Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poor quality tap water in D15 causing extremely dry skin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

That seems to be the case alright. I've heard new houses in Ratoath having problems and needing water softeners etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Murt10 wrote: »
    My point exactly. If thr water didn't have a taste off it then there would be no need for the Brita filter.

As I said, in other parts of Dublin tap water can be enjoyed without filtering it first

My point is that there isn't really a need (IMO) for a brita filter, it's just a consumer preference. The water doesnt taste that bad.

Although, seeing the posts that came after ours, maybe I'm just getting a better supply than the you are.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Gaspode wrote: »
    Water in D15 does not taste anything even close to foul in my experience. Dublin has a high standard of water quality in general, and D15 is no exception.
    Why throw money away on bottled water that in many cases is of no better quality or on some occasions even lower quality than the water from your tap? It is environmentally a poor idea too as all those bottles have to be recycled.

I find that a standard Brita filter jug will remove any residual 'taste' from the tap water. Much better idea than bottles.

I'd actually disagree. I'm originally from the southside, and the water that comes from the tap in my house is nothing like the water from the tap in my parents' house. There it's fresh, clean and odour free, whereas the water here is pretty much undrinkable imo as it tastes foul and smells of fluoride. I'd rather not buy bottled water, but with such a poor quality supply I have no alternative. And with water as bad as it is I have no interest in filtering it in an attempt to make it drinkable. It should already be drinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Zaph wrote: »
    I'd actually disagree. I'm originally from the southside, and the water that comes from the tap in my house is nothing like the water from the tap in my parents' house. There it's fresh, clean and odour free, whereas the water here is pretty much undrinkable imo as it tastes foul and smells of fluoride. I'd rather not buy bottled water, but with such a poor quality supply I have no alternative. And with water as bad as it is I have no interest in filtering it in an attempt to make it drinkable. It should already be drinkable.

One point, Fluoride is odorless, so whatever you are smelling its something else. What it is is another matter though. Like you, there is no way i'm gonna buy bottled water. There does seem to be a lot of people saying the D15 water is of poor quality as regards taste, and while i don't think its related to OP's problem of dry skin, we should not have to put up with water that many find tastes horrible (even though i myself don't notice to be honest). As one of the posters above said, there are different sources of supply, maybe there could be in issue with pipes/corrosion or something?

Can those who find the water tastes bad in D15 honestly taste a difference if blindfolded drinking it from similar glasses at the same temperature to bottled?. Genuine question!, i doubt i could.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

One point, Fluoride is odorless, so whatever you are smelling its something else. What it is is another matter though.

Fair enough, but there's a definite chlorine smell when the tap runs for a while, and as fluorine and chlorine are similar I always put it down to fluoride in the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

I can confirm, i have the same problem with skin on my hands from time when i live on Blanchardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Southside water tends to be softer water and over this way it's harder which can results in a difference in taste and the taste of the water we are reared with always seems 'right'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i don't know if it's directly related to hardness of the water or something else in it, as we used to live in navan where the water was always known for being very hard and my wife has only developed skin problems since we moved to D15 even tho she'd been on maternity leave in navan for about 3-4 months before we moved.

that said, we drink filtered tap water via our fridge the same as in navan and there is a distinctly different (in a bad way) taste from the D15 water since we moved.

it's portersgate btw, in case it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Zaph wrote: »

Have to agree with everything that zaph said im also originally from the southside and there is a big difference in water quality between here and the southside.
    On two occasions we had our water turned off 1st time for a few days, second time for almost two weeks because the water was contaminated (in Tyrrelstown) it was so bad they told us not to wash in it. (Turned out it was the developers fault the water was contaminated).
    Personally I would trust bottled water more than piped water, who knows how long that water was contaminated before it was turned off, if bottled water is found to be contaminated said company's name would be destroyed and they would find it difficult to sell bottled water again, where as its up to the council to ensure that the water in our pipes is clean and uncontaminated, personally I dont trust the council at all. I have to ask why they need so much chlorine in the water that you can smell it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The council are directly responsible for the quality of water from your tap and it must meet tough EU guidelines (enshrined in Irish law).
    The EPA do a survey of water quality most years as well, and the results can be found online. You can get quality results for water in your area from the council, here is the latest one.
    If you have a problem with smell, taste, cloudiness, etc.get on to them straight away.
    I'd suggest the OP does the same and mention the skin problems.

