Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card upgrade

Options
  • 14-02-2012 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

i have a hp G5470uk

with the following specs

ProcessorProcessor Brand:IntelProcessor Type:Intel Core i5Processor Speed:2.5 GHzMemoryRAM Size:4 GB (soon to be 8GB)
    Computer Memory Type:DDR3 SDRAMHard DriveHard Drive Size:1 TBGraphicsGraphics Card Description:Intel HD GraphicsGraphics RAM Type:DDR3 SDRAMGraphics Card Ram Size:1690 MB
    could some one recommend me a graphics card and if required a new psu.
    price wise i would say 200 tops but could stretch buy that if needs be
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

new PSU required, I'd reccomend Corsair - you could get away with the CX600 but I'd be more inclined to reccomend the TX550M, mostly as it has detachable cabling. You could also do the GS500 if you want something with LEDs on it. Everyone loves LEDs.

For a good GPU under 200 my money is usually always on the AMD HD 6770. From Nvidia you could also look at the GTX 550 Ti. On the slightly higher end look at the GTX 560 and the HD 6870.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mickmac91

Don't go for the XX70 versions of AMD cards, the bang for bucks is deffinatly on the XX50 versions (slightly slower, but sometimes up to 50 quid cheaper).

For about 150 you could get the AMD 6850, what I'm currently running.
    I haven't come across a single game it can't run on very high or ultra (mind I am running and I-7 2600 and 8gb ram @1333mhz with it) @1680x1400 resolution.

Tbh, unless your running on a higher resolution, buying a card that's any better would be a complete waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

cheers for teh advice so far if its any help this is my monitor http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS22CLUSFY/ZA

Ya, at 1080p the card would be worth it!

Outa interest, how much did that monitor cost you/where did you get it? I'm planning on upgrading mine this summer so I'm on the lookout for some good ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mickmac91 wrote: »
    Don't go for the XX70 versions of AMD cards, the bang for bucks is deffinatly on the XX50 versions (slightly slower, but sometimes up to 50 quid cheaper).

For about 150 you could get the AMD 6850, what I'm currently running.
    I haven't come across a single game it can't run on very high or ultra (mind I am running and I-7 2600 and 8gb ram @1333mhz with it) @1680x1400 resolution.

Tbh, unless your running on a higher resolution, buying a card that's any better would be a complete waste of money.
    the two sets are very close in spec, you're right. but shop prices and you can land on a decent step up. It's true you can typically tweak the clocks on a 50 to bring it up to a stock 70 in terms of general performance but also true is you can push a 70 a little farther on top of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Mickmac91 wrote: »
    Ya, at 1080p the card would be worth it!

Outa interest, how much did that monitor cost you/where did you get it? I'm planning on upgrading mine this summer so I'm on the lookout for some good ones!
    here you go
    http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2176133

would they be the best prices for the two bits?
    PSU
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=50912&agid=1628&apop=0
    GPU
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=50687&agid=1004

I'm not sure, I got all my stuff off pc pro, but I'm not certain how they stack up to other re-sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Medu

AMD 6850

Branding is OCuK but it's an Asus card and I believe it will come with a 3 year Asus warranty. ~30% faster than a 6770 for ~10% more.

Advertisement