Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make beats and remixes?

Options
  • 14-02-2012 3:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

I want to get into making electronic music and wanna know how to make beats?

Id love to do stuff like Apparat, James Holden, New Radiohead stuff etc..

If i use Logic or Protools, what programme would be best to use?

Also, how do u go about doing a remix?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

JajaD wrote: »
    If i use Logic or Protools, what programme would be best to use?

Dude, they are programs. Or to be specific Digital Audio Workstations (DAW).
    Best thing is to just download a trial of either of the above or something live Ableton or FLStudio and see how you get on. Learn by doing (there's also loads of tutorials on various aspects of production on Youtube).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

If you have some musical grounding, then you can approach this a couple of ways - If you don't then there are some workarounds, but much better to learn to make your own music and get a grip on that before approaching remixing (a sort of 'run before you can walk thing')

Remixing, many ways to do this.

Find the tempo of the original

Cut up parts using your daw once you have the track lined up correctly.

Use those part musically in a backing track you've made.

or, find the 'midi' data for the track online and create the track from the ground up.

If you're aiming to make commercial releases of the remixes - always seek the copyright holder permission to do this where possible.

I use ableton for remixing, has lots of tools for getting either the parts extracted i need or for ripping things by ear. Most modern DAWs have tools in there - all have pros & cons - so get demos as the previous post suggested.

As I initially said if you don't have grounding in the basics then tread carefully and get some basic plans sorted for learning or you'll end up hitting a lot of brick walls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

Neurojazz wrote: »
    If you have some musical grounding, then you can approach this a couple of ways - If you don't then there are some workarounds, but much better to learn to make your own music and get a grip on that before approaching remixing (a sort of 'run before you can walk thing')

Remixing, many ways to do this.

Find the tempo of the original

Cut up parts using your daw once you have the track lined up correctly.

Use those part musically in a backing track you've made.

or, find the 'midi' data for the track online and create the track from the ground up.

If you're aiming to make commercial releases of the remixes - always seek the copyright holder permission to do this where possible.

I use ableton for remixing, has lots of tools for getting either the parts extracted i need or for ripping things by ear. Most modern DAWs have tools in there - all have pros & cons - so get demos as the previous post suggested.

As I initially said if you don't have grounding in the basics then tread carefully and get some basic plans sorted for learning or you'll end up hitting a lot of brick walls!

Thanks :) Didnt know you could just line up the tracks on Logic and just change it around like that. Yeah i play piano and guitar and have been using protools (but still getting the hang of it)..

To the other post: I meant what other programmes (like ableton as neurojazz said) could i use.

Cool thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Logic is more than enough to do what you want to do.
    Dont get distracted by looking for that magic piece of software.
    if you want to remix you more than likely will want to know how to make a drum track(or beats I guess is what the kids call it now)
    search for tutorials on youtube.

Advertisement