• Advertisement

Theres a bit difference between some houses less than a mile apart in D.15. I wouldn't drink our tap water its lifeless and has a taste. I'd have no problem with the water in the other houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

vibe666 wrote: »
    i don't know if it's directly related to hardness of the water or something else in it, as we used to live in navan where the water was always known for being very hard and my wife has only developed skin problems since we moved to D15 even tho she'd been on maternity leave in navan for about 3-4 months before we moved.

that said, we drink filtered tap water via our fridge the same as in navan and there is a distinctly different (in a bad way) taste from the D15 water since we moved.

it's portersgate btw, in case it makes a difference.

It could be that there is something in your supply or your pipes they have been digging up that way.

Sharrow wrote: »
    It could be that there is something in your supply or your pipes they have been digging up that way.
    that's the thing, it's not just one place.

it started after i took a job in the ballycoolin business park about 7 or 8 years ago, but it went away when i left that job.

then i got another job in mulhuddart and it came back. then i moved to clonsilla and it got worse and my wife developed the same thing, despite never having any problems living in navan and working in the city centre.

trust me, i've been through every aspect of my life that could be causing it, down to completely altering my diet over the course of the years and changing soaps, washing powders and detergents dozens of times, but the only thing (aside from spending the night wearing cotton gloves full of vaseline or silcox base or other heavy duty moisturising gunk) is to not be in D15.

before we moved here, i spent a couple of weeks working from home in 2010 and 2011 and it was almost totally gone in a week. i've been away for 2 weeks on holiday and it was gone within a few days, but whenever i come back, so does the dry skin, so unless it's something in the air or some other physical aspect of the location i can't see what else it could be, but i really am open to suggestions.

i'm looking into getting the water tested but until then, fire away. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Hard water just contains calcium and magnesium ions, it's not bad for your skin and it's actually good for your bones and teeth.

The only problem with hard water is that it tends to coat your kettle and plumbing with magnesium or calcium (limescale) and it also makes it hard to get soaps to foam.

The only thing that could be causing dry skin problems might be too much chlorine or if the pH value of the water was way off in either direction.

If you are that concerned about it, see if you can get a sample of the water tested.

Also, make sure it's not a problem with your own domestic water tank in the attic. I know a few people who have had horrible skin problems due to bacteria growing in the tank. Perhaps go up and take a look in the tank to ensure that it's not full of scum and doesn't have any dead insects or rodents in it!

Also, try using shower gel rather than soap. Traditional soaps can be really harsh on the skin.

Check your laundry too. Is your washing machine rinsing properly ? Low water pressure can cause them not to fill properly. I had this problem and it resulted in seriously nasty rashes as I had washing powder in contact with my skin.

Also, don't use over-scented laundry products or shower gels.
    The non-bio laundry detergents being safer for your skin doesn't make much sense either. The main allergy culprits are usually highly scented products like softeners that are added to the final rinse and products that deliberately cling to clothes afterwards like those e.g. time release scents and stuff like that that some detergents advertise as a feature.

It's hard to beat old-fashioned Persil powder Bio or Non-Bio or SureCare (non-scented)

it's not the water tank unless a dead rat has followed me through 2 different jobs and then moved in with us when we moved house to live in D15. :)

tried (literally) dozens of soaps and shower gels and now pretty much exclusively use sanex zero as it's got feck all of anything in it. even use it on my hair and it does a lovely job.

3 different washing machines in 2 different houses with probably 6 or more different detergents, settled on fairy non-bio now with the baby and it seems to be doing well on that front and my wife always does an extra rinse on everything just to be on the safe side, especially with a baby.

next? :D

It wouldn't that surprising if they'd plumbed the water tank wrong. Ours was. it might be plumbed so that water isn't moving as much as it should.

BostonB wrote: »
    It wouldn't that surprising if they'd plumbed the water tank wrong. Ours was. it might be plumbed so that water isn't moving as much as it should.
    the water tanks in 2 different offices and my new home that i've only been in since december? :confused:

Unfortunately abysmal plumbing is fairly common.

That said I do think the water supply in parts of D.15 is not as good as others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you're concerned about the water, get it tested. A quick Google will give you the names of labs.

