Best of luck with the moving in and getting to know each other much, much better!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dial Square

I would say moving in together is a good idea before getting married. One important thing though is to leave it until you are together at least 2 years. I moved in with my ex after only a year of going out. Everything was great as we were still in the honeymoon phase with each other. We got married within two years of moving in & soon after things (she) changed a lot and I realised I couldnt bear being in the same room as her....marriage ended after 4 years....BE CAREFUL, BE VERY CAREFUL! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I wouldn't necessarily say it's about any of those. I would just say you do it if it makes sense. In my experience it is not much different, if you've been going out for a good while, spend all your time together anyway then it is great and much nicer than living with housemates. You break up, you move on, simples assuming you don't have kids etc. You should not be breaking up because of difficulties that arose from living together, then you obviously didn't know each other well enough, didn't spend much time together.

I'm currently about to move in with my OH, I'm excited coz I won't have to put up with annoying housemates that I dont get on with, I spend all my time with him anyway between both our houses, I can't remember the last time we had a night apart, we share everything and always have done, we've always done our food shopping together etc, we are not the type to be counting up who spent what. We are also more than ok with being together and doing our own thing at the same time, whether that means I'm studying and he's working on his computer. We could have moved in together a long time ago tbh but we were both happy in our respective houses, now that I'm in a position where it's not working out where I'm living at the moment, it is the ideal opportunity. We've also been through a lot together already, tough times so there is no issue as to the strength of our relationship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

To see if you love the person enough to be able to have them around all the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

About to move in with OH, going out nearly 2 years.

We get ALL the cats. Gonna be like one of them cat cafes
    http://scs.viceland.com/int/v17n2/htdocs/meow-meow-meow-329/cafe-of-cats.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement