Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Valentines Day

• 14-02-2012 5:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

So I am a single guy and I actually forgot that today was Valentines Day until the secretary in work came up to me and asked if I had any plans for tonight. I said no nothing particularly planed for tonight, to which she in a really patronizing and slightly pitying way said “aww not to worry!” and moved on to the next person to ask about their plans. I didn’t really understand this conversation and kind of just put it down to her being a bit of a weirdo (which she is) but then I opened google to look something up played the little animation and realized what day it is. Realizing her pity was not just because I was a boring bastard but that it was because I was a boring single bastard kind of pissed me off. I mean I’m not a sad lonely recluse living in a cave who has never gone out with someone I just don’t happen to be going out with someone at the moment and I certainly don’t need the pity of a trout faced minger because I don’t have a date this one day of the year.

We all know it’s a big crock of **** and that it was made up to sell cards, fill restraints and make jewelers money but do any of my fellow singles out there feel worse / lonelier on St.Valentines Day?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

No i have all my cats to keep me company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

I'm in a relationship and it depresses me!
    His mam at the weekend was shocked and appaled that we weren't doing anything but a.nice meal at home!
    I hate being told that oh i have to be romantic today.
    I'd prefer to get a rose when its for no reason and i'm not expecting it - not because hallmark say i have to get one and it costs a fortune!
    That said i will be giving the bf a card tomorrow evening :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

No, I'm single and I love valentine's day.

It's a day about showing affection to people you care about (it doesn't have to be restricted to people in relationships, don't you wish your Mum a happy V day?)

Embrace it, tell people in your life you love them and to have a nice day. It can create a great vibe if people don't take it awfully seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

later10 wrote: »
    It's a day about showing affection to people you care about

Woho... wankfest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Valentines day should not just emphasise but re-emphasise how great it is, not to be in love but to just be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

later10 wrote: »
    No, I'm single and I love valentine's day.

It's a day about showing affection to people you care about (it doesn't have to be restricted to people in relationships, don't you wish your Mum a happy V day?)

Embrace it, tell people in your life you love them and to have a nice day. It can create a great vibe if people don't take it awfully seriously.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

They hear me fappin'... they hatin'.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Doc wrote: »
    So I am a single guy and I actually forgot that today was Valentines Day until the secretary in work came up to me and asked if I had any plans for tonight. I said no nothing particularly planed for tonight, to which she in a really patronizing and slightly pitying way said “aww not to worry!” and moved on to the next person to ask about their plans. I didn’t really understand this conversation and kind of just put it down to her being a bit of a weirdo (which she is) but then I opened google to look something up played the little animation and realized what day it is. Realizing her pity was not just because I was a boring bastard but that it was because I was a boring single bastard kind of pissed me off. I mean I’m not a sad lonely recluse living in a cave who has never gone out with someone I just don’t happen to be going out with someone at the moment and I certainly don’t need the pity of a trout faced minger because I don’t have a date this one day of the year.

We all know it’s a big crock of **** and that it was made up to sell cards, fill restraints and make jewelers money but do any of my fellow singles out there feel worse / lonelier on St.Valentines Day?

Happy External-Pressure-on (and public exhibitionism of) Private and Personal Matters Day everyone.

The secretary is a loser. Realise how little her opinion is worth, and that she needs to do things like this to support her fragile ego. Then you be the one to pity her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

I often find, OP, the same people who throw in little comments on valentines day about it "being a pity" that your single with no plans with a partner" are the same people who are commenting how great it is that your single and free, or crying into shoulder after a massive row on a different occasion. just seems to be a characteristic of a person who likes to get a dig in all the time

So Id brush off that woman's comments with ease. Valentines Day is just another day on the calender as other posters have said, and its grand whether you choose to celebrate it or not. Your co worker just sounds nosy to be honest.

It's the one day of the year when everyone wishes they had one of those TVs from Sonic the Hedgehog 2. You know the ones you jump on and swap places with the other person?

If you're single you want to be with someone. All the cuddles, loving, sex, chocolate and food you could ever want.

If you're with someone you want to be single. Avoiding the arguments, high expectations, last minute panics and worries.

No one's happy on Valentines Day. Not even Hallmark now that the recession's hit. International day of gloom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

It's the one day of the year when everyone wishes they had one of those TVs from Sonic the Hedgehog 2. You know the ones you jump on and swap places with the other person?