Also, you can fit ion-exchange filters, active carbon filters and all sorts of fancy stuff to your incoming water supply. It's pricy, but if you've a problem with the water supply that is impacting on your skin, it might be worth trying.

Again, a bit of Googling and research would find you some good options.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've noticed recently that after a shower my skin - particularly on my hands and feet, gets dry and sometimes cracked and itchy. I live in Castkeknock. I do think that something in the water in Dublin 15 is drying out people's skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Washing your hands 30 times a day could be part of the problem :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Yep my hands are in bits but I expect its from washing baby bottles every day......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

fisherking wrote: »
    Yep my hands are in bits but I expect its from washing baby bottles every day......

Rubber gloves are your friend!

And for an extra treat slather your hands in cream, pop on a pair of cotton gloves then the rubber gloves. The hot water in the sink really gives a lovely hot cream treatment.

Baby oil and sugar massaged on to the hands then washed off in clear warm water is great for the hands too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

100,000 plus people live in the area and there are less than a handfull of people moaning. you obviously have bad skin and it doesnt matter where you live work. I have lived in D15 for 34 years and the water is fine. also lived in more than 4 houses in the area. methinks you are wrong about the water.

All 4 houses maybe have been getting the same supply. Who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

100,000 plus people live in the area and there are less than a handfull of people moaning. you obviously have bad skin and it doesnt matter where you live work. I have lived in D15 for 34 years and the water is fine. also lived in more than 4 houses in the area. methinks you are wrong about the water.

A couple of million people live in the country and only a small handful moan every summer about hay fever.

As such a small proportion only complain its obviously all in their head. I'll be entering my 36th year in the country this year and the air is fine. Methinks they are all wrong about the pollen.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Such decadence in an era of austerity!!!!

fisherking wrote: »

Rubber gloves are your friend!

And for an extra treat slather your hands in cream, pop on a pair of cotton gloves then the rubber gloves. The hot water in the sink really gives a lovely hot cream treatment.

Baby oil and sugar massaged on to the hands then washed off in clear warm water is great for the hands too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭mustang68

vibe666 wrote: »
    it started after i took a job in the ballycoolin business park about 7 or 8 years ago, but it went away when i left that job.

then i got another job in mulhuddart and it came back. then i moved to clonsilla and it got worse and my wife developed the same thing, despite never having any problems living in navan and working in the city centre.
    before we moved here, i spent a couple of weeks working from home in 2010 and 2011 and it was almost totally gone in a week. i've been away for 2 weeks on holiday and it was gone within a few days, but whenever i come back, so does the dry skin,.........

I wouldn't be so quick to blame it on water, I have contact dermatitis, it follows a bizarre pattern, but not dissimilar to your own:
    • It goes away on holidays - This seems to be because of a reduction in cortisol, a stress hormone
    • Washing sets it off - any water and /or detergents strip the oils out of my hands
    • Working in different places1 - seems to be a stress issue again
    • Working in different places2 - had a cleaner who used pledge on my desk, my hands were bleeding because of it, but took me months to figure it out
    • Hobbies - wd40 when working on the car will ruin my hands for a week

What you might be doing is trying to simplify your very complex dermatological issue with saying it is Water, if I had wanted to I could have drawn the circle big enough to say my problems were caused by working in clean environments.

There are other issues that could be at play that you haven't considered, in fact it might be anything at all in your home for instance bedding, (you'll be wanting to change your pillow every six months and change your mattress more than never), carpets, car freshener, fungal problems or the interaction between many disparate factors.

Try not to be drawn into the asking someone do they have the same medical problem as you, again you'll be looking for your symptoms and the perceived cause. If I asked a handful of people who had recently moved to anywhere do they now have dry skin I think the result would be significant, but meaningless as lots of people develop dry skin, remember: many anecdotes don't make data.

Make an appointment with a consultant dermatologist (not just a GP) and get some proper medical advice also get the water tested. We created the fields of medicine and science for a reason :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 nomesc

I suffer from dry skin too especially the hands. Also hate the taste of the water here too. I recently tested a product from la roche posay called cicaplast baumme 5 (think thats the right name) was testing it for nappy rash but it's an all rounder cream and can be even used on the face. Found it great on my dry skin and the baby

Advertisement