Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privet Hedge - Cold Winter Survival

Options
  • 14-02-2012 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

I would like to plant a privet hedge.

Did they survive the winters of 2009 & 2010 ?

A lot of work in planting a hedge and I don't want to have to repeat it.

I have been advised to stick with laurel or beech, but I am not keen on those.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I planted bareroot whips in November 2010, just before the snow arrived. Cursed my luck. But every single plant survived and the hedge is doing nicely. They didn't even drop their leaves, nor this year either. Apparently they can do this in very cold weather but there you go. These are green privet. I think I read somewhere that golden privet is less vigorous. Very common type of hedge so whips are cheap as chips (paid 60 cents each). I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I have a hedge which is a mixture of both. still very young. 3 years old only a few foot high and believe it or not i have never got more vigorous growth than i did after the big freeze. tough as old boots is both green and variegated (golden) privet

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Great news. Will go with the privet

Thanks, lads (well, I assume you are lads)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I was the last time the wife looked

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Did they survive the winters of 2009 & 2010 ?

Yes, I've never seen one die.
    I have been advised to stick with laurel or beech, but I am not keen on those.

Laurel is ok, beech is nice as a tree but ghastly as a hedge in my opinion. Its leaves go brown and cling to it, I personally think that's ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Yes, I've never seen one die.

Laurel is ok, beech is nice as a tree but ghastly as a hedge in my opinion. Its leaves go brown and cling to it, I personally think that's ugly.

Beech and Hornbeam are both lovely trees and also make for lovely hedging too.:)

Hornbeam is hardier/sturdier than Beech and has pointier leaves.

Advertisement