If you're single you want to be with someone. All the cuddles, loving, sex, chocolate and food you could ever want.

If you're with someone you want to be single. Avoiding the arguments, high expectations, last minute panics and worries.

No one's happy on Valentines Day. Not even Hallmark now that the recession's hit. International day of gloom.

No I doubt many are familiar with it.:D

I don't mind Valentines Day, it was nice when I was younger, but I just don't pay attention to it. Don't see why one day of the year is designated as a day of love.

Ever'y day a day o' luv baby.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

No. Couldnt give a rats ass. Its just a day like any other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Hey, OP. Still time to pull my favourite singleton Valentine's Day stunt!
    Put a Valentine card made out to yourself through your hot neighbour's door. When they bring it round ignore all their denials that it's from them and invite them in out of the cold to discuss it. Wear clean boxers, and day that's in it, maybe offer a pancake breakfast. Dessert is up to you after that.
    Don't thank me. Just invite me to the wedding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lilymc

My partner also thinks it's a load of crap that is just a way of making money. First valentines we just got really drunk in the house. It was great craic. When I was younger the hype of vanetines day was good. Now we have a baby, don't have the money to spend it on crappy gifts for each other. So we bought our little girl a bouncer because she needs it and we love her, today is a day of love.
    OP, you're prob going to have a lot more fun single on Vanetines day then the majority of people in relationships do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Tomorrow a load of unsold chocolates, roses & hallmark cards will be very promptly discarded from the shops and replaced with Paddys Day junk, followed by Easter Eggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hasmunch wrote: »
    No i have all my cats to keep me company

Eh, sorry. I'm taking them to Fibbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I'm grand on Valentines. Sitting here hungry, in the dark, on my sixth bottle of beer watching some ball of **** chick flick with two couples.

What I wouldn't give for a lovely length of rope:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I'm grand on Valentines. Sitting here hungry, in the dark, on my sixth bottle of beer watching some ball of **** chick flick with two couples.

What I wouldn't give for a lovely length of rope:mad:

Yes I too am a rope enthusiast. You should subscribe to my bi monthly newsletter. All the latest gos on ropes.

Also I must add, your username I always read as Crème de Menthe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I'm doing sod all this evening apart from a game of tennis. My boyfriend is playing football tonight.

His dinner will be in the bin when he gets home.

Uhuh, oh yes. I don't dig no disrespect.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Happy External-Pressure-on (and public exhibitionism of) Private and Personal Matters Day everyone.

The secretary is a loser. Realise how little her opinion is worth, and that she needs to do things like this to support her fragile ego. Then you be the one to pity her.

Because her husband/boyf is cheating on her and she's suspicious and very insecure. :D

Didn't realise it was Valentine's day 'til I saw this thread!

What will I do tonight.....mmmm have a biiiiiiiiiig **** and watch the footy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Dont worry about it Im sure ye will all have dates next year.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Dont worry about it Im sure ye will all have dates next year.

C'mon! You can do better than that!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

to which she in a really patronizing and slightly pitying way said “aww not to worry!”

Fear not my little lebling,
    Click here to find your Boardsie love.

Beruthiel wrote: »

Jesus! Only one girl (I'm sure) on my list!!

Candy_gal, it's you and me, babe! :D

Bad Panda wrote: »
    C'mon! You can do better than that!

And you could do better then **** while watching a football match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

to which she in a really patronizing and slightly pitying way said “aww not to worry!”

Ehhhhhm.......small oversight in that yoke; Biggins is (as far as I know) a bloke, and (no offence Biggins) I'm not THAT desperate as to change sides!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I think most of my matches are women as well....is boards trying to tell me something?!:eek::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

sarahbro wrote: »
    That said i will be giving the bf a card tomorrow evening :S

A card? is that what you kids are calling it now??:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

My wife is more excited about that new My Big Fat Gyspy Wedding program which is on tonight...

Which suits me perfectly!

That and she's getting a root canal done in the morning so she was not going to do dinner and wine tonight anyway...

Which also suits me perfectly!

Actually, this could be one of the quietest, least pressurised Valentines Days ever.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

I do think Valentine's Day is over rated and is all about spending too much money, you should be able to tell people how you feel anytime not just this one over rated day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Hmm, I think "Boards Deals: Niamh" and I have a bit of a love/hate relationship...

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

It seems the only singletons I know who hate this day are the ones that generally hate being single anyway. The ones who say its so hard to meet anyone.

The only time it mattered to me at all is when I was a kid. Every valentines day the girls in school would ask everyone how many cards they got. And if you said none they'd slag you off. If you said 1 they'd say 'oh I got 5!!!' etc. the point was you can't win cos they did it so they could big themselves up. Which still goes on I think!

I did go out for a meal one valentines day. Worst meal ever. We were crammed into an extremely busy restaurant that added extra tables for the day. They were so close it was not romantic that you could hear your neighbours and had to shout to speak.

Like someone said - random acts of love and affection are better than a designated day for feeling pressured into it

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Precious1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Me and Terry it would seem.

Hmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

its just a day tbh, you make what you want out of it, the past few valentines before this i was in a relationship so i usually tried to go all out as much as i could for it :) and had fun too.
    and if your single you make the most of it in a different way, if you want, for me its watching titanic this morn, getting dressed up, going to something slushy with my mate, then some speed dating fun just for the laugh :pac:

so, a Happy Valentines Day to all!

my boardsies matches!

OutlawPete
    kfallon
    krudler
    Jemmaa
    wolfmoon87
    starbelgrade
    hondasam
    Gummy Panda
    Chuck Stone
    Skinfull
    The King of Moo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

bollocks to valentines day

It would seem that brummytom and I should have the love that dare not speak its name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Since when did Valentines Night become bondage night?

Since when did Valentines Night become bondage night?

Since forever.

Also shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

do any of my fellow singles out there feel worse / lonelier on St.Valentines Day?

Hell no. Barca, pizza and beer for me tonight :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I don't know about you but I've never actually met anyone who admits to liking it yet every year in Ireland, you see 100s of people walking around like drones clutching roses and teddies. Who are these people?

It's not celebrated in Spain, so I won't be celebrating it. And I also suspect me fella is a bit tight and is making excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

If you feel depressed and lonely on valentines day, just remember nobody loves you any other day of the year either...

Balmed Out wrote: »
    And you could do better then **** while watching a football match.

I know I can and have done many times.

This 'being a better person' lifestyle sucks in these months, but it'll all be worth while in the end!

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I don't know about you but I've never actually met anyone who admits to liking it yet every year in Ireland, you see 100s of people walking around like drones clutching roses and teddies. Who are these people?

People who feel under pressure from their other halves/society. I can do without the whole Valentine's day 'sentiment'. It's just all a bit false.

Happy Valentine's day! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

bluewolf
    strobe
    Millicent
    koth
    Wibbs
    robindch
    fungun
    Galvasean
    andreac
    Whispered
    Mike 1972

Right folks. I'll get the baby oil and we can get this Valentine's orgy started :D

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Called it quits with my gf on sunday and i feel...awful. Of couse taking a wander in the park at lunchtime with all those kissy couples wadnt the best idea. I feel like an overworked post office employee if you get my drift :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Me & the missus don't celebrate it, she's off to the cinema tonight with her mates.

If you have to show the person you are in a relationship how much you care 1 day of the year versus the other 364 days then you shouldn't be in a relationship.

F**K YOU CORPORATIONS

Casillas wrote: »
    Called it quits with my gf on sunday and i feel...awful. Of couse taking a wander in the park at lunchtime with all those kissy couples wadnt the best idea. I feel like an overworked post office employee if you get my drift :/

At least unlike so many people on these forums you showed some common sense and broke up before valentines day saving you from wasting money on flowers and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I always feel like sh1t on Valentines because it's my daughters birthday and I feel very very old. Her birthday bothers me more than my own.

And then feeling old and decrepit, I wander into work to be met with "awwwws" and reassurances that some day someone will want me when I say I have no plans for tonight.

Yawn. I'd rather be at home with a bottle of wine and big fat gypsy wedding than having hot sex with your fugly husbag so there!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

its not all fun for couples either ya know...

think of all the fellas who went out and bought flowers, a cuddly toy, a stupid card and went to the trouble of making his girlfriend wife dinner...

to find out the stupid bitch is in her reds :